Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (don64), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63787 Topics
445442 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >
Topic Options
#411369 - 09/25/12 01:37 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
Thanks, Gary, but today I want to hide under a rock. I get so scared when good stuff happens. Therapy sessions get difficult, too -- I have one today.

#411387 - 09/25/12 07:10 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

(((Thebo)))

You're doing great.

I know what you mean about wanting to hide under a rock. Being extroverted is exhausting.

Jim

#411410 - 09/26/12 12:04 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

So true. LOL.

#412554 - 10/09/12 03:32 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Tonight's AT1 class was a study of the Kramer method of analysis. Very interesting. For the sake of learning where a client is he will first draw a picture in pencil, then paint a picture, and finish up by making something with clay. Pencil for cognitive and technical skills is more free association. Pencil, because it can be a erased, can allow a greater degree of control.

The shift to paint releases emotional expressions as the client gains more command over the medium.

Clay is about dexterity as well as possessing the potential for regression. Clay is primal.

The entire class did "experientials" (we made some art smile ) last week based on Kramer's evaluation method and brought it in for discussion this week. People, the teacher particularly it seems, liked my clay piece. The teacher pointed out that in a session Edith Kramer would have the patient paint the unfired clay as coloring the object immediately was important to the analytic process.

Some of you are wondering no doubt who the hell Edith Kramer is. Edith Kramer is one of the people who founded the concept of art as therapy. She herself was an artist and, in her time, worked in institutions for children with what we today would call special needs. She believed that creating art in and of itself was the healing process. Analyzing meaning was not so much her emphasis.

The class discussed what color my sculpture might be if color were applied. Some interesting answers. The teacher asked me. I told them I want it to be colorful; lots of red, pink, bright blue, etc. I'll leave it as is until the end of the course. Once the course is over I may sand it and smooth it down and paint it. I did not tell anyone I want to paint it with nail polish for the shiniest finish possible.

I have been accepted to work as a volunteer for the Expressive Arts Therapies Summit taking place early in November. It's a series of workshops and events focused on creative arts therapies. I will be working two days as a volunteer in exchange for two days attendance for free. I am excited because there is a workshop/lecture on the use of dollmaking in therapy. One of my hobbies is collecting, making, and repairing dolls.

Some of you who are sticking around reading this are probably delighted at this entry as a welcomed departure from my usual bitch and moan sessions I've been putting here of late. smile

Tomorrow I am taking the body of my collages (around 50 pieces) to my therapy session. My T has agreed that we can look at it as a body of work. It's time. Individually the pieces do have their particular importance, but the time has come to look at them progressively and as a unit. I'll keep you posted.

My other class, four 7 hour sessions, begins Saturday. Rhythm
and Role will be interesting. I have no doubt.

#412557 - 10/09/12 03:57 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Thebo -

this all sounds exciting. and how i wish i could see your collages. i had my art II students make collage/mixed media works this quarter. some very diverse approaches. (i never really thought of my art classes as therapy - but i guess they could be. the kids say it is like an oasis of relaxation in their day - and the only class subject where i have to make them leave!) if you are ever able to share yours here or on another site, i would love to see them.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#412626 - 10/09/12 04:32 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Thebo,

I love it when you post something positive. Please keep it up!

Jude
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine.
Sheryl Crow

#412669 - 10/10/12 02:35 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, Lee. At one time I had posted some here, but was asked to remove them. Most of the images are rather intense and being that they deal with own view of myself and processing they are graphic and, at times disturbing, even gruesome. I have no problem sharing but it would have to be in a different venue.

As a teacher you certainly seem to provide your students with an opportunity to express through art and thereby provide, in the act of creating art itself, healing.

Kudos!

#412670 - 10/10/12 02:36 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks. And I thank you for putting up with me when I don't.

#412676 - 10/10/12 03:34 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Thebo,
I love so much to see you peaceful and positive smile
I must thank you for bringing some other dimension here at MS and into talk about healing and recovery. We need to expand our horizons and you are doing exactly that with your story and art smile
My I suggest you to show to Lee-traveler some of your works trough PMs ?
It could be fun and fruitful for both of you wink !
Be well!

Pero

#412749 - 10/11/12 02:04 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Certainly. Good idea. Thanks.

Page 15 of 20 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.