Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64205 Topics
448046 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#411863 - 09/30/12 09:37 PM Golden Girls
jj78 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Midwest
I am a 34-year old married father of two, who loves sports and cars, and have always been a very driven and ambitious guy. Throughout my high school and college years, I loved most pop/rock music, watched ESPN routinely, and played ball with my buds when I wasn't studying for the next exam. Nearly everything about me aligned to the image of your regular masculine heterosexual guy...except my affection for the famous 80s sitcom "Golden Girls."

Golden Girls won multiple emmy awards throughout the 80s and early 90s for its great acting and cleverly written scripts. It is such a popular series that it remains in syndicate on Lifetime or Hallmark channels commonly watched by a female audience. Much of the storylines centered around a woman's point of view, and how four women living together handled various women's issues of the day.

So many in my life always seemed to wonder why why I, as a very normal straight-acting guy, would be so into this show. I know my good male friends always thought it was odd, and my father would occasionally mention than it seemed like a silly show. Well, the answer goes all the way back to April, 1988, two weeks before my 10th birthday. On that third April Saturday, I was pleased to hear from my mom that I was going to be able to stay with my grandparents. I always loved staying there as I usually got to stay up later, and always to make my own ice cream sundae. As had been the case the prior times I had stayed there on a Saturday night, I stayed up and watched the Golden Girls with my grandparents. I loved how they would laugh hysterically at this show, despite not really understanding the humor. As it drew closer to 9:00, and the show was ending, I put my empty bowl in the sink, and headed to bed. That night my grandpa offered to put me to bed. And it was that night...that he also decided to take my innocence from me. It was a night that I will never forget as long as I live, and was/is the reason why to this day I am a fan of the Golden Girls. You see...that was the last memory I had of living a normal childhood, and something I cling to in difficult times.

This strange mystery that those around me have never been able to understand will likely remain a mystery. But for my fellow survivors on here, it's not a mystery, and I appreciate your support. So thank you all for being a friend.

#411866 - 09/30/12 10:03 PM Re: Golden Girls [Re: jj78]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Hey, jj78, I think you're lucky to have such a wholesome reminder of your pre-abuse childhood! And what's wrong with liking an Emmy-winning comedy loaded with amazing talent?

Sure, most of us guys cringe at "chick flicks" and we'll scream if we hear any more about that vampire or werewolf guy on HBO... but I say, power up Golden Girls whenever you want... like when you're tired of the juvenile beer commercials on ESPN. Peace!

John

p.s.: My favorite movie is "The Wizard of Oz." I've seen it maybe 50 times, and I could watch it again. And I stilllove the "Freddy the Pig" books (written 1927 thru 1958) because they take me back to happier times.

#411886 - 10/01/12 06:47 AM Re: Golden Girls [Re: jj78]
StarBuck31 Offline

Loc: FL, Pensacola
I don't think you have to be a woman or gay to like the golden girls, my father, who was a manly man him self, still watches the show. I rember my dad actualy laughing, wich was difficult to see, and smeiling. I think we put to much stress on what is manly in this world, I think that men in western world need to forgive them selves, that they don't reach this insane view of masculinity.

p.s. I'm a Dorthy wink

#411888 - 10/01/12 07:41 AM Re: Golden Girls [Re: jj78]
jj78 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Midwest
Hey, thanks guys for the reply. I'm not as concerned about my own identity and watching this show...it's more a matter of what it really means to me that nobody knows about. Kind of like that last memory of being a child if that makes sense.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.