Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (HD001, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443450 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#412614 - 10/09/12 03:03 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Anomalous

People around me have talked about and they seem fine with 30-60 years. I responded how about the message sent--a sentence on the low end of the range--meaning little was given for the lives of the victims--their lives were destroyed. And it seems the generally response is he will die in prison. Few seem to mention the victims whose lives have been ruined. I don't get it. How can few remember the victims? They are the lost ones here.

I was reading a New York Times article. Spoke of the horrible deeds Sandusky did--then spoke of the losses Penn State has endured as a result of the case. Not a mention of the losses the victims have lived for a lifetime.

#412615 - 10/09/12 03:12 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
FWIW, Cleland's statement about the victims:

“The fact you were assaulted is no cause for embarrassment or shame. It is for your courage, and not for your assault, for which you will be remembered.”

Personally, no, I'm not satisfied with the message the sentence sends. I'm gratified it has the effect of a life sentence, but the message still bothers me. Are people getting it? Yep. Some. That's progress.

#412616 - 10/09/12 03:13 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

To the populace... it's all over.

The comments about "Hopefully this will bring comfort..." Shows their ignorance.

No sentence, no punishment, will ever bring comfort or fix a darn thing or help in healing at all.

People out there just don't get, and they never will. To them, they'll go back to work and life and forget it happened.... and since they can do it, why the hell can't we? They got over it, what the hell is our problem?

It's the reason I just will not share my struggles with people who aren't survivors, it's a huge waste of my own energy and in the end leaves me more open to struggles, depression, and triggers. Anything else is like trying to teach a monkey to solve a rubiks cube.

Sure we need to raise awareness so hopefully other kids can be protected, but when it comes to understanding... I don't think it's even possible.

#412630 - 10/09/12 04:53 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi Guys,

I was watching In Session (formerly Court TV) and one of the people was talking about how the sentence was sending the wrong message to both the populus and to the victims.

Whether or not a sentence of 30 years will mean Sandusky will more than likely die in prison is not the issue. The issue is that a minimum of 30 years - with parole eligibility - sends the message that the heinousness of his acts did not warrant the maximum sentence possible.

There should be NO "light at the end of the tunnel" for Sandusky. However miniscule, there should be no hope that he may get out of prison.

Someone on that show commented that it was a "cost analysis." If Sandusky were to get very ill that it would benefit the taxpayers to have him go home rather than have the state pay for his medical care.

Whatever reasons people want to give to be satisfied with the judge's sentencing, they are ignoring the bigger issues. The boys that were harmed are now young men still living with, and trying to overcome, the effects of the abuse. One of them talked about the flashbacks and the damage to his relationships as he gave his victim impact statement. Their healing will go on for years.

A few people who tweeted and FB'd their comments took note of the short sentence and broke it down into months/ offense. I believe the judge sent a very bad message by not giving Sandusky hundreds of years and by not making the sentences consecutive. Would he ever live long enough to serve all of it? No. But there would be no chance of parole, no matter how slim and no "light" at the end of the tunnel. His tunnel should end with finality.

Those who were victimized by Sandusky didn't have the option of a shorter "sentence" nor the possibility of "parole." They have to live with this for the rest of their lives. With help, the abuse will have less devestating effects on their lives.

One of the young men apologized to the others for not having come forward sooner and thereby protecting them from being victimized by Sandusky. Sadly, he is feeling guilty for the actions of that monster. He didn't cause them harm, Sandusky did.

These brave young men need to be remembered - not as Sandusky's victims, but for their courage, and their role in bringing him before the court. Their strength and bravery is to be applauded and to send the message that others who are abused do have a voice and they will be believed.

The sentence may be more than disappointing. But the populus will only forget about the deeper meaning of this trial if this sentence serves to silence other victims.

Hopefully the message that one can bring their abuser to court, be believed by the jury and get a conviction will be the enduring legacy of this trial.

Anomalous

#412633 - 10/09/12 06:21 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Anomalous]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I totally agree with In Session. The message is wrong--the lower end of the range of the possible sentence does not do justice nor does it assign proper context to the severity and destructiveness of his heinous acts. I was sicken by it. I have heard many say at least he will die in prison. But the victims have been slowly dying everyday of their life--the victim once again is forgotten. Those brave men who spoke to his face and told Sandusky how he destroyed their lives need to be recognized, understood and given a hug--to show their lives are worth living. Sandusky's statement ripped at my soul and heart--I have heard this is common for all abusers to deny and not believe their actions were destructive. Sad world.

#412661 - 10/09/12 10:58 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: KMCINVA]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
So how long will the sentence really be? Will the cut it short for "good behavior" or something? (No boys in prison to molest)?

Edited by pufferfish (10/10/12 12:32 AM)

#412662 - 10/09/12 11:31 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Sandusky received a more severe sentence than the MTI from Lackland that had 10 victims.

SSgt Walker received 20 years (or 2 years per victim) when he was eligible for a life sentence.

Sandusky received 30-60 years (or 3-6 years per victim) when he was eligible for about 400 years.

Talk about screwed up. Rape is rape. The message was totally wrong in both instances.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#412696 - 10/10/12 01:40 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
unless they keep him under protective custody - his days in prison are already numbered. child molesters do not do well "within the grey walls". even protective custody can't completely protect him.

personally - i'm ready to stop talking about sandusky and whether his sentence was fair or not and give my energy and time for the victims. the perp has had MORE than his 15 seconds of fame - it's time to forget him and work on preventing more of the same from others.

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#412700 - 10/10/12 02:25 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I agree--time for focus on the victims an outreach programs to help those victims as well as programs to encourage those who have been abused to seek help and begin the healing process at a younger age--so they can move toward becoming who they could become.

Sandusky should rot in jail and like you said, survival for a mass perp like him, his time could be numbered.

Now the media should join in and reach out to the victims and survivors as well as educating the public how the life of the victim is forever changed. I have been learning the medical profession is studying the effects of the abuse and the related trauma on the mind and brain--if people knew what has been learned to date--they would realize the victim has been changed and maybe would extend a hand and not be so judgmental.

#413107 - 10/14/12 05:53 PM Re: Sandusky Statement fr Jail (Mon 10/08) [Re: Lancer]
jls Offline

He says his wife was his only sex partner. This much may be true since sexual abuse victims are not partners in the crimes committed against them. Sandusky's very choice of words in such a statement illustrates how irreparably misguided he is. As far as not having enough time to prepare before trial, well, he had enough time to give ridiculous interviews to the media so enough said.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.