Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443006 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#412114 - 10/03/12 11:17 PM Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie
Jwmcd2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Since it's pretty much common practice in any forum I've been in before, I wanted to make this thread and introduce myself.

I'm a male survivor of sexual abuse, 21 years old and recently graduated college with a bachelor's degree in nursing of all things. I'm pretty nervous about being here but I was steered here by some resources and I figure I could at least try.

I'm not really sure what other kind of information there is to share, but feel free to ask away if you're curious.

#412119 - 10/03/12 11:38 PM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Welcome, Jw...

feel free to share as much or as little as you are ready for - at whatever time you feel like it. there is a great diversity here in the amount that people share and in the details of their experiences. what we have in common is the shared bond of abuse.

you will find understanding, acceptance, support, information, validation, and friendship here. it has been a major factor in whatever progress i have made.

others will give you valuable insights and advice as well.
you are among friends,
Lee

Edited by traveler (10/04/12 12:44 AM)
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#412124 - 10/04/12 01:13 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
tjp42588 Offline

Loc: Detroit MI
Welcome! I have only been on the site for a couple weeks now, but it has helped trmendously. I always felt like I was alone in this fight and now I know that there are so many people like me. No matter what issues you have, there will be someone here that will have advice. I am telling you....it is amazing! Hope you enjoyee the site and get to where you need to be with everything you are dealing with. I am 24, so I am also a younger member on here. If you even want to chat, feel free!

#412125 - 10/04/12 01:23 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Welcome and jump right in brother. This is a great site with great and very open people. You are among friends.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#412134 - 10/04/12 03:13 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Welcome JW,

I am also a nurse and a male survivor of sexual abuse. You are very couragous to seek healing at the age of 21. Many of us held it in till middle age and it ruined our lives. You have your whole life ahead of you to live as a whole healthy man. Chicks dig that! (umm I guess guys do too). Run with it. It will be painful and hard, but worth it. Post when the going gets rough and you'll find out how many friends you have on MS>

Gary
You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real"
Van Halen

#412139 - 10/04/12 06:46 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
Jwmcd2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

@Gary: Thanks. Lol it's not really seemed to make much difference with the women I've been around. Still working on getting that first job. Big pain in the butt when everyone seems to want 1 year experience minimum.

@Country: Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement.

@TJP: thanks, and it's nice to see the response already-- I've kind of been dying to find a group of guys that went through similar to what I did.

@Traveler: thanks-- it's all kind of overwhelming with all the stuff there is I could talk about but yeah, I'm just going to try and take it slow as possible at first to see how it goes.

#412142 - 10/04/12 07:19 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Brave step! Congrats on taking it!

I really admire all you young guys working on these issues already. For many here I'm a "younger" fellow too (I'm only 37).

Started my journey on this site here 5 years ago, when I was 32, which according to numbers and statistics puts me ahead of the averages game as well.

You've already gotten some good advice, definitely don't rush it, and share only what you're comfortable sharing. Also in that quest to find people with similar experiences, don't dig in too deep to all the survivor stories here. They are difficult and full of so many horrible things, and you'll find yourself triggered and I know for me, I had to up and stop reading them altogether because it just caused me to spiral down into a puddle of mess.

#412174 - 10/04/12 11:17 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 08:44 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#412178 - 10/04/12 11:40 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
Welcome. I am a recent member too and found this site to be an awesome resource. I am also a survivor, but I am moving forward thanks in part to the people I have met here, and with the counseling I am now getting because I finally found the strength to start.

#412190 - 10/04/12 02:34 PM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
Jwmcd2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks guys. The welcome I've gotten has made it a little bit easier to make me want to look around a bit-- to be honest I'm so used to forums and such being kind of cut-throat that it's surprising to find a place like this.

#412228 - 10/05/12 12:27 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi JW,

Welcome to MS.

I am glad you have found this place of healing and support.

You do not state whether or not you are in therapy. If you feel therapy is an option, there are resources available. For help in finding a therapist please read the Consumers Guide to Therapist Shopping. Psychology Today has listings of therapists for all states and counties. You can choose the type of therapist you are seeking as well as the area(s) to which you are willng to travel. Also check your county rape crisis center. They offer services to males and females, at no cost to county residents. Some offer support groups in addition to individual therapy.

Take your time and look around. You do not want to trigger yourself by reading too many posts at one time.

At your own pace, read the boards and wander into chat. The lounge (chat) is open 24 hours a day though it isn't always populated.

We also have moderated chats called Healing Circles. They meet on Sunday and Wednesday evenings at 9pm eastern time and one on Tuesday at 19:00 UTC (European and African time zone) which translates to 2 PM Eastern US time zone. The Healing Circle on Tuesdays is scheduled to resume in January.

Again, welcome to MS.

Anomalous

#412331 - 10/06/12 10:15 AM Re: Hello from an admittedly nervous newbie [Re: Jwmcd2]
Jim1104 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I am so happy that you are here. You are in a place with true friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.