Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (manipulated, wiresguy1, Jleed, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63801 Topics
445520 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#414227 - 10/25/12 03:56 AM Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat
Undefeated Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
http://www.sexualabuseresourcenetwork.or...ex-abuse-cases/

Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitations on Sex Abuse Cases

Published June 14, 2012

While a handful of states work to lengthen the statute of limitation on child sexual abuse cases, the Catholic Church is battling back, insisting that reliable evidence can't be found when several decades have passed. A story published by the New York Times reveals that the Catholic Church has already spent some $2.5 billion on legal fees, settlements and prevention programs. If states were to allow a wider "window" of time for child sexual abuse cases to be prosecuted, the church will certainly face even greater financial challenges and certain legal action.

The church has gone all-out to campaign against such legislation, getting bishops and parishoners alike to pressure legislators. Their urgency to maintain the status quo underscores their lack of concern for sexual abuse victims and their insistency to continue covering up their crimes.

If the hundreds of sexual abuse victims of Catholic priests are going to ever receive justice, it will require lifting the statute of limitations and finally making the church take legal and financial responsibility for their crimes against children. And, while the church continues fighting this measure, we see once again that its focus is not on the well-being of its victims, but rather on protecting its own.

Shame on them. Again.
Please share this message. Silence is a pedophile's best friend.

#414230 - 10/25/12 05:18 AM Re: Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat [Re: Undefeated]
crazy gecko Offline

Originally Posted By: Undefeated
Please share this message. Silence is a pedophile's best friend.

mad Posted on my blog...
You can play
-- Def Leppard

My Story, Part 2

My blog

#414248 - 10/25/12 11:39 AM Re: Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat [Re: crazy gecko]
Undefeated Offline

The lawyer who looked into my case and concluded that Colorado's statute-of-limitations prevented him from helping me, told me the Catholic Church had lobbied the Colorado legislators and succeeded in getting the law changed here and retroactively. mad

#414249 - 10/25/12 12:01 PM Re: Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat [Re: Undefeated]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Dammit, dammit, dammit. I was hoping for at least a glimmer. {{{{Undefeated}}}}

#414257 - 10/25/12 02:33 PM Re: Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat [Re: Lancer]
Undefeated Offline

Oh, I didn't explain well. This was the LAST lawyer, not the one that is currently getting ready to talk to me for a free evaluation. Hopefully the one that practices in my state can come up with a work-around for the statute of limitations. The first lawyer is not licensed in Colorado, so even had he concluded he had a case, there would have been another lawyer in Colorado as a partner with him. Hanging tight here waiting to hear when the consultation call will occur.

#415581 - 11/07/12 09:35 AM Re: Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat [Re: Undefeated]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

They have some nerve to fight the rights of the victims--the right to pursue their perp.

#415849 - 11/10/12 08:03 AM Re: Catholic Church Fights Extended Statute of Limitat [Re: Undefeated]
mcclendon Offline

Loc: Georgia
Thought I would share this book I just ordered on Amazon. Justice Denied by Marci Hamilton. "Hamilton proposes a comprehensive yet simple solution: eliminate the arbitrary statutes of limitation for childhood sexual abuse so that survivors past and present can get into court. Removing this merely procedural barrier permits the millions of survivors to make public the identities of their perpetrators and to receive justice and much-deserved compensation. Standing in the way, however, are formidable opponents such as the insurance industry and the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church. In Justice Denied, Hamilton predicts a coming civil rights movement for children and explains why it is in the interest of all Americans to allow victims of childhood sexual abuse this chance to seek justice when they are ready." http://www.amazon.com/Justice-Denied-America-Protect-Children/dp/1107673127

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.