Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443353 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#412066 - 10/03/12 08:16 AM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Country,

I joined the Catholic church in 2003 after many many years of being an atheist/agnostic.

I keep a LOW profile about my Faith here, but since you have opened the door... I am glad to add and learn from this thread (assuming mutual respect is maintained).

I was first exposed to the real Catholic Church's doctrine back when I was engaged to marry my wife at the mandatory "Marriage Classes", they were quite interesting to me and fit with my desire to commit to marriage and have a family.

Shortly after 9/11 and my wife's cancer diagnosis I needed God in my life in a REAL way, so I decided to join the Church and went through the RCIA program (adult education program for those wanting to join). I was baptized and confirmed at the Easter 2003 Vigil service (which is a wonderful memory for me).

Six years ago I joined a men's fellowship group (we meet Sat mornings at 7:30 am). We have discussed (and debated) many topics over the years, so I am fairly knowledgeable. One of the members of our group was actually a retired criminal lawyer who liked to argue just about EVERYTHING (he was leaning more Protestant, and actually very unhappy with the Catholic Church's soft political stances).

As far as Holy Water, yes it is water blessed by the priests. I dip my finger in and bless myself with it when entering/exiting the church. It is not mandatory to do this, just a Tradition. I had not thought much about the bacteria thing (wow, my wife would go nuts thinking about that...).

I had my foot washed once by our pastor at the Holy Thursday service (Thursday before Good Friday/Easter Sunday). This service re-enacts the Last Supper, and the priests wash the feet to symbolically show their role of humility and service to others.

I also have had my foot washed during a fantastic "experiential" men's retreat, and also washed men's feet later as a staff member.

Let me know if you have any more questions (PM if you prefer). I'll add here that Catholics (at least according to doctrine) do NOT worship Mary. We do ask (in prayer) for Mary (and other Saints) to pray for us. This is similar to asking others here on earth to pray for our needs.

We do not worship statues or other idols. We do read/study the Bible. In fact I do not know of any one hour experience more focused on Jesus and the Bible than a Catholic Mass service.

Take care and God Bless,
Jim

My Story

#412089 - 10/03/12 03:14 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks for the info Jim. I kinda like the part of the holy water, kinda like leaving all the bad and evil out if the church and service. Then protecting you as you leave. In our church we don't pray to any one or thing other than the Trinity...We beliee Jesus is the Son of God and believe in the Holy Spirit that came after Jesus died and rose from the dead to ascend into Heaven. I am not saying what you do is wrong just stating what we do is all. We are non denominational. We have really wonder services and great down to earth step on your toes preaching. I have been to a Catholic service earlier in my life when I was young and I don't remember anything about it really.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#412090 - 10/03/12 03:17 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

I have also been to foot washings and it is about people showing that they are not too good or better than the other human. We are all the same in Gods eyes. We baptize after someone has been saved and then hopefully they have fully surrendered to God and they are sanctified. Them the urge to sin is way lessened and they can focus on serving God and learning

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#414307 - 10/26/12 03:09 AM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

you made a good point Scott..Thank you for the kick in the butt..Point taken and I am sorry for that...

#414308 - 10/26/12 03:15 AM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

so as I was witnessing to some people a guy joins in and says how can I prove God and he believes in science and not God.. I said that I do not have to prove that God exist if you are into science because science can not prove that He didnt exist so therefore He must say there is a possiblity.. If it is possible then he cant say that he doesnt believe in God or that he never existed.. anyway just wanted to share that..Hope everyone is great no matter what faith you are.. Peace

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.