Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jay1946, Austintexan, JW1230), 18 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63994 Topics
446677 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#410775 - 09/20/12 01:28 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
I'm gonna back up Magellan by sidestepping a bit to make some language distinctions and how important they are.

I have a problem with absolutes, i.e., "lust is a sin". I have no problem, however, with someone saying, "I BELIEVE lust is a sin." I can respect that because the person has the personal conviction to express it in the first person.

But something expressed as an unqualified absolute (homosexuality is a sin, jacking off is a sin, etc.) begs the question - and a total mindfuck setup if there ever was one - according to WHOM? You? YOUR God? Well, that's nice, but some of us don't believe in Your God.

If you can parse the distinction, I'm pointing out the importance of language, particularly in this forum.

#410776 - 09/20/12 01:30 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: JustScott]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Nope, read it again. I said "I grew up a fundamentalist Christian". I singled MYSELF out.

In the thread title: "religious". My gripe is with ALL religions. I have personal experience with one of them, and thus, can speak from that experience. My personal experience.

If you choose to see it as singling YOU out, then be my guest. My words simply aren't there to support your conclusion.

D

Originally Posted By: JustScott
You did single out one.

You started off with Christianity, then stated a "basic tenent of religion" which was a quote from the Bible and thus Christianity again.

So religious opinion and thought should only be allowed in certain places? Ok then, start up the concentration camps, and declare freedom for all those on the outside.

#410777 - 09/20/12 01:31 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Lancer]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for stating my point more eloquently than I did, Lancer.

Originally Posted By: Lancer
I'm gonna back up Magellan by sidestepping a bit to make some language distinctions and how important they are.

I have a problem with absolutes, i.e., "lust is a sin". I have no problem, however, with someone saying, "I BELIEVE lust is a sin." I can respect that because the person has the personal conviction to express it in the first person.

But something expressed as an unqualified absolute (homosexuality is a sin, jacking off is a sin, etc.) begs the question - and a total mindfuck setup if there ever was one - according to WHOM? You? YOUR God? Well, that's nice, but some of us don't believe in Your God.

If you can parse the distinction, I'm pointing out the importance of language, particularly in this forum.

#410780 - 09/20/12 01:40 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Got your back, bro. {{{{{{{{{Magellan}}}}}}}}}} I'm sometimes a pretty good diplomat...and modest too. ;-)

#410781 - 09/20/12 01:43 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I don't believe I ever said you were singling "ME" out.

But regardless you quoted the Bible and stated it to be a basic tenent of religion... which certainly it is a part of religious teaching but the only one I'm aware of is Christianity.

If you meant ALL religions, then quoting from only ONE of them certainly doesn't help your case. It only makes it appear that you intended one in particular while talking about the many. Specifically the one attached to the individual who is at the root of the original post that sparked the whole thing.

That being said, I believe what I'm saying in that paragraph above is in 100% agreement with Lancer where he says, "I'm pointing out the importance of language,". The words we use are important.

I always personally try to qualify my words by stating "I believe" or "The Bible teaches", especially when talking about topics such as the current situation. I agree 100% with Lancer, the way we state things can surely color the statement in a way that may or may not be intended. I also agree that just because I believe a certain way, and believe it to be the way it is, doesn't mean I can thus expect everyone to think and feel the same way. I certainly know that not everyone believes in God. I've said quite a few times and in quite a few different settings that I have more people I call friend who are gay and/or atheist than who are Christians simply because (and this certainly can be found in ALL religions) many I have met are judgmental and hateful. But then I've met plenty of gay/atheist who are just as hateful as well.

#410782 - 09/20/12 01:48 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm not going to speak on specific beliefs of religions I have no experience with. That would be arrogant.

I speak from my personal experience, which is Christianity.

One last time - I hope this is clear - my beef is with ALL RELIGIONS. PERIOD. I stated examples by stating my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with one of them. To try otherwise would be presumptuous and outside of my realm of experience.

And thanks for your thoughtful last paragraph. We're in TOTAL AGREEMENT there.

D

Edited by Magellan (09/20/12 01:50 PM)

#410786 - 09/20/12 02:10 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Lancer I am sorry but I read the bible and it says to lust is just the same as doing it. I am a follower of God and no specific religion. So if I read in the bible that lust is sin then to me it is. Whatever the bible say is my opinion

Edited by Country (09/20/12 02:11 PM)
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#410791 - 09/20/12 02:25 PM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
2 Timothy 2:22 refers to lust and there are several more
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#410915 - 09/21/12 02:47 AM Re: Why are religious people so JUDGMENTAL? [Re: Magellan]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for the post, Scott, and demonstrating that, yeah, personal responsibility actively works in your faith. I like your balanced approach a lot.

#411077 - 09/22/12 02:58 PM * [Re: peroperic2009]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:16 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.