Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442055 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#413595 - 10/18/12 10:06 PM A once in a lifetime opportunity...
Sacred_Sage Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thursday next week around 3:15, I will be talking to a class about male survivors. I know there are a lot of things I could talk about but what do you guys think should be the main point?

The class will be a Gender, Sexuality, and Society course based off of sociology.

#413602 - 10/18/12 10:53 PM Re: A once in a lifetime opportunity... [Re: Sacred_Sage]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hier sacred sage.

Well it seems in This topic Scot gave a pretty good idea of what needs to besaid.

I don't however emvy you in terms of sociology. I had to read a fair amount of sociology for my thesis, and sinse sociology is based on the idea of group interactions, gender sterriotypes, seemed fairly common in the subject, as in fact were the wrong sort of feminist views.

The fact however that your specifically! speaking on male victimization is encouraging, maybe someone in the field of sociology is taking notice?

Myself, I'd personally suggest reminding people that men can be victims as well as abusers (surprising this fact isn't known about academically), that women can be abusers, and that male sterriotypes can be as damaging as female ones might be a good way to go.

of course, this is just a personal suggestion and you might have other thoughts, depending upon how the class works. and your own experience, I just suggest this as a start.

#413632 - 10/19/12 09:25 AM Re: A once in a lifetime opportunity... [Re: Sacred_Sage]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
Sacred Sage,

You could talk about statistics (1 in 6 males) and how males aren't recognized in our society as victims, but yet are indeed victimized and how this conflict of gender role and reality of abuse plays out in male survivors struggling to heal themselves. That is, it could prevent males from healing. You could also talk about the societal (addictions, suicides, incarcerations, etc) and individual effects (depression, isolation, shame, etc.) of male sexual abuse and how it is a silent epidemic (pervasive) in society.

Best wishes on what you decide to talk about,

Caz

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#413662 - 10/19/12 03:44 PM Re: A once in a lifetime opportunity... [Re: Sacred_Sage]
Sacred_Sage Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks guys!

The instructor is from Poland and grew up during the War. She understands about victimization and witnessing tragedies unfold. She is an excellent professor and friend.

#413665 - 10/19/12 03:58 PM Re: A once in a lifetime opportunity... [Re: Sacred_Sage]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Excellent opportunity Sage. I think Caz has nailed it on a general outline for the talk. As a survivor I'm a little hesitant to suggest this, but for those who are outside I think the theme of male victims is appropriate.

One thing the prof might be able to chime in on is that it sometimes takes decades for the victims to even start to come to terms with their trauma (40 years in my case).

Any opp to use media fr the lappy to supplement the talk? (limited pp, vids, etc., since it's more about people than stats)

Is there a Q&A afterwards?

Definitely charged up for this, Sage.

#413672 - 10/19/12 04:37 PM * [Re: Sacred_Sage]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:38 PM)

#413699 - 10/19/12 08:15 PM Re: A once in a lifetime opportunity... [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Smalltown80sBoy
We have a culture with so many people walking around with PTSD and trying to function. We're almost like a hidden Holocaust.

This, minus "almost."

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.