Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
3 registered (highflight, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63638 Topics
444465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#412759 - 10/11/12 05:29 AM HIV, Shingles...and CSA
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Just need to gripe a bit. Should have expected this.

Noticed some skin sensitivity developing on my right leg a week ago and, though it's been three years, I intuitively knew it was probably another case of shingles. Dammit. And, sure enough, the deep blisters are starting.

It's not so much that it's back to the Valtrex or Acyclovir, but this takes a couple months to run its course and heal as much as it's going to. It's painful, especially when I'm trying to get to sleep. Feels like I've got my foot permanently stuck in a bucket of ice water...painful AND numb. Weird.

With the stress of the past few months of dealing with CSA for the first time - despite years of other therapy - and unresponsive, sometimes downright nasty people among the mental health and legal professions, I felt lucky no infections had developed. I'd been vigilant on healthy eating, exercise and rest. I know from 20 years' experience that stress will take me down faster than anything. Thought I was out of the woods on that phase of things. Oh well...dammit...again.

Like I said, I just need to vent. This stuff pisses me off.

FWIW, I found an attorney I trust. I have a T who I like. Those were two priorities achieved. I suppose if there ever was a message to let others handle this shit for a while, this is it, huh?

Probably won't be my usual perky self for several weeks. And yes, please, if you have any good HIV or shingles jokes, post 'em or PM them to me because I get pretty crabby. This hurts 24/7 and distracts me.

#412760 - 10/11/12 05:53 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
To Lancer with Love,

A man walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. He replied, "I've got shingles."

She said, "Fill out this form and supply your name, address, medical insurance number. When you're done, please take a seat."

Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out and asked him what he had. He said, "I've got shingles."

So she took down his height, weight, and complete medical history, then said, "Change into this gown and wait in the examining room."

A half hour later a nurse came in and asked him what he had. He said, "I've got shingles."

So she gave him a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram, and told him to wait for the doctor.

An hour later the doctor came in and asked him what he had. He said, "Shingles."

The doctor gave him a full-cavity examination, and then said, "I just checked you out thoroughly, and I can't find shingles anywhere."

The man replied, "They're outside on the truck. Where do you want them?"
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#412761 - 10/11/12 06:00 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ummm...that's New England humor, right? Phine. I'll take it. LOLOLOL...THANK YOU.

Signed,

The Walking Petri Dish

#412762 - 10/11/12 06:06 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hang on Lancer,
I hope it will get better soon.
Here is my contribution to shingles jokes for you smile

#412763 - 10/11/12 07:08 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pero! You're an artist! Had an additional thot, too. Pop 'em. Don't pop 'em. Tasteless, huh?

You've given me a whole new creative outlet.

btw, congrats on the anniversary.

#412768 - 10/11/12 08:26 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Lance!
I'm happy if I've made you laughing for second,
I can see that you've been creative too smile
Tasteless?
No, what ever makes you happy I'm OK with that too smile

Pero

#412962 - 10/13/12 12:44 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Started the Acyclovir today. If like last time, effects won't be visible for a while. Noticed, too, I'm starting a similar breakout on the right shoulder/pec area...just like the cartoon. Enuf already! Right leg already looks (to me) like a special effects job. At least it's being treated.

Did start a painkiller which is working. Hell, I can actually sleep now without constantly moving to keep the leg warmer/cooler. Driving any appreciable distance is out of the question, however. I feel I have to be real cautious with this sh*t. And I'm soaking as needed for the joint pain. Hydrocortisone cream for now, probably Zostrix (capcasin) later. But, dammit, no shorts? I'm gonna be such a bitch until at least Halloween.

That's about it for now on the bitching dept. I'll add that shopping for boat shoes today, as you might expect, was interesting. Well, at least I wore jeans and socks. They say a spot of retail therapy can really help a girl forget her troubles

Gonna keep that Shingles vs. Pringles thing in mind, Pero. The images are helping my frame of mind a lot. And, OMG, the nasty PM jokes I've been receiving....

#412993 - 10/13/12 09:06 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

From online. I'm desperate:

"I got my shingles in December 2009, got a lot of "Shingle Bells", "All The Shingle Ladies"...no good jokes other than my family coming up with nicknames for me."

and

"Yeah, my wife was giving me the shinglebells routine, you can tell by my screen name. So anyway I told her that if she kept it up I was gonna have to leave her. She told me that I would have to frequent the "Shingle's Bars" to find a new wife."

("My mind is going. I can feel it." - HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey)

#412994 - 10/13/12 09:35 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer,
those are good ones smile
Check this song (starts at 1 min 5 sec):

I hope you'll get better soon frown

Pero

#413061 - 10/14/12 05:34 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm gonna learn that song!

I dunno. Should I make this a shingles blog? Guess we're already there, huh guys? Should I post pics? Ewwwwww....

And the reason I'm up at this awful hour (GMT-5) is I tried to roll over and the hip didn't like it. Haven't had the joint related part of shingles before. wtf is up w/that? Gawd I'm a mess. Painkiller is sorta working. Topical cream. And baking soda sitz bath is getting daily use. But dammit.

Perhaps I shouldn't have done it yesterday, but I push these things. Tried to mow the lawn and within minutes found I couldn't stoop or stand. LOLOL. I looked very funny all bent over. Sooo, a painkiller, half an hour, and I was back at it. Lawn's pretty even if I'm not.

Part of it is, well, I LIKE my lawn and the work I've put into it. It's not machismo. (Do I have to revisit the reluctant "yes, Lancer, you're butch" comment? No? Good.)

But I don't want to imagine NOT being able to do the things I love. So I fight to keep doing them. I know it's ridiculous, but there's some part of me that fears if I don't do, say, mowing the lawn, I'll never be able to do it again. This will pass...but it's scary nevertheless, especially when I reach the point I have to use a cane part of the day. I like my independence. I like being outdoors. I like being able to move.

And, hell, if anyone has some psychological insights, fire away. Comments such as, "Oh you Poor Thing" are welcome, too.

Sounds strange, but one thing I do like is that I can bitch and moan to my heart's content here.

Lambert: I can't see a goddamn thing.
Kane: Quit griping.
Lambert: I like griping.
"Alien" (1979)

#413074 - 10/14/12 09:56 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

#413084 - 10/14/12 01:05 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer,
you are already have kind of blog made from this post smile
Hey man don't be hard on yourself, this all will pass soon, you are going to do business as usual including macho things (yes you are hell of a butch smile ) like mowing the lawn wink
It is true about moving and doing things that we like, we should try to do it as long as possible. And when it comes that we can't proceed further we should find some other easier activity to regularly do. My motto is: never stop, moving = life smile
When I'll be eighty years old I know that I'll go hiking and walking around with backpack on my back just same as I did when I was boy smile
Hang on buddy, you are not alone!
Here is my warmest hug for you, You Poor Thing, come here smile
(((Lancer)))

Pero

#413086 - 10/14/12 01:36 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:32 PM)

#413101 - 10/14/12 05:14 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm gonna have a Gary moment. Y'all are gonna make me cry.

Horrible rhyme, but no one's ever told me I rock. Boy, that works for me. Your greeting card career is unchallenged! "So you've got shingles/Well here's my jingle" Ohgawd that's wonderful.

A story behind "You Poor Thing" Pero. It was my musclebound, ex-EMT/fireman doctor (who died a year later from "natural causes"...with his mood swings, I suspect steroids). But just that phrase from him did wonders at the time.

Already mentioned this to Gary. But I was amazed what four hours flat on my back did for me (and still up in time to see the Red Bull jump). I don't acknowledge that hell, yes, I'm SICK. Sooo, when I do all this "stuff", yeah, my already under seige system doesn't react well to it. DOH! Sheesh. Missed the obvious. shocked

The warm baking soda sitz is now firmly in the daily routine. Gawd, I should write a book, huh?

And I would like to point out the EXTENSIVE web search work I did for appropriate imagery. cool

#413113 - 10/14/12 09:17 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Laughter is the best medicine!

Puffer

#413131 - 10/15/12 12:01 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you Puffer. I try to get the ball rolling. I'm trying - sometimes more successfully than others. But something as simple as a kind word from one of you guys really helps because I still sometimes feel alone with this.

The pain gets to me, the mind starts doing things and next thing you know I'm in a funk. Since the conventional wisdom is that it's triggered by stress - though unknown why - I guess my lesson is that it's okay for me to let go of this CSA sh*t for a while, perhaps deal with it at a slower, less intense pace. Sounds strange, but I sometimes forget about the HIV in my quest to appear "normal"...but I need to respect my less obvious physical limitations even though I might otherwise feel fine.

#413133 - 10/15/12 12:23 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Lancer -

i'm not real good with sickness, hospital visits, etc. i always feel awkward and i don't know what to say. but i really feel bad for you that you have this additional burden on top of everything else.

i appreciate the way you are able to laugh and joke about it and try to put on a brave face. but i hope you will also feel free to do some serious lamenting if you need to. don't feel like you have to keep up the morale for anybody else.

OK?
Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#413140 - 10/15/12 01:43 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

In my book, Lee - you know this fr our history - you're a saint anyway. LOL...I don't do brave face. Most of the time on this round head's doing better than I'd expected.

Frankly, slaving over a hot keyboard to find the funny shingles pix was quite theraputic. Under the circumstances, I feel pretty balanced. Writing about it really helps...especially when I feel like sh*t.

You don't like hospital visits Lee? Blood, pain, suffering, weird machines making weird noises...NEEDLES? <---my personal fave...lays me out on the floor in minutes

Oh, come along with me sometime on a visit. You'll have fun. When buds have been hospitalized with HIV-related stuff, I'll take along something completely inappropriate like a balloon that says, "Congratulations! It's a boy!" or a carefully and tastefully-wrapped carburetor. Does wonders.

#413143 - 10/15/12 02:07 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
MaleSurvivor

you make me laugh and cry at the same time!
love your irreverent humour!
i wish we could all know each other in person in another life.

#413147 - 10/15/12 02:49 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

"Well, gee, Lancer, when the shingles starts to affect your brain how will we know the difference?"

Good point.

#413187 - 10/15/12 02:10 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:33 PM)

#413206 - 10/15/12 05:01 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

{{{{Gary}}}}

Rough morning. Took pills. Went back to bed. Felt better (pain stopped) the very moment I laid down. Sheesh. Maybe I'll eventually get it.

===========================================================

Felt crappy all day whenever I was up. ("Doc it hurts when I do this." "Don't do that.")

For those of you who missed it, this actually helped (obviously not in my right mind):

#413252 - 10/16/12 07:11 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Helpful suggestion: Do not place the bottle of hydrogen peroxide next to the Diet Coke bottle. (Came to me while on MS)

Entertainment: using a water-soluble marker, play connect-the-dots with the lesions. (Came to me while soaking)

#413472 - 10/18/12 03:49 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just to get it outta my system at this hour. Head's not in a good place.

Refilling the Acyclovir tomorrrow. As I was afraid might happen, had to up the pain meds dosage as my body got used to it and so I could rest. Fortunately, otoh, have been able to cut back the frequency. But I don't like having to do this to keep the pain at bay.

Lesions are showing some beginning signs of healing, but they're still disgusting and make me feel like a damn leper. Had a couple tiny ones show up elsewhere (arms, back, chest), but I recall from last time that's normal. Early signs of neuropathy in the right foot that have jolted me out of sleep and I'll deal with later.

I figure since I made it out to see the T the other day and I can slip out for a refill, I can probably manage groceries. Reward is I'll have fresh produce in here (send rabbit food). Not quite to the point I have to ask someone to do my shopping, but have been close. And, if I'm medicated enuf, I'll do the lawn in the next couple of days...the smell/appearance is truly its own reward and one for which I tell myself I'll gladly pay the price...wtf.

For now, jus' bitching because I can.

(And I still think the Felix Baumgartner audio is fall-down-on-the-floor-crying hysterical)

#413743 - 10/20/12 09:49 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

An update that I may actually be starting to heal. Yeah, it's a play-by-play...so sue me (as one of my MS buds would say). Lesions have at least dried out. None of it's pretty - got some big, ugly nasties hiding under bandages - but it's an improvement. I think the baking soda soaks and hydrogen peroxide made the diff. Neverfear, I still qualify as an extra for "The Walking Dead".

Attitude is changing a little, but that may have more to do with longer-acting painkiller than anything. When I hold off, I start to hurt again and the mind is quick to follow. Yes, got the rabbit food and the lawn done. Really had to force myself out, but it was "good" for me...I suppose. :-\ Paid for it with a complete crash the next day. Oh yeah, I'm sick. I shouldn't be doing all this stuff...doh! Sounds like it's the Joan of Arc costume for THIS Halloween, huh?

I'm hoping the neuropathy is minimal, but it's started in my right arch, sometimes jolting me awake. Dammit. Hypersensitivity remains elsewhere in the right leg and that really drives me nuts.

Sooo, nine days since start of treatment. Gonna finish off the Acyclovir refill to make sure.

Appreciate the encouragement in your PMs guys (i.e., laffing at my bad jokes). Not quite out of the woods, but feel like this round is going better than the last.

#414133 - 10/24/12 06:24 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Improvements definitely underway. Some sores are actually healing. I've ventured to wear shorts and sandals again. Leg looks more like it lost an argument with stuff kicked up by the weedeater instead of looking like leprosy. Believe it or not, that's progress!

Huge relief I've been able to halve my painkiller dosages. I can understand how people get hooked on the stuff. Wish I could relax and just enjoy the relief, but the sh*t scares me. Still doing baking soda tub soaks at least once a day, but it's taken a lot out of my energy level. Man, I should write a book.

Even ventured a session with my massage therapist who's a determined chap and felt it necessary to work the areas that had - for lack of a better term - atrophied a bit. I know it's for a good cause, but sheesh! Damn lucky to have him around.

#414240 - 10/25/12 09:18 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hey Lancer,

I'm sorry I didn't have a joke or vid to make the pain more bearable, and I'm terribly sorry your going though your pain but this thread has me on a roll. I can't say I never had a really bad case of shingles except when I was doing some roofing in a thunderstorm before the summer camps opened up for the summer.

I see you have a lot of really great friends here at MS. That's a great help for all of us.This thread picked up my spirits also, I think I'll have a good day at work and I really hope it made your day better under the circumstances.

Peace,Rainbows & Healing
Jeff

#414256 - 10/25/12 02:13 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

lol...you're a treasure, as always Jeff. However, although the lesions are healing (at what seems like an accelerated rate to me) and I can now wear the bermudas sometimes, there's the lingering neuropathy that drives me nuts. (It's like having an ice pick shoved into your foot in the middle of the night). So, you still have time to make your contribution of sick, tasteless jokes. I thrive on 'em. Climbing on the roof during a thunderstorm sounds like a terrific sport.

Perfect timing, too. Had some lingering pain that hasn't quit today. I'm getting things done, but my mood isn't that great. And you gave it a boost. Thank you!

And, man, you are SO right. I DO have a lot of really great friends here at MS, as you do. I have no idea how I would have made the past several months with my sanity intact otherwise.

#414269 - 10/25/12 07:29 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414279 - 10/25/12 10:30 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

OMG...I actually remember Ben Casey! (See? I'm old, too!) Well, there you have it doctor! Wow, I actually have an MS doctor now...in black and white.

I think the buried treasure line qualifies for a joke. Better than Interweb jokes, imo.

I'm envious of your USAF background. (Dad was Navy, just post-Normandy, Anvil One, Bougnan Bay). Would love to hear more about it when/if you're inclined. My lottery number came up - something like 189 - but the whole thing was history in a few months. And at the time the military wasn't the place to be. Given my penchant for some team sports/activities pre-CSA I think it would have been great for me. I did go on to learn to fly for a while. Wasn't until 15 years later I recaptured some of that feeling with a terrific running club here. A bit like MS, I really like the whole fraternal thing, like brothers I never had.

#414290 - 10/26/12 12:11 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414292 - 10/26/12 12:36 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

I suppose it's one of those bonding things Jeff. Please only make fun of me/my condition if you're comfortable with it. The not-so-discreet "The Fly" comparison is my fave so far. Hell, it approximates what I think I've looked like.

Ummm...for my generation, how about this from "The Outer Limits"?

Well, it wasn't my FACE, thankgawd. I suppose THAT'S encouraging.

If it helps inspire, a friend of mine now refers to me as Pizza Leg. You can imagine the possibilities that invites.

#414295 - 10/26/12 01:43 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414311 - 10/26/12 03:27 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you Lancer for this thread!
We need some humor here badly, no matter if it is about shingles/pringles smile
I'm happy to know that you are getting better smile

Dear Jeff your story has brought smile to my face, I can imagine that scene with pouring water down the stairs smile

Love and peace!

Pero

#414325 - 10/26/12 06:04 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jeff, how DARE you compare Martin Landau (yes, that's him) to your MOTHER! Poor guy. But I can see you're the one we'll tap for fire and water jokes. Ummm...you didn't mention if there were any, ah, floaters in the water. Tshit tsunami? OMG, the visual. So, what does 100psi look like? I have no reference. Fire hydrant? Worse? The more I think about it the funnier it gets. Immediately reminded me of this. Flood starts at 4:00. (ohgawd, the secret's out...my life is an Irwin Allen movie)

In addition, I just found the Fuck Recovery Day (FReD?) thread you - our Shingles/Pringles guy - dug up from the archives:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=414321#Post414321

...and I nominate you as our WoFRD chair - pronounced Whoa Fred - for 2012.

You're right Pero that we need the humor badly...or bad humor.

#414347 - 10/26/12 10:27 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414349 - 10/26/12 10:30 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was trying to find some shingles jokes in Google. The same joke was given about 2 dozen times. It's already been posted here.

Wow! In that film clip - looked like my childhood - no ! actually it was my house last night when the water pipe broke open. More details later.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (10/26/12 10:42 AM)

#414350 - 10/26/12 10:37 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well Jeff your story about hiding back to bed and typing is hilarious, there is no need for shingles smile

Hey Puffer how about bringing some funny pic of puffer-fish, you know on some it looks just like ordinary fish with a lot of shingles wink

Pero

#414411 - 10/26/12 09:56 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

OMG, puffer. Fill us in. Pipes aren't supposed to burst until midwinter. (Remind me to tell you my midwinter bucket brigade story). Sheesh. I don't want to imagine what the ServePro people found. Please tell me it was at least only normal water. Hope the damage wasn't serious or widespread.

Ummm...did lapchinj nail it? Was it a toilet flush?

(Lighter note: your childhood had fiery explosions and water torrents? Can't wait to hear that one)

Pizza Leg

#414427 - 10/27/12 12:37 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had a huge plumbing leak Thursday evening.

I really did freak out, seeing water shooting out from under the kitchen sink. It was a major fountain. The water rolled down a heating vent in the kitchen which broke off, delivering the water to the basement. It doesn't seem to have damaged anything important. Stuff my wife wanted me to throw away 10 years ago. The broken connection was in a steel reinforced flexible connection to the cold water under the kitchen sink. It will be relatively easy to repair. The bigger problem is that when I went to turn off the main water valve to the house, the handle broke off. So that will have to be replaced. I had what they call a curb-side key which turned the water off outside near the water meter.

Today (Friday) the plumber fixed it.
This has been a full day. I awoke early with insufficient sleep so that I could get on the list of the plumber's activities for the day. I went with a certified plumber, which was more expensive, but I didn't have to mess around with unreliable work. He put in a new whole-house valve. He said it was the ball-type valve. He fixed the breakage under the kitchen sink, where the water was pouring out last night. The flexible stainless steel reinforced pipe had ruptured and pulled apart at the input end. The plumber said that he had never seen that type of break before. About the time he left I fell asleep for awhile although he did all the work. My work was last night, running around turning off the flow. I also took my dog to get him groomed (this doesn't mean the same thing in the dog-world as it does in MS frown ). So, tonight the water is running. The large heat-carrying flexible pipe from the furnace fell off last night as it was full of water. It is still loose and it is sprawled on the basement floor. It won't be hard to fix except in the sense that I have a very high ceiling in the basement because my house was built on a steep hill. My daughter doesn't want me to climb the latter that high. I guess I don't want to climb that high either. I'm not that flexible anymore. I may have to do it if the heating man doesn't appear soon. Actually it needs a stunt man not a heating man to climb the ladder like that. Then it's just a matter of applying duct tape to where the pipe tore loose. The water has almost all disappeared, presumably through leaks in the basement wall. My house was built in 1930 and they used old bricks at the base of the wall. I guess there is quite a bit of porosity around the bricks.

#414441 - 10/27/12 06:39 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ah, the joys of home ownership, puffer. Primarily, I'm glad nothing important was damaged, except your nerves perhaps. LOVED the dog grooming comment. Need a stunt man? Ummm...Jeff? <---experienced "volunteer"

Wasn't gonna do this, but it might make you feel better to know it could have been worse. Early 70s, urban architect had designed rural VT woodframe with pipes in outside walls. Doh! They froze. Late nite arrival to basement full of water. Bucket brigade out the front door in 20-degree temps.

I'm also impressed with your speling abilities: loose vs. lose. Mygawd, you're a grammatical hero in my book. You finished high school, didn't you? I can tell.

#414492 - 10/27/12 10:15 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I used to teach. The head of the school. (I won't mention names) decided to save money over the Christmas break by turning off the heat in the building where I taught. The pipes were in the ceiling. Of course we had a hard freeze over the holiday and the pipes froze and burst and made a horrible mess. It cost multiple times what he saved.

re. spelling. I was hoping that you wouldn't notice how I spelled "ladder", that is, latter. As in, I climbed the latter of success (sic).

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (10/27/12 10:16 PM)

#414494 - 10/27/12 11:17 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
MaleSurvivor

a house we once lived in had a kitchen that was a wing off the main house. no insulation. the pipes froze one winter. big mess!!! i had to crawl under - big claustrophobic trigger! - to take care of it. but there was an up-side. discovered it was log construction under the clap-boards and modern aluminum siding. the floor joists rested on sandstone blocks. you could see bark and axe marks on the logs. i even found old crockery down there. i did some research. turned out the kitchen had originally been a one-room cabin and was 170 yrs old.

pretty cool!
Lee

#414504 - 10/28/12 01:24 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414505 - 10/28/12 01:38 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414506 - 10/28/12 01:38 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's funny, puffer. Didn't notice the "latter". Is that more of the selective memory sh*t?

Segue: One of the guys PM'd me with a question about the vaccine, so I'll share here. Shingles is a strange animal. The vaccine is about 50% effective, whether or not you've had it. I think FDA says 60+, others saying once you reach 50. Efficacy wears off over time.

Usual recurrence is about 7 years, so I didn't expect this after three years. Jury's out on those with surpressed immune systems. I've heard it both ways since it's not a completely inactivated live virus, yet people with HIV are most susceptable to a full outbreak. And that's my world of ironies.

My problem now - if I can bitch for a moment - is, though the lesions are healing very nicely - only a couple weird pizza areas now - I'll still be dealing with residual pain (and "postherpetic neuralgia"...how's that for a mouthful?) for at least another month and the painkillers don't take care of it completely. Sounds really f*cked up, but I'm alternating between the damn codiene...and Aleve. A bit like people who say, "But you don't LOOK depressed!" "Well, your leg has healed! You should be feeling better!" LOL..."F%^&k you. How'd you like my pizza foot up your...?"

MY goodness. I AM grumpy, aren't I?

Well, hell. I'm jus' gonna be a partial mess for a while. To wit: got out early on some of the yard stuff today post-Sandy - jus' blow'd around stuff and a mow - but otherwise was dealing with an undercurrent of pain all day...feels a bit like Chinese water torture (no, not waterboarding...sometimes I'd wish for that or an amputation instead!).

Okeydokey, we can go back to burst pipes now. MUCH more fun. Like the claustrophobia diversion. Goes well with the vertigo.

#414507 - 10/28/12 01:39 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ohgawd Jeff. That's brilliant! Obviously I really needed some laffs tonite. Your timing is perfect.

If it makes you feel better about Sandy, a blog comment I saw:
"We're all gonna die!!!! Oh wait. That's Dec 21st. Nevermind."

Occurs to me that Staten Island might be fun right about now. No?

Seriously, hope you and the family are safe. Lived thru Andrew and Wilma. They were no fun during or after. (Wind/rain/roof noises scared the sh*t outta me). Three weeks no electric post-Wilma w/high heat and humidity. Your BBQ is your best friend. If anything positive, the neighbors really banded together afterwards.

#414509 - 10/28/12 01:51 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414514 - 10/28/12 02:00 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

You're damn right I'm grumpy. Well, I'm trying to stay that way, but you're making it impossible. No, I kint spel either.

Re Felix. That's why I love the "unofficial" audio. He steps out of the capsule, wind blowing and says, "Awwwwww geeezus f*^&K!" First few times I played it I was laughing so hard I was reduced to tears. "I'm gonna throw up! I'm gonna throw up! I'm gonna throw up in my helmet!" Okay, as if anyone missed it.

I mean, is there something seriously wrong with me? I've been watching this for weeks and I still think it's about the funniest damn video I've seen.

#414519 - 10/28/12 02:44 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#414526 - 10/28/12 03:50 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks again for the laff Jeff.

Pizza Legs

#414655 - 10/29/12 03:19 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer, thanks for bringing that Felix guy again. That is something the most hilarious I've ever heard, I can't stop laughing, thanks man, you made my day smile!

Pero

#414783 - 10/30/12 06:50 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

You might enjoy some insight the T gave me today on the Felix video, Pero, and why it appeals. Seems obvious after the fact. He noted that the whole thing isn't unlike this CSA journey on which I embarked several months ago.

One reason I perhaps enjoy this audio version of the video so much is that it's a very good expression of what I've experienced. For that matter, what most of us on MS experience as we deal with this.

As I did years ago dealing with codep issues, I jumped right into this. And it's not as though I did it with eyes closed. Like Felix, well, it required courage. To wit: "Awwwww....geezus f*^#k!" Like Felix, I knew this could be rough. Indeed, it has been.

I dunno if I can carry the comparison much further. Well, I've landed intact...for now. Interesting to watch the vid again with that in mind.

Pain still comes and goes on the leg. I'm okay most of the day, but this evening is rougher than usual. Dammit. Bitch, bitch, bitch, gripe, gripe, gripe. Experience says I still have a few weeks of this sh*t gradually subsiding.

#414832 - 10/31/12 05:22 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer,
that is interesting and so cool insight, free fall from universe to Earth, wow smile!

I'm sorry to hear about pain in your leg, are we talking about pizza legs wink ?
I hope soon you'll healed completely. Must say that if shingles did not appear we would probably wait more for your humorous and the strongest side to be shown, thanks man for sharing with us wink!

Pero

#414834 - 10/31/12 05:57 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Addendum on the parallel that really made me feel good, Pero. In the middle of the vid there's a group of people (his family and friends) applauding him. Love carrying that image with me.

#414894 - 10/31/12 04:10 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm enjoying this thread.

Lapchinj, how is your house now? I've been concerned.

Still? Is your house still there? (sorry, bad pun)

I have certain problems with grammar and spelling from time to time. It's because I was supposed to be learning those things in school but my mind was in absentia because of some current abuse. The things I missed were supposed to be learned during those times. Otherwise I would be perfect ( smile )

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (10/31/12 06:10 PM)

#414895 - 10/31/12 04:12 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Lancer
Thanks again for the laff Jeff.

Pizza Legs

It bites ( smile )

#414910 - 10/31/12 08:21 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: pufferfish]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
It bites ( smile )

Surprised no one came up with that before Puffer. Dam. You're good. Thx!

#415138 - 11/02/12 07:03 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just to bitch and get it outta my system. No responses necessary guys. I'm sick of this shit. I can only imagine how Y'ALL feel about it!

Just joint pain and skin sensitivity. And it's less. But, y'know, I'd really like to feel/be fucking normal again. I want it to just go away. In some ways it was better when I was doing a full codeine every 3-4 hours...except I was off in la-la land. This residual stuff is 24/7.

***End of Rant***

#415154 - 11/02/12 10:41 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Hey Lancer,

I know I'm realll late to this thread - but I just had to jump in and say that I really do know just how frustrated you are - I've had a groin rash (fungal/bacterial/viral/???) issue since early June - I've seen multiple docs and a dermatologist and still it refuses to go away - they've thrown just about everything in the book at it with no real lasting results - I've just had to deal with the pain/tenderness/sores/itching/swelling/ect. while they throw every med in the book at it.

After 6+ months I'm begining to wonder if this is the new "normal"

I do hope that both of us find some lasting relief soon...

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#415156 - 11/02/12 10:49 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: TJ jeff]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I know of another guy who comes into MS who also has a troublesome rash. I haven't received his permission to make it known so I'll have to tell you by way of PM.

Puffer

#415178 - 11/03/12 03:07 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh man, TJ Jeff, I'm so with you. Six months?! Hell, I'd be mortgaging the house for crack or morphine...if I had a mortgage.

I don't have to tell you how mentally exhausting it is and that, like our CSA (read your story), yeah, it starts to feel like it's normal. The only words of "wisdom" I have are already in this thread. One thing I didn't have with the last bout three years ago was this group of guys to listen to me and help me through. And I've sometimes leaned on 'em hard.

LOL...since I'm healing (at least physically), feel free to hijack the thread. After six months of this sh*t you probably need it more than me.

#415189 - 11/03/12 05:41 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
MaleSurvivor

Lancer - just wanted to offer this - for some virtual relief:

once when my son was suffering an excruciating skin condition, and we had done everything within or power to help him, i was at a store and saw a bullet on a key chain and thought of the idiom, "bite the bullet" - and bought it for him. it didn't give any actual relief - but he liked it anyway. he carried that keychain for years.

So - here is a virtual bullet for you to bite - if you can pry it out of this dude's jaws!

[img:left]http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4687845917985325&pid=15.1[/img]

hope you get some REAL relief soon.
Lee

#415205 - 11/03/12 10:56 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

One thing I treasure about you Lee is that sometimes, as we say in the South, "You jus' ain't right." Ummm...an armor-piercing shell?

Love the story about you son! Lucky kid! I'd say it qualifies you as SuperDad.

#415247 - 11/03/12 11:00 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#415248 - 11/03/12 11:44 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Like that you have the sense of humor and neighbors to enjoy it with. I'd forgotten it was similar to us examining debris following Wilma, "Excuse me, is that your roof or mine?" and, "Didn't there use to be a fence here?" On and on...untangling my fence from his tree - oaks are the worst - and vice-versa. fwiw, I was finding shingles everywhere for a year afterwards. "You are about to experience a great adventure...."

(Already put it on the Sandy thread, but too good not to use again)

#415249 - 11/04/12 12:25 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

be mortgaging the house for crack or morphine...

A lot of cracked houses up in NY by this time.
Quote:

I don't have to tell you how mentally exhausting it is and that, like our CSA (read your story), yeah, it starts to feel like it's normal.

At least it's mentally exhausting.
Quote:

"Excuse me, is that your roof or mine?" and, "Didn't there use to be a fence here?"

Cat on a hot tin roof (no shingles).
Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (11/04/12 12:27 AM)

#415254 - 11/04/12 01:43 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: pufferfish]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#415764 - 11/09/12 04:01 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Y'all jus' ain't right <---which sounds like Big Daddy, huh? (Gawd, Puffer and Jeff, you're LITERATE!). Dad's third wifey was a dead ringer for Mae ("Sister Woman")...squinty eyes, squished forehead/bangs, drunk, controlling, etc. This sounds awful, but in her case suicide was perfectly appropriate.

It was the punch bowl, Honey, the cut-glass punch bowl!

Ummm, do I dare ask how much snow you got Jeff? Need a cat? Even in the 70s I thought these were the coolest things...wiiiiide treads, high visibility cab.

A li'l update. A couple walk-intensive shoots last weekend kinda pushed me close to the edge and, imo, I've dearly paid for it this week, putting myself back to bed for a while. Bitch, bitch, bitch, gripe, gripe, gripe. HOWEVER, a new doc who wants me on acyclovir as a prophylactic...an alternative if you're not getting the $240 shingles shot, or under 50. Completely new information to me.

Puffer, you may want to pass this on: For the skin sensitivity/neuropathy she's prescribed something called Gabapentin - anticonvulsant - and the capsaicin. The wiki on Gabapentin concerns me a bit, though she had no undue concerns. If anyone has experience with it, especially with antidepressants, please post.

Bitching aside, I can tell I'm better and still have Thanksgiving as my goal to be Over It. Actually, I was over it a couple weeks ago, but not Over It.

#415773 - 11/09/12 09:10 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#415783 - 11/09/12 11:48 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ohgawd, imagine the state I'd be in if it came in waves ;-) Last one was three years ago, Jeff. In my case depends largely on the state of my immune system when/if I'm particularly stressed...and, well, you know what my summer was like.

Have used Paxil for years. Had some concern about adding Gabapentin to the mix.

#415802 - 11/09/12 04:49 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#415812 - 11/09/12 06:33 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Lancer - I just finished up my perscription of valacyclovir 2 days ago - glad I had no adverse reactions to it as I've heard that some people do (hope you don't have any reactions to it either)

rash is still there - dermatologist seems to be scratching her head - old insurance ran out and new insurance won't start untill Feb 1st

I get the feeling that the next few months could be fun...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#415815 - 11/09/12 06:58 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow TJ...a kindred spirit. I was feeling so LONELY laugh

No adverse reaction, but it was acyclovir. Doc has suggested using one a day it as a prophylactic, as well. Looked it up and I've only been bitching about this for a month. So, not as long-lived as I'd thot. Just has felt longer.

Soaking helps a lot (baking soda, warm bath water...or epsom salts). Not bad for stress either. Codiene's now down to half dose or less, but frankly, I've done a full one if I need to function without pain.

Over-the-counter Capsaisin cream for skin sensitivity. Gabapentin anti-convulsant for neuropathy but, as I noted, I'm personally a bit concerned about interactions. As far as scripts/insurance, I'm considering one of the Canadian pharms.

PM me if you need support on it.

#415880 - 11/10/12 08:58 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#415892 - 11/10/12 11:16 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Speaking of pain and anguish....

@TJ...got to Walgreens for the Capsaisin ROLL-ON (about nine bucks). That way you don't get it on your hands, which can really screw up your contacts and anything else you touch if you don't wash your hands thoroughly. I'm noticing SOME relief, but will fill you in later.

@Jeff...things settling down at home now that you have power?

#415903 - 11/11/12 03:16 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Lancer, you had asked about the side effects of Gabapentin. From WebMD:

"June 8, 2012 -- The FDA has approved a drug currently used for restless leg syndrome to treat a common and painful complication of shingles, according to the medication's manufacturers.

Horizant (gabapentin enacarbil) has been approved to treat postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) in adults. PHN is a painful syndrome that can lead to disability in some people. It occurs after an outbreak of herpes zoster, more commonly known as shingles. Researchers say about 1 million people in the U.S. develop shingles each year. Of these, about 10% will go on to develop PHN.

PHN causes pain in the area affected by shingles, often in the torso, and can last for months or even years after the initial infection. Horizant was approved in 2011 to treat restless leg syndrome. In approving Horizant to treat PHN, the FDA evaluated the safety and effectiveness of the drug in three clinical trials involving 574 people.

Researchers don't know exactly how Horizant works to reduce PHN-associated symptoms, but studies have shown that gabapentin can help relieve nerve-related pain. The most common side effects of Horizant are dizziness, sleepiness, and headaches. The drug may also impair a person's ability to drive a car. People taking Horizant should not drive a car or operate heavy machinery until they have enough experience with the drug to determine whether their driving ability is affected.

Horizant is a slightly less active form of the antiepileptic drug gabapentin. This type of antiepileptic drug increases the risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Horizant also increases these risks, and people taking the drug should talk to their health care provider about any new or worsening depression or suicidal thoughts."
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#415969 - 11/11/12 09:35 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#415975 - 11/11/12 10:35 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Very much my thot when the power finally came on after three weeks. I still had a relatively solid roof over my head. Yard, fences, trees in tatters at the time, but it could have been a lot worse. Downtown was nailed, especially the office towers with floors of blown out windows.

The grandkids have EXCELLENT taste Jeff and I admire their approach. You can't pin it on any one individual. I often forget the sheer obvious, devious brilliance of children's minds. They're only interested in being...kids. Love that.

(I think W.C. Fields once noted that kids are, "sticky or noisy or both."

@TJ: The capsaicin isn't doing squat, though the pain no longer involves the whole leg, just the footie. Perhaps I haven't given it enuf days of regular treatment yet as I understand needs to be done. Home stretch? Back to the hydrocortisone at least temporarily.

@Jeff: Dammit, instead of spending nine bucks for a whole ounce of capsaicin, I could have had a few half pints of Haagen Dazs dark chocolate and felt alot better physically...and emotionally.

#415981 - 11/11/12 11:29 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416048 - 11/12/12 01:31 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

You, sir, are a parenting genius. An acquired skill, yes? ;-)

#416187 - 11/13/12 09:25 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416233 - 11/14/12 03:58 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've debated posting this publicly yet, because it's not a done deal. But I've been in a bit of a funk the past 24 and you guys are my support. A real mixed bag for a variety of reasons. (Some of it plays into that PTSD "foreshortened sense of a future").

In a broad sense, all this CSA sh*t has taken me down a path I'd have never expected. And that's a good thing.

My T referred me to a new doc who I like who isn't an arrogant God's gift. She, in turn, referred me to an HIV meds study so I could get [expensive] updated test results as part of the study. The nice part is that it's in conjunction with a pharm company providing a "quad" HIV med (four meds, one pill once a day). Haven't done antiretrovirals in probably 12 years. Their study is for a more advanced version of the same med. Wholesale cost is about - get this - $30K a year. As part of the study, I would get the meds in perpetuity for free.

I'm a little cautious because my initial blood draw isn't for 2-3 weeks yet and then they have to determine if my levels are "bad" enough to qualify. (I'll post 'em here when I get 'em). But they were pleased, so to speak, I'd just had a second case of shingles! "Oh goodie. You're getting sick more often. You're our kinda guy!" <---not their words, my take. Humor really gets me through rougher days.

Provided it works out, hell, I'm thrilled! I might actually physically feel and function normally. Something I'd long ago given up even considering.

I think what I'm going thru now is consciously acknowledging that, despite the daily push to operate "normally" - and I've done damn well with that - I've nevertheless become sicker in the past year. I've had infections I've never had before and, obviously, repeats of others...for the first time in 20 years. Also discovered I've dropped at least 15 lbs. in the past year, despite decent diet and activity.

Completely irrelevant, but I can't help the comparison. My ex died ten years ago after "only" 15 years of this. I suppose in that sense I'm ahead.

Like I said, a mixed bag. Shingles is healing, only the foot pain now. And it healed faster than before because I knew how to handle it. Doc also suggested prescribed the Acyclovir (1x daily) as a prophylactic instead of the vaccine. Sooo, that's progress.

Maybe I'm just tired of all this sh*t.

#416258 - 11/14/12 10:58 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Alanis Morissette said it best.....

You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
You grieve you learn
You choke you learn
You laugh you learn
You choose you learn
You pray you learn
You ask you learn
You live you learn
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#416285 - 11/14/12 10:53 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416318 - 11/15/12 08:56 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you both for the words. I'm doing better this morning. For one, haven't needed meds for the pain yet today - yay! - and the sensitivity isn't bothering me that much. It's more like, "oh, that's interesting, did I burn myself?" It's been unusual lately for me NOT to feel like shit first thing in the day. Happens only once or twice a week.

I like the "magic", Jeff. Assuming this successfully goes forward - I have no particular reason to believe it won't, knowing my current condition and general info about the study - it seems to me like the circumstances are magic. I don't think anyone could have foreseen a relationship with a T would lead to a doc who'd refer me to a study involving the most advanced treatment for HIV available and that it would cover labs and meds.

I really hate needles and lab draws, but hell, they can do it weekly - or daily - if they like.

Man, tell me there aren't miracles.

Wouldn't THAT be a nice Christmas present!

#416388 - 11/15/12 10:29 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416402 - 11/16/12 01:46 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Aw, crap. Gonna post anyway, whether or not people are tired of hearing it. I'm in need of a serious two-steps-forward-one-step-back vent.

Couldn't resist working the yard today. And a pair of solar security lights from Amazon arrived at the same time...I decided to install them as long as I was outside. Sweat apparently aggravates the remaining sensitive skin areas, tibea and foot. It got considerably worse climbing the ladder. Put another way, I was already screwed when the lights were only half-screwed. When I finished I was miserable with the stinging and put myself to bed for a few hours. Dammit.

Guess I'm off my feet for 24. (And, hell, I was so enjoying having the smiley icon going instead of that green thing).

#416405 - 11/16/12 01:52 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
MaleSurvivor

Lancer -
we even love your green pukey icon!
vent all you want.
Lee

#416437 - 11/16/12 02:30 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Since I'm off my feet today - yeah, feel a bit better being non-ambulatory - and tethered to the computer:

@Lee...green is my least favorite color but thanks anyway, especially for the "pukey" adjective ;-)

@Jeff...blood draws just for you. I usually embed this stuff, but I'll just post the links since there are some squeamish types like me here.

****TRIGGERING****
First, this is what I usually feel like (turn down speakers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoFVkG2uR5A

(However, I've made progress. I no longer pass out...much)

Next, this is What I Aspire To Be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUdyzHfwaA&feature=related

#416438 - 11/16/12 02:47 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer where on earth do you find such videos.
You'll kill me with - screeching lady having blood drawn smile
I hope your are better smile?

#416504 - 11/17/12 06:30 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416507 - 11/17/12 06:38 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

When I was teaching, we looked at drops of blood under the microscope. They could see the different types of blood cells and how they behaved when you added a grain of salt or drop of sugar. For most students it was fun or and interesting. I had one student warn me that he fainted when he saw blood. He wasn't kidding. I had a whole room full of students and I'm afraid I didn't take him seriously enough. A little while later...sure enough...he fainted and was lying on the floor. Fortunately he didn't hit his head on anything on the way down. Maybe he did and that was the toughest part of his anatomy. smile

Puffer

#416508 - 11/17/12 06:53 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:02 PM)

#416516 - 11/17/12 08:21 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416517 - 11/17/12 09:16 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's a true story.

I'm a horn player (not a horny player frown )

I heard this from a guy who was a student of one of the great horn players. These horns have lots of coils and bent tubes and they are of course precision - made. Well when you're playing a horn, the breath carries water which condenses in the horn, just like a still (it is a still in a sense smile ). So the water collects in the horn and starts to gurgle. It will go burp..burp..burp.. It's quite audible!!! So the water has to be dumped out occasionally. Also the horn tends to collect inside food particles and sledge from drinking coffee or whatever. The food then starts to spoil or turn into a green sludge. What happened is that this great horn player, who was completely obsessive-compulsive in every way and always wore a suit and tie etc., during a private lesson, took out one of the crooks where the water collects. It was a "U" - shaped tube. So he gave it a good hefty puff of air in one end.... the other end was pointed at his immaculate tie. Well, this big glop of green goop flew out of the tube and onto his previously immaculate tie. It was a great fall of a giant horn player. smile

Puffer (now you know why I'm "Puffer" )

#416520 - 11/17/12 11:24 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416676 - 11/20/12 04:33 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Y'know, I deserve all the needle and green gooey stories since I posted the vids. I won't complain. I'm a "dropper". Room spins. Can't do a thing about it except to tell 'em I'm going down. Kinda used to it, though.

"You okay?"
"Yeah, I'm...." <klunk>

Y'all are a very, very funny group of guys. Man, I appreciate it!

Okeydokey, y'all are gonna laff, but it works on the skin sensitivity. Orajel! Well, why not?
Even have my bff of 28 years trying it while he's down here for a couple days (his rash is right side, upper back and chest).

#416692 - 11/20/12 09:18 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416766 - 11/21/12 12:41 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh crap Jeff...be ANYTHING you want. laugh

Suffering? Well, yeah, at 4:30am - about 24 hours ago - I wasn't pretty. But sorta pulled myself together for the day. Mostly just annoyed most of the time. Suffering isn't something I like to keep in my vocabulary...but thanks!

It IS getting better, just not at the same rate as before. I'm so much more functional now. Well, at least I tell myself that but - like the other day with the yard and the house - I guess I shouldn't necessarily act on it, huh? Just journaled this: I'm just not the kind of a person who thinks of himself as sick, whether he is or not. It's not to be brave or tough or stay in denial, it's just something that doesn't immediately register when it comes to my activities.

#416792 - 11/21/12 07:54 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416793 - 11/21/12 08:02 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh heck, I think you're doin' phine on expressing the stuff Jeff.

However, I'd like to get on with the foot amputation now.... shocked

#416861 - 11/21/12 09:00 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#416862 - 11/21/12 09:23 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh!!! Me either. I can't endure stuff.

Puff

#416987 - 11/23/12 06:03 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ummm...okay. I get it. We'll move on...LOL.

Since I've been doing play-by-play (man, what a resource this thread is gonna be for anyone who gets shingles):

Started the acyclovir prophylatic. Big news is finally tried the Gabapentin (anti-convulsant) to address the neuropathy. Ah, they say to take it only at bedtime. Reason being, apparently, is that it knocked me out for 8 hours. Not sure yet if I feel funny, but the best sleep I've had in almost two months.

Some skin sensitivity is still there - I only did the my first dose last nite - but the pricking feeling in the arch went away for 12 hours and I didn't have that perpetual drive-me-outta-my-mind background pain during that time.

Sorry 'bout the needles, guys. But I DID put a trigger warning on it! ("oh look, Lancer put up a video and..." <klunk>)

#416997 - 11/23/12 09:45 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer,
hang on you Poor Thing
wink
I hope it will get better soon.

Pero

Ps. here is daily shingles video with some green stuff included smile

#417013 - 11/23/12 02:33 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417015 - 11/23/12 02:46 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the giggle Pero. Actually doing relatively okay. My head feels like it's wrapped in lead - no hurt, just heavy - which is really weird.

"You Poor Thing" always gives me a laff. Same line my former [musclebound] doc used for my first shingles case. Always liked the irony.

As for the roof, I have lovely barrel tiles! But - ever helpful Pero - you just gave me an alternative to using chlorine to do the slab areas. Golly, don't have to kill the grass. Wow. Shingles and home maintenance tips on MS? Amazing.

#417051 - 11/23/12 11:15 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm gonna try the Gaba again tonite, but I don't like the way it made me feel today. Come to find out a typical side effect is blurred vision, which is the LAST damn thing I need in my business. I'll go back to the codiene. At least I know what to expect.

#417119 - 11/24/12 08:16 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417233 - 11/25/12 06:43 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've been kinda conflicted on the codiene Jeff. I get where you're coming from. Either relieve the pain or, in my mind, be "brave". I recall a discussion years ago among a few 12-step friends in various programs with someone facing a similar uneasiness. It came down to, "Fuck being 'brave'. You're hurting. Take care of it."

Simply, my need was 1-2 half tabs spread out over nighttime. Hey, way back when (last month) I was doing a full tab every four hours. Daytime has been fine. But, dumped it 7-10 days ago and gave myself a break before the Gabapentin.

For all it's possible side-effects (particularly vision), the Gaba's been okay, not great. Skin sensitivity continues, but the sudden neuropathic pricks have stopped, as has my years-long RLS (which never particularly bothered me). Mostly, I have an underlying feeling as if I'm Han Solo when he's encased in the Carbonite.

I probably feel better, too, since I haven't attempted a yardwork repeat and have stayed relatively inactive. Drives me nuts. I think that when I get out again - perhaps tomorrow - that will be the test.

#417238 - 11/25/12 07:00 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:06 PM)

#417253 - 11/25/12 10:39 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417343 - 11/26/12 10:39 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Seems that my body's absorbing the Gaba after a few days. Had some trepedation about mowing this afternoon - especially after that pain disaster ten days ago. Went to lie down afterwards and the foot pain developed again. What I apparently need to do it take the Gaba an hour or two BEFORE the activity. I'm relatively okay - i.e., not crazy pain - tonite.

I'll keep the codeine as an option, but don't feel I absolutely need it to manage the pain for now. Did some online reading and it clarified things for me, easing my discomfort about the whole thing. In short, it's been to MANAGE pain. The difference I've read - time after time - is whether or not I can function. If the pain's so bad I can't function, that's pretty much my bottom line.

btw, we don't really have poison ivy. But we do have nice, stinky wild cucumber vines which I clean out every fall. Haven't quite gotten around to that yet. We also have some other nasty tropical plants with very sharp, painful spines. Oh, if you get stuck, it slowly swells, becomes infected, amputations, questions, etc.

#417345 - 11/26/12 11:58 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

#417484 - 11/28/12 03:00 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's an idea Puff. Sometimes wished in the past week I could move like that. Where the hell you find that?

Spoke at length to the T about meds this afternoon and he allayed my fears to a considerable degree. Nor, given my lack of substance abuse history and "control" needs - many of 'em healthily integrated into my life - does he see a problem. Those were some feedback biggies I neede to hear.

In short, if I'm in pain and unable to function normally because of it - cancelled a couple optional shoots this weekend - that's the best indication FOR treatment. So, back on 'em again as of this evening after a partially successful week+ without 'em. Last nite was pretty bad...no sleep.

Don't like what it does to my head, but, hell, I've actually been back working this evening without the pain distraction.

So much for the Thanksgiving deadline. Maybe Christmas?

#417569 - 11/28/12 07:14 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Y'know what scares me? I'M RUNNING OUT OF HOLIDAY DEADLINES TO GET OVER THIS!

I expected Halloween would pass without this being resolved. Then Thanksgiving was a bust despite my best efforts. I've got Hannukah, Christmas and New Year's left.

#417575 - 11/28/12 08:22 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hang on Lancer, I hope you'll get better soon and before Christmas.

I wouldn't like seeing you feeling like black sheep during upcoming holidays:

PS: This thread is so positive, funny and honest that I would like to see it to become standard assets among thousands of posts smile

#417578 - 11/28/12 08:51 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:08 PM)

#417624 - 11/29/12 09:02 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417744 - 11/30/12 09:28 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

LOL guys. Talk about a thread that's outta control! Gawd, I love it...and, yeah, helps my spirits as this sh*t drags on. Hell, I was trying to be NICE with the Chrismahanukwanzakah song. Oh well, huh?

Wanted to share an experience I had yesterday that illustrates how I sometimes need to hear an outside perspective. Hadn't seen my massage therapist in a few weeks. So I described in detail - as you've heard here - what's been going on with pain, meds, missteps, etc. This is a guy who isn't easily moved. He told me he was shocked because he didn't realize the struggle with the pain, even after the lesions had healed. He thought that once it healed it was over. He was actually distressed by what I described about the residual pain.

He gave me a good, long hug - which I've apparently needed more than I realized - and I almost started crying.

I'm okay this morning, but I'm still digesting all that.

#417765 - 11/30/12 12:47 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417786 - 11/30/12 04:28 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Wanted to share an experience I had yesterday that illustrates how I sometimes need to hear an outside perspective. .............. He was actually distressed by what I described about the residual pain. He gave me a good, long hug - which I've apparently needed more than I realized - and I almost started crying.

We must still be human......if we can be moved by random acts of kindness: http://thestir.cafemom.com/technology/147347/nypd_officers_random_act_of

Jude
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#417792 - 11/30/12 05:23 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:09 PM)

#417801 - 11/30/12 07:52 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: lapchinj

Even though this thread gets out of hand a little I think it keeps us focused on what you're going through simply because it keeps us here. I see to many thread just end and fade away because an important topic was discussed and then there was nothing to keep it going so the thread fell into obscurity.
Let's keep this going

just gotta say - i don't really have much i feel i can add to this thread - BUT it warms my heart to see it going on like the Energizer Bunny! it is a great example of "goodwill to men" - and i love seeing you guys interact in silly, goofy, crazy and compassionate ways!!!

love and e-hugs to all!
Rock on!
Lee

#417882 - 12/01/12 04:29 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:10 PM)

#417887 - 12/01/12 08:41 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417888 - 12/01/12 08:52 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417891 - 12/01/12 09:09 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Jeff,
that is so sweet from you and it feels so good when knowing your problems with hugs wink
Here is my warmest hug for you
((((Jeff)))) smile

and for all others, hugs to all you guys who are reading this ((((( wink )))))

Pero

#417895 - 12/01/12 10:23 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#417902 - 12/01/12 10:56 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by pufferfish (12/01/12 11:26 PM)

#418004 - 12/03/12 03:25 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

OMG Puff...so THAT'S how you see me, huh? Ah...like the creative solution, however. ;-)

Holy sh*t guys. Group hug. Excellent.

Speaking of sh*t...okay, last week was sh*t and appreciate the unconditional support from each one of you. Despite not liking the pain meds - took a couple days to kick in without me feeling sick - I feel like I can coast on the recovery for now. I'm gonna go out on a limb and see if the mood icon holds. If any indication, actually got my @$$ in gear for predawn location hike the other day for some HDR shots.

(oh crap, now y'all are gonna go off on The Love Boat or Poseidon Adventure)

#418118 - 12/03/12 11:49 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Q. Why does that ship have all the lights on?

A. So the Italian crew can see the rocks in front.

Edited by pufferfish (12/05/12 12:01 AM)

#418149 - 12/04/12 10:28 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: pufferfish]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Why does that ship have all the lights on?

Sun wasn't quite up yet. Hahaha...neither was I! Zombie photographer.

#418153 - 12/04/12 11:22 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Jude Offline

Despite not liking the pain meds - took a couple days to kick in without me feeling sick - I feel like I can coast on the recovery for now. I'm gonna go out on a limb and see if the mood icon holds. If any indication, actually got my @$$ in gear for predawn location hike the other day for some HDR shots.

Dave,

You coast all you want to. Give your motor a rest before you run out of gas.

Jude
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#418184 - 12/04/12 05:54 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/16/13 05:22 PM)

#418194 - 12/04/12 07:57 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have struggled with reading problems; dyslexia, etc.

Edited by pufferfish (12/04/12 07:58 PM)

#418204 - 12/04/12 11:18 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#418391 - 12/06/12 07:00 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#418899 - 12/12/12 08:46 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#418900 - 12/12/12 08:57 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good Jeff that you were asking about Lancer, I've thought to do the same.
I was wondering for couple of days now how is our "Poor Thing" wink?

#418972 - 12/12/12 09:21 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#418983 - 12/12/12 11:54 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: lapchinj]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

This seems to be the problem:

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (12/13/12 12:23 AM)

#418985 - 12/13/12 12:27 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#419021 - 12/13/12 01:51 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:19 PM)

#419319 - 12/16/12 11:54 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#419395 - 12/17/12 05:52 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Where is our man wink ?

#419417 - 12/18/12 12:14 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh Pero, that was right on. Loved it. This would make a great ringtone for me grin.

Peace,Rainbows & Healing
<3 XOXO
Jeff

#419459 - 12/18/12 10:49 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Very kewl penguins. Thanks guys...and LOVE Ertha! (grrrrrowwwwllllll)

Got involved up to my @$$ in a project the past coupla weeks and haven't been online. (Gaba, alas, acts like a nasty sleeping pill...but I get 7-10 hours at nite. How do people take FOUR of these things in a day??? I can barely tolerate ONE!).

Mostly doing well. I think the project really took my mind off of things. So, thanks again for the concern!

End of the World is Friday 11:11 UTC anyway. Given the Gabapentin, I'll probably sleep thru it! Damn. I really hate missing important events.

I think this should be my MS (and shingles) theme video:

#419498 - 12/18/12 04:50 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:24 PM)

#419505 - 12/18/12 07:32 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#419725 - 12/21/12 01:26 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maybe, just maybe, I can ditch this thread for the new year. Whaddya think guys?

Still hate the Gabopentin, but it's gonna be a fact of life for a while. Pain meds are only a few times a week now. Feel I've made real progress.

The next phase is the HIV meds study. Blood draw finally on Friday - if the world hasn't ended - which will determine my eligibility, specifically my particular HIV genome. Up to 30 days for that determination, perhaps sooner. The other "if" is whether I'll even be receiving the medication or a placebo. And I won't know unless I start feeling unusually better which, they've previously discovered, happens relatively quickly.

I did learn today the study is a couple years which can be extended another couple years depending on results and FDA approval processes.

Man, would that make my year or what?

#419733 - 12/21/12 06:25 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#419747 - 12/21/12 10:10 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow this thread is coming slowly to end (hopefully with Lancer's full healing).
I must add that this thread was so uplifting, in my view it is one of the best things written here lately wink

For upcoming Christmas and as Lancer already said that he likes Eartha Kitt, here is one great song with nice Christmas wishes, lol, lets all wish something good and positive to happen to us in next period smile

#419782 - 12/21/12 04:49 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Peace,Rainbows & Healing

#419784 - 12/21/12 05:11 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:26 PM)

#419899 - 12/23/12 07:33 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

y'know Pero, this thread was a HUGE success from my POV. Didn't have this kinda support three years ago during the first bout. Didn't have the funnies, the songs, the vids. And y'all stuck with me as it dragged on 2 months. Don't have words.

Pizza Leg? I mean, mygawd, who can forget that gem?

...and this, Pero, obviously out doesToo Wong Foo....

#419978 - 12/23/12 10:42 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 01:30 PM)

#420127 - 12/26/12 05:41 AM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: Lancer]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Lancer we would stay with you as long as needed wink

And yes that Eartha's song was my favorite Christmas song. I've recently went trough lyrics and than I was like OMG, lol

Hang on our "Poor Thing" wink

#420187 - 12/26/12 05:31 PM Re: HIV, Shingles...and CSA [Re: peroperic2009]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's the ideal summer camp experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufenR0qDlcQ

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.