Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
6 registered (Jay1946, woodenshoes, finallyhere, Obi, pluckmemory, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63994 Topics
446675 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#415317 - 11/04/12 06:58 PM Talking to my mom about how my brother abused me
Green Pumpkin Offline

Hope this is the right forum...

I believe I have to talk to my mother about how my older brother abused me so she knows to keep him away from my sister's kids - I know it willl come as a great shock to her, I would love some feedback on how to proceed.

Thanks!

#415343 - 11/04/12 10:24 PM Re: Talking to my mom about how my brother abused me [Re: Green Pumpkin]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
since no one else has jumped in here, and i don't want you to feel ignored, i'll kick this off...

first, welcome, Green Pumpkin! i hope you'll find the answers you seek here.

unfortunately, i can't supply the answer to this one. i never disclosed anything to anyone untill it was far too late.

however - there are threads about disclosure that i'm sure you would find helpful. do a search and see what you find in both the Male Survivor forum and maybe the Friends and Family. maybe some of the guys who have more personal experience can chip in with some good guidance??? For a start, here is an article that may help:

http://malesurvivor.org/ArchivedPages/singer3.html

i would encourage you to read about it and think it through thoroughly before taking action. AND - i do share your concern and think it is important to intervene for the sake of the kids. AND - it may also give you some unexpected benefits in your own progress. But there could also be some family conflict that arises.

in the meantime, don't be shy about joining in here. you are among friends.

Wishing you well,
Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#415418 - 11/05/12 06:12 PM Re: Talking to my mom about how my brother abused me [Re: Green Pumpkin]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
BUMP -

Please - somebody who has had experience in this - please respond.

thanks,
lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#415454 - 11/06/12 02:16 AM Re: Talking to my mom about how my brother abused me [Re: Green Pumpkin]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hi Pumpkin,
Lee has had some good points. Please read that article about confronting, that is one the hardest task to accomplish for some survivors.
I would be very sensitive when talking with family members, there are many cases when parents were non responsive, neglectful and non-supportive when some abuse happened in families. I hope your mother will be full with understanding but in any case please be ready for different outcome as well and look for some support outside your family.
Please share more with us, here is offered good opportunity to discuss it openly and to think more about.

Pero

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.