Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442061 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#414333 - 10/26/12 07:48 AM Little Help Plz
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
I need some input from the ladies here:

What reading material and advice would you give to a mother of an 11-yo boy whom has been sexually abused by a family member whom he greatly loved?

I've been asked to do this gathering for a nameless child in my geo-area.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Still's Globs

New Video

#414353 - 10/26/12 10:54 AM Re: Little Help Plz [Re: Still]
Mel78 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm new here but I read "When the Man you Love was Abused" by Cecil Murphy, it was very helpful and would be helpful for the mother of a survivor as well.

...my 2 cents

#414399 - 10/26/12 06:06 PM Re: Little Help Plz [Re: Still]
Esposa Offline
F&F Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I haven't really read anything aimed at that age group - more for adults who were abused as children - but Beyond Betrayal is a pretty interesting read if a mother was interested in learning what types of things will become issues later. Therapy now... in the hands of someone skilled.

#414451 - 10/27/12 08:47 AM Re: Little Help Plz [Re: Still]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
I have been working with two boys who were abused over a a long period we began at a bout that age the older boy was 11. It is a very difficult process but they are doing so well today. they found a bond with me as a fellow survivor and that has carried some issues of its own. I don't know of any books or materials for that age group but as persons concerned you can remain involved and allow the child to talk about where he is at. the same fears that we as adult survivors face,he will face only in real time. the confusion is pretty much the same and he will probably need to have opportunity to re build trust in most everything. it is always a very individual experience. I wish there were more info for kids, I would be happy to have it too, but I would be happy to share what I can from experience just pm me.
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#414474 - 10/27/12 03:54 PM Re: Little Help Plz [Re: Still]
peacemaker67 Offline

Loc: WI
"Healing the Child Within" is a good book; as well as "The Wounded Heart"...
"Healing for Damaged Emotions" by David Seamans is also good, depending if faith is part of the value based environment or not.

I think if the boy is open, definitely a good counselor/maybe female? depending on who abused? but someone who is not family an "neutral" can provide a sense of safety and provide an environment of healing...
-Love is love when it is free; love is love when others don't feed on you as a "need". If we reach one person with betterment, and in turn that one reaches another, what power we have to change the world."

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.