Thanks for starting this thread Obi. 800-621-FEMA, btw.
Hope you guys in the NE are safe and dry. Electric? That would be nice, but it's not always possible, huh? But, while you've got electric, the genny or 3G/4G:Not that you don't have experience with these things, but I'll be a mother hen anyway...have a little - ok, a lot of - experience. Post-storm is often more dangerous than the storm itself.
• If you've never used a chainsaw, now is NOT the time to learn. (Even if experienced: 1. horiz cut 1/3 deep on the side of fall direction, 2. second cut 45º above it, 3. cut a couple inches above on the opposite side, but NOT all the way thru to keep stump from bouncing into your face).
• Do you REALLY need to get up on the roof? At least have a ladder buddy.
• That power line that's down in the street or puddle may not be sparking, but may still be charged. Great reason for the rubber hip boots.
• Keep the kids out of the water. May look like fun, but there's metal and broken glass underneath...not to mention bacterial nasties, fecal, etc. Get cut? Clean it, keep it dry, antibiotic and wrap.
• Candles and kerosene (fumes) not a great idea. If you must, go with the candles, but only if a responsible adult is in the room and never leave it unattended.
• Genny? Outdoors (along with the BBQ) and away from open windows. Not even in the garage. Not even under the eaves. Note which way the wind is blowing.
• That food in the fridge? Get together with the neighbors and do a BBQ in the first 24 or sooner. Otherwise, toss it. Not worth it to save a few bucks and get sick now, especially when hospitals are already inundated with injured.
• Oh, that tape you put on your windows? Take it off now. Now you've discovered it's useless in a windstorm, in a day or two it will dry out and be a real PITA to remove.And, hell, you're probably tired and not 100% on your vigilance. Yeah, drives me nuts not to have my yard the first one on the street to be cleaned up. I get that. But it will wait.
Occurred to me, too, if you have post-storm questions, PM me. Secrets have a bad rep on MS, but in this case I'll keep it a secret if you're clueless. What are friends for, right? And if I don't know, I'll tell you. Be safe.