Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443345 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#413051 - 10/14/12 01:21 AM Feeling guarded, closed off
kcinohio Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Noticing how guarded I feel when it comes to being vulnerable emotionally this month. I believe there's some balance point between being too open and too closed to others, but I pendulum swing back and forth without spending too much time in that balanced place.

It affects how I relate to others on their recovery journey as well. I'd prefer keeping myself more open-hearted, but I think being honest about where I'm actually at is the first step in doing that, so I'm just not there at the moment.

Probably part of it is feeling depleted. I've been pushing myself just a bit more than I can handle, okay in the short term, but not sustainable long term. Maybe I just need a bit more R & R in order to open up more, to have some energy available for that.

#413053 - 10/14/12 03:34 AM Re: Feeling guarded, closed off [Re: kcinohio]
Gmone Offline

Loc: NC
kcinohio,

I can relate to that. and what I want to add is how confusing that must seem to others. we swing back and forth, never spending "too much time in that balanced point." It's no wonder we're so misunderstod.

it's ok to "not be there." we have been taught that we are not important, we don't count, we have to take care of others. It's a HUGE step to realize we have to take care of our selves in order to have anything to give others. You see your own needs. it's ok to take care of yourself - in fact that is not only rational, but normal as well!

Ya, at 53 I am just now learning what normal is, not that I can adhere to it at all times, but how wonderful is it to finally be able to see it? that puts it within our grasp.

take care of yourself first, gmone

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.