Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blakanezebruh (43), OneWithStrength (37), Parker (45), scottyg (42)
Who's Online
2 registered (Sonata1, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446622 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410519 - 09/18/12 11:56 AM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Robert1000 Offline

Phoenix! What do you want me to say? There is no point? That's bogus! I hate to be hard on you, buddy, but come here for growth and healing, not to reinforce your own crappy mood. And don't get me wrong, I used the word "mood" specifically. Your dark view is nothing more than a mood, my friend. It'll pass. It's not some deep insight into the meaning of life. It's a mood.

I hope it passes for you. As Magellan said, Keep going, don't give up. It's worth it in the end.

#410525 - 09/18/12 12:34 PM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Phoenix,
I am also Bipolar and my manic phases were fun...but they were also when I did the most damage to myself and others. I am happily on medication that evens out my moods. I don't have answers to the question "What is the meaning of life?" but I do know that I am finally starting to see daylight, stop hating myself, and trying to figure out how to actually love myself and someone else. Thats waiting for you too. Keep seeking it brother.

Gary
That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
Rare Earth

#410540 - 09/18/12 03:18 PM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Steve0123 Offline

Be. Happy. smile

I amend that ...pursue happiness, I realize some days you just can't be happy but spend your life doing whatever it is that makes you truly happy ( and that may change constantly)....

...your other option is to spend your life questioning everything and never coming to an acceptable answer.

Edited by Steve0123 (09/18/12 03:22 PM)

#410586 - 09/19/12 01:00 AM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
*triggers**

Robert, I kinda feel marginalized by your statement. You might want to live in another's shoes before judging. Let's see, I missed being a kid (raped at 3.5 years old, lived in an abusive hell--lived in fear for 18 years--the rest of it, my sperm donor--hell, if there is one, is too good for this dick--wouldn't let me have friends), missed my prom (even though high school was nothing but being bullied daily--that did piss me off), didn't get my high school yearbook (too expensive--mom got one after she found out dad refused) and none signed it because I got one that summer, couldn't participate in after school activities cause of the dick sperm donor, moved every two years because of that shitty military brat lifestyle (I met any and all obligations to the United States of America is my thought--yeah I may not have served but my ass paid as much as any soldier and I left it with PTSD, GAD, Bipolar, an all-night rape by a military man and his wife, etc.) giving me no stability, bullied throughout school, etc. This is just what I know from mom and my brother since I know little of childhood. I also slept with 3 female teachers from 14-15. Truthfully, that was the only good thing I ever got from school. Is that terrible to say? Yeah, it is for 99% of people, but it was nothing compared to the hell I lived in. I would've run away with the 1st one. You know why? She treated me like a human being. I kept that quiet till just this year when I told Pero about it. That's how shitty my life was as a kid. My rape when I was a toddler made me an adult by 5-6 years old. I was sexually active at 9 years old. Now, all that shaped who I was emotionally till now and beyond now. I went through a ton of suicide hospitalizations over my shitty childhood. Those 12 self-serving useless wastes of flesh called therapists set me back 15 years with their lies and bullshit. I hope they all choke on the lucre they stole from me! So, yeah, if I can't ask, what was the point of me existing cause it seemed like I mattered little if at all, who can?

Robert, I'm glad you have the wife (don't fuck it up cause she's the way out not the therapists!) and kids. Other than as a sex toy, nobody wanted me like she wanted you. Yeah, I'm pissed I missed love (no idea what it is to this day) and the opportunity of kids. You had those two so how do you know how someone like me would feel? I had to make peace, not only with the rape and the endless child abuse, with all I lost.

My life experiences is why I know God is an absentee landlord who doesn't give a fuck anyway. Hell, I could talk about that den of vipers who saw me, my mom and my brother's suffering and never gave a shit one iota. It automatically makes me assume all church people are hypocrites till they prove different. Is that fair? I don't know. My sperm donor also used religion as a weapon to control me, too. The bigger reason why I hate religion no matter what one they claim to serve (the assholes in-charge of all religions serve one person--themselves I'd bet 90% of the time).

Steve, yep, what you say is true. I'm gonna get rich, have fun and worry about nothing.

Garydosh, I'm with ya. Self-hate is a biggie. I'm getting through it. My anger, now and then, has turned to those who put me in those positions of loss not myself. That's a big revelation to get. The only ones I haven't really forgiven are my sperm donor (when he's dead I will) and those therapists that did zero for me except line their pockets with my money.

The meaning of life? Maybe, just maybe, there is none. Who cares? It ain't gonna make me money to take care of myself is it? Hell no.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#410594 - 09/19/12 03:27 AM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
As often happens lately, we're on the same page Phoenix on some of my T$, often not finding peace until my various abusers had finally died, etc. AND, I voiced your question - what's the point? - verbatim with an expletive added a couple weeks ago to the T. He took notes and then handed them to me. I like that this guy's 100% present during the session and nothing else. Dunno if any of this strikes a chord - it might not since they're my issues - but thot I'd put it out there.

1. Expose the perpetrator
2. Protect other children (which brought me to tears)
3. Expose the institutions
4. Put the issue to rest
5. Medical health/mental health
6. Affect my work (part of me died)
7. Desperate to get back the level/quality of my work

(The work thing is a big one for me. I'm in visual media - always my best outlet anyway - and I'm avoiding a project right now by being on MS). Yeah, I use the Devil's Advocate quote(s) quite a bit ;-)

This probably sounds trivial as hell - I probably sound like a total disconnect - but what works for me lately is the thought I was put here to care for the dozen felines I've had over the course of 25 years. Only one elderly one is left and I lavish all the love on him I've ever had for any of them. Nope. Don't have kids. Don't have a partner. Don't care. I'm not religious. I'm not inclined to go metaphysical on people. But I believe the "litter critters" have spirits and that's where I connect. Probably places me somewhere between Native American and Hindu. It doesn't make me rich, powerful, influential or famous. But it's exactly where I feel I fit and where I'm at peace. <--that kind of honesty isn't easy for me to post publicly

#410601 - 09/19/12 06:40 AM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: Lancer]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: Lancer
As often happens lately, we're on the same page Phoenix on some of my T$, often not finding peace until my various abusers had finally died, etc. AND, I voiced your question - what's the point? - verbatim with an expletive added a couple weeks ago to the T. He took notes and then handed them to me. I like that this guy's 100% present during the session and nothing else. Dunno if any of this strikes a chord - it might not since they're my issues - but thot I'd put it out there.

1. Expose the perpetrator
2. Protect other children (which brought me to tears)
3. Expose the institutions
4. Put the issue to rest
5. Medical health/mental health
6. Affect my work (part of me died)
7. Desperate to get back the level/quality of my work

(The work thing is a big one for me. I'm in visual media - always my best outlet anyway - and I'm avoiding a project right now by being on MS). Yeah, I use the Devil's Advocate quote(s) quite a bit ;-)

This probably sounds trivial as hell - I probably sound like a total disconnect - but what works for me lately is the thought I was put here to care for the dozen felines I've had over the course of 25 years. Only one elderly one is left and I lavish all the love on him I've ever had for any of them. Nope. Don't have kids. Don't have a partner. Don't care. I'm not religious. I'm not inclined to go metaphysical on people. But I believe the "litter critters" have spirits and that's where I connect. Probably places me somewhere between Native American and Hindu. It doesn't make me rich, powerful, influential or famous. But it's exactly where I feel I fit and where I'm at peace. <--that kind of honesty isn't easy for me to post publicly

Thank you, Lancer. Pets give you a purpose and offer unconditional love. Glad you have them. It'll be several years before I'm in a financial position to consider any pet (including a goldfish). lol Good list your T gave you.

1. Mine are dead.
2. I'll not go public with my CSA. Got fired twice over it, someone tried to destroy my reputation, it ain't happening again.
3. None really tied to my CSA. But, exposing those abusive shrinks I had would be an awesome idea. There are shrinks out there doing good I hope. My experience has jaded me to the whole bunch. I've wrote politicians and explained they need a lot more regulation--their licenses should have their expertise so consumers know what they are capable of doing. I do think many, even the so-called 'great' ones, are ripoffs.
4. Mine is mostly at rest. Working damn hard on not hating myself. I do think my lack of connecting to anyone hampers it though.
5. Health is almost there. Mental--quiet in my head for first time since the rape.
6/7. I'm getting back to writing. I'll be back soon. And, I'm gonna prostitute my talent for all its worth. Noble efforts and freebies don't pay. Money talks, bullshit walks. You know, you're creative. Best of luck getting back. Hope self-hate isn't the reason you don't. It is in my case. smile

I don't care about fame. I'd rather be unknown and rich and have financial security. Hate to say it, but rich is the only way you get any financial security in today's shitty economy. Thanks again.

What's my purpose? I think all that is happened took the fight out of me. I ain't into going to war with anyone. I've done that before and found it lacking. Think I've paid enough in life. Certainly way more than normal people ever think of doing.

Edited by phoenix321 (09/19/12 06:44 AM)
Edit Reason: add

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#410617 - 09/19/12 11:19 AM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Phoenix,

Writing this note to you now feels like I'm writing to myself from 3 years ago. I was in exactly the same emotional spot and twisted thinking about my life and people as you are now. I was so angry and so judgmental and so distrustful of other people. I could not see that others were reaching out to me with an affirming hand, and instead would see other people trying to attack me whenever they suggested something different than what I thought I knew.

Honestly, I'm humbled to be telling this to you. It confirms for me that the huge changes I've seen in my life are worth it. Because I care about you, and how you're experiencing life. I understand.

Here's my final thought on this topic of "meaning of life", Phoenix;

The anger you have may be part of the wall that keeps you from connecting from other people. All of your writing exhibits a latent RAGE.

Hey, we all have rage coming here. Many of us feel justified in having that rage and anger. We have every reason to.

Here's the thing about anger and rage - it's a wall. It insulates us from further harm. It protects us from people trying to manipulate, use and control us. It's very effective.

Unfortunately, it also pushes people away. Very few people are actually attracted to anger.

I know that you're angry. I suspect you might disqualify this statement and list any number of reasons why you're not angry. Or you may list reasons to justify your anger. Please don't let the anger block the love this site has for you.

You've been here almost a year, dude. What steps have you undertaken to try and change the circumstances of your life? Weren't you at one point dying??! It sounds like that got resolved with the thyroid medication you got. That is something to be thankful for! Celebration! But I haven't seen any acknowledgment from you about how that has been resolved? You're no longer telling everyone you're dying, so that CHANGED? Aren't you the least bit glad that this has changed? Aren't you the least bit proud that YOU stood up for YOURSELF, and YOU were able to see through all that to get the medicine you needed? YOU did that. Haven't heard a peep of gratitude or relief or pride from you.

What else have you done to change the circumstances of your life? I'm glad to hear you're working on not hating yourself anymore. That's MAJOR! You hogtie your efforts to stop hating yourself by basing the success/failure of that by saying you can't connect to people, and trying to make a physiological case for it (lack of oxytocin). You know what? I've done EXACTLY THE SAME RESEARCH, and CAME TO EXACTLY THE SAME CONCLUSIONS. And I now realize that all the self diagnosing I was doing was exactly the same thing you're doing now - DEMANDING ANSWERS.

Well, here's a blunt suggestion for you, dude - Stop dismissing the compassionate efforts that others (including myself) take to help support you and cheer you on and give you pointers along the path of recovery that we're all on. Some of us are further along in recovery than you are, and thus, have more insight (hindsight). And boy are we lucky that they're here sharing their insights with us.

I hope you can find some gratitude for Robert suggesting that you haven't got all the answers (NONE of us do), and to use MaleSurvivors for what its built to do - SUPPORT RECOVERY.

You're very angry. ALL OF US who come here to MaleSurvivors arrive in exactly the same condition - our thoughts running us crazy, angry, thinking, and sometimes saying destructive things.

This whole thread you started has me mystified. You asked "what is the meaning of life?" and when multiple others try to answer with their belief, you dismiss each one so easily and so quickly, and you're quick to agree with those who don't have the answer, or who's words only support your chosen outlook.

Why even ask if your intent is to dismiss everyone who has a different point of view than you?

And this is exactly what Robert said you are doing. You opened this thread under the guise of wanting to know the meaning of life, but your consequent words indicate you're only looking to affirm your rotten thinking and your bad mood.

Trust me when I say that I could have been much sharper with you in my response to this thread. You've contradicted yourself numerous times with your declarative statements about what you "know". Case in point: You said you are making peace, and then conclude with stating you had no idea what peace is. See your 1st post on this very thread - 1st paragraph, and then last paragraph. I'll leave that, at that.

I care about you. I care about how you're tormenting yourself with the obsessive thoughts of trying to fix and resolve things. I care that you're self diagnosing yourself without expertise. I care about how much you're flailing, trying to find sanity and serenity in a seemingly threatening and dangerous world. I care that you feel completely lost and hopeless. I care that you want to give up so bad, but for some reason you're still here fighting. I can relate.

I care about you because I was you 3 years ago. I made the same exact statements you made, and made the same conclusions you made as well. I. Was. Wrong. And that doesn't make me a bad or worth less person for being incorrect.

You've got the power of making choices in your life, and with that power of choice, you have the power to change. There is nothing metaphysical about this statement at all - the Universe (and people) are always in a constant state of change.

You can keep on denying this fact of life and the universe. But as long as you hold onto your unwillingness to take a look at yourself, your thoughts, your beliefs, and your behaviors (these are all things that YOU CAN CHANGE), you're going to remain stuck exactly right where you are, buddy.

With firm and deliberate compassion,

D

Edited by Magellan (09/19/12 02:15 PM)
Edit Reason: edited

#410619 - 09/19/12 11:58 AM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
first off, i don't claim to be "smarter than you" - but i hope you'll still read this.

meaning of life? i have no idea. i come at it from a different angle - value of life.

i have read and reread your posts - a lot has stirred in me - a lot of compassion i thought was dead a LONG time ago. and a lot of partial understanding. my abuse started at 3, but i don't think it was as violent or vile as yours.

but my point is when i read your posts, they connect. i feel there's someone else out there who understands, who knows what it's like to be on that edge. not wanting to jump off or "end it all" just wanting an answer. NEEDING an answer.

and, phoenix - if i may be so bold - the fact that i connect to what you say, that i can read your posts and feel something - ME - actually FEEL SOMETHING - in my life it gives you value. i don't cry man - but my eyes feel the burn at spots reading of your pain. so it's real to me.

SO......... i can't give you the meaning of life. but i can tell you your life has value. at least to me. and i count. that means you do to. screw knowing the "meaning" - live with value for a while and see if it changes anything. it does for me - most days anyhoo...

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#410628 - 09/19/12 01:40 PM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Robert1000 Offline

Good afternoon, Phoenix. One other thing. I know that what happened to you sucked. I know that. I'm not going to try to corner the market on pain and suffering. I'll ask you to do the same. I don't know your pain, and you don't know mine. Don't think you had "greater" pain than anyone here. This isn't the Olympics of pain. And there's no gold medal if you win.... But I know that your pain is real. It's terrible. And you're in the thick of it. I see that. And I feel for you, my brother. I really do.

Use this space to heal. Truly. Use these glimpses into the humanity of others who are in the same predicament as windows into different but similar lives, lives of men who, like you, were violated and abused and hurt and, in some cases, left for dead. But we didn't die. We kept living. And we did that by choice. And we came here by choice. I know you're in pain. And I think I can see that, while you're turning back all the kind words and ideas that people have sent to you, and continue to send, you're still here. You're still looking. You did, after all, start this post with a question that begged an answer.

And let me tell you... if there's a part of you that wants to push me away... and push away the acceptance that I have to offer... if won't work. You can't push it away. You can pull yourself away, but this site has helped me too much already, and I'm done putting up barriers around myself.

Here are my thoughts for you. Here's what I wish for you. Peace. Acceptance. And the conscious choice to go forward, deliberately. Without anger. Let it go. I haven't succeeded with that in my own life, but I've felt the peace that's possible, and I won't stop trying.

Sincerely,
Bob

Edited by Robert1000 (09/19/12 01:42 PM)

#410633 - 09/19/12 02:24 PM Re: Making Peace and a Question for All [Re: phoenix321]
Getting By Offline

Good question Phoenix.

It's different for everyone, but in my experience "to make a difference for better" is as close an answer I have to for a lot of people I've discussed this with.

For altruistic people, that can mean religion, or volunteer work in a developing country, or working with homeless kids or drug addicts, or becoming a better parent, becoming a teacher or making a better type of <cancer drug, computer, chair, mousetrap, ...>

For some it means making a difference for themselves, so making lots of money, buying stuff, picking up trophy partners, collecting rare stamps.

I've met an increasing number of people who take the opinion that there is no "meaning" in that life just *is*. For them, this is not a negative approach: rather "life is what you make of it: nothing more and nothing less"

I'd agree with Magellan: whatever it may be for you, it's within your power to choose.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.