Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441810 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#415200 - 11/03/12 09:29 AM First therapy session/any SSRI experience?
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#415213 - 11/03/12 12:31 PM Re: First therapy session/any SSRI experience? [Re: Suwanee]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I share your concerns about SSRI side effects.

I have just started with buspirone, which lots of guys here talk about. (Do a search here in MS for buspirone and/or Buspar.)

It's a first step, and has little of the negative side effects of SSRI's. It's also not addictive like Xanax or Valium.

Buspirone is not commonly used or prescribed by the medical community because its patent ran out and so there's no longer a marketing budget for it...

As much as doctors like to think they are not prone to drug company advertising, they most certainly are.

If you're concerned about SSRIs, ask about buspirone first and see if that works for you before getting into something that's going to make you feel chemically lobotomized or increase your risk for nightmares.

Cant

#415215 - 11/03/12 12:38 PM * [Re: Suwanee]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:52 PM)

#415223 - 11/03/12 03:11 PM Re: First therapy session/any SSRI experience? [Re: Suwanee]
Jwmcd2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

First off, I know how hard it is to start on these meds, but they do help I think. I'm also a nurse so I've seen every aspect of the medications.
like others said, most side effects last roughly 1 month or less while your body adjusts to the meds. If they persist, the drug might not be right for you. Paxil, in my case, made me feel TERRIBLE but I could use Zoloft and I felt much better-- they are similar in chemical patterns but different with side effects.

Things you may have at first:
Dizziness, flu-like symptoms, difficult swallowing, extreme tiredness, hunger changes and libido changes. Most common problems tend to be sleep and libido related. Don't feel ashamed to tell her you're having side effects with those meds-- them disrupting your sex life (even personal sex life) are signs that your body is not tolerating the med well. Not all meds will give you the same effects-- it is really individual and unique.

Good on you for getting treatment though. Best of luck to you!

If you or anyone else has any questions, please ask.

#415226 - 11/03/12 04:35 PM Re: First therapy session/any SSRI experience? [Re: Suwanee]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.