Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, Jude, pow, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63559 Topics
444070 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#41417 - 04/28/05 11:27 PM SA recovery, and A.A. recovery
ShyBear Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The American South
When I got sober almost 19 years ago, I was tormented by my own guilt / shame - that somehow, I "should" have been able to "fix" my alcoholism. When I was in the treatment center, one of the thigs they emphasized was the medical model of alcoholism - that alcoholics truly do metabolize alcohol differently.

That was a a HUGE turning point for me, because then I was truly able to accept the AA slogan "I'm not a bad man trying to become good, I'm a sick man trying to get well."

I've struggled with trying to apply the same idea to recovery from SA - that bullshit that somehow it was my fault. But I could not get it to click - how one metabolizes alcohol is a *genetic* difference that I'm truly not to blame for, but SA - well ...

Then, just a few days ago, it dawned on me - I suffered terrible INJURY because of the SA, kinda like being in some horrible emotional/spiritual train wreck.

I was INJURED in an incident out of my control. To rephrase the AA slogan : "I'm not a bad man trying to become good, I'm an injured man trying to heal."

I have felt much stronger & more grounded in my SA recovery since.

#41418 - 04/28/05 11:42 PM Re: SA recovery, and A.A. recovery
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
ShyBear
Kinda like someone flicking the light switch on ?

Dave ;\)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.