Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447733 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410987 - 09/21/12 07:42 PM Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
I was just thinking that an open dialogue would maybe be helpful. I am eager to learn stuff from other or talk about differences and we can learn alot from each other. This shouldn't turn into a "My faith is better than yours" discussion. Just open and mature dialogue or Q&A if you will. Like I seen a Buddism thread an I don't know alot about it. Just wondering if there are some same basic principles. I have been southern baptist, Methodist, church of God and church of God of prophecy. So I guess I am a church slut. Now the church I attend is non denominational. Also I would like to know about Catholics and there ways. Or if anyone is atheist lets talk about what you think and why. May be good for use all to learn from each other. It's an idea anyway to kinda unite us and come to a better understanding.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#410988 - 09/21/12 07:43 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

Any nominations for a thread bouncer? Someone I it gets too heated that can out someone in time out?

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#410995 - 09/21/12 08:12 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

One question I have is what exactly is holy water for in Catholicism ? I think it is in like the front by the entrance.

#410999 - 09/21/12 08:58 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
great idea, Country! i guess i've been around the block a few times, too, looking for a church that met my expectations. lots of em i wouldn't go back to. back to your question - i don't know how holy water started or what the point is. i know water is symbolic in scripture and used in baptism , but beyond that...? i can't answer that one.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#411006 - 09/21/12 10:23 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

I know that some anoint or sprinkle with water and that is their form of baptism. Some anoint with oil. I was just wondering was it like cleansing themselves before services or what it was exactly for. Maybe someone can answer it for me.

#411056 - 09/22/12 12:12 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

For those abused in church or by Clergy , I offer a heart felt apology and want you to know that this is not Gods design andn that these people will be held to an even higher judgement than most people..I hate that this happens by ones that are suppose to help you in your walk with God..

#411588 - 09/27/12 09:45 PM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
Country Offline

Has anyone ever par taken in a foot washing ceremony? I did a few times. Once at a Methodist church and once at a Church of God of Propechy.

#411654 - 09/28/12 08:48 AM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Pretty sure the idea of "Holy Water" is just water that has been "blessed" by a Priest or Pastor, typically for purposes of Baptism. It's essentially water dedicated for Baptism.

Some churches leave it in it's container constantly which during various outbreaks (like swine flu etc) raised concerns for many people because of a fear of infection. I find it interesting that "studies" have been done to test "holy water" from various churches to see if it contained bacteria.... the answer of course was a huge affirmative yes... like did they seriously expect any other result? Sorry, It was just one of those eyebrow raising moments for me that people would assume that somehow a standing pool of "holy water" would someone be different bacteria wise than any other standing pool of water.

Haven't ever experienced a foot washing. Actually this is the first time I'm hearing of it, and I currently attend a UMC church.

The church I attend does something every once in awhile that baffles me. We have a service almost identical to communion, but instead of using wine/grape juice they use plain old water.... They call it something like a friendship or fellowship service.

#411728 - 09/29/12 12:57 AM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
ALIVE 3n1 Offline

Loc: Throne Room of God
The Anabaptist denominations have usually combined foot washing and communion in the same service. It has been many years since I have observed this so I do not know if they still practice it as much as they once did.

#411735 - 09/29/12 04:18 AM Re: Open dialogue.. No getting mad or offended [Re: Country]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i've experienced foot-washing several times. never in a church service - it is quite meaningful when in a small group with people you feel close to. once was in a youth group, once in a small Bible study group, another time we washed one another's hands rather than feet. it really felt humbling and intimate - took a lot of trust - both being the washer and the washee. i think it would be sort of weird with strangers or people you don't know well.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.