Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
1 registered (tbkkfile), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64194 Topics
447976 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#410893 - 09/20/12 10:55 PM How does God see you?
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Last night – the men’s group I attend was amazing. It was on the topic, “How does God see you?”

Our leader started out by asking us how we were assessed by our parents – what they said about us and to us about how they saw us. There was some reluctance to talk about it but once the resistance broke down, it became obvious that some felt valued and accepted, while a surprisingly large number felt devalued and rejected. Of course, I was in the latter group.

One of the points was that when Jesus first met Peter – he called him by name – and also told him of his future destiny – including a new name and new identity. God knew him for who he was – but saw in him who he would become. He was not judged for his failings and weakness – but was changed to become someone much stronger and better and his character was transformed.

Same with us – the feelings of worthlessness and low self-esteem are lies. God loves and accepts and values us.

Amazing quote:
*** “So Jesus is not ashamed to call them (that is US – as His followers!) brothers and sisters.” *** Heb 2:11

WOW – if Jesus is not ashamed of me – I don’t have any reason to feel ashamed of myself. I think his standards are more reliable than mine! And another incredible thing – if I am His brother – then God is my Father. (obviously!) I have always heard that Father name for God and had trouble believing it or feeling it was true – or just felt it wasn’t such a good thing – because my feelings about my dead real father and live step-father messed up my concept of fatherhood. By getting it more indirectly – this way – maybe because I have a good relationship with my full brother, I was able to let that truth sneak in through the back door – without having my defenses up so much. (The whole chapter is worth reading, especially verses 10-18.)

Another gem:
“God’s love is not dependent upon our performance or success. if we base our worth on our performance – success will make us egotistical – and failure will make us dysfunctional.”

At the end, he asked us to think of what we would have wanted our parents to say to us. I was thinking of what God said at the baptism of Jesus: “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” That was exactly what I needed to hear. During the closing prayer, he asked each of us to imagine God standing before us and saying the words of love and acceptance and affirmation that we needed to hear to be healed. He used exactly those words as part of the prayer: “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” Of course, tears were streaming down my face.

I’m still being surprised by God speaking and working in my life. And wondering why He took so long to show up. Guessing it has more to do with my awareness and openness – or the opposite - than anything else.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#410975 - 09/21/12 02:42 PM Re: How does God see you? [Re: traveler]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
You are right Lee. Gods love is at times hard to understand by us. But it is a never failing love
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#411040 - 09/22/12 08:46 AM Re: How does God see you? [Re: traveler]
Farmer Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Thanks Lee

I needed this - It gave me puddles in the eyes.

I had forgotten about this and I NEVER, NEVER talk about this because it is a bit out there. I also was made to feel like a lier when I told my parents. When I was 10 I had a vision/dream of a dove/light over my bed (in the corner of the room) and a voice saying 'you are my son with whom I am pleased' That was just before I decided to get baptisted. The youngest in my church ever. Even though I had this awesome experience (which I didn't and still don't understand) I still felt unworthy of God's love. I did have a sense that God would do something 'important' with my life. I am only now, 25 years later, starting to understand that God's love is not dependant on my performance.

I think it comes down to God's timing.....we can't expect to understand how God works....we just need to know that He DOES work.

#411482 - 09/26/12 07:56 PM Re: How does God see you? [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
quick follow-up:

last Sunday, for the 1st time in my life, i was able to sing the songs that address God as "Father" without flinching or having the word catch in my throat. smile

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#411540 - 09/27/12 12:56 PM Re: How does God see you? [Re: traveler]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
I am loving the way that you are opening up right in front of us and even happier that you are sharing what happens. I am so glad for you
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.