Newest Members
J44, Anura, reynel5, smc1972, Moi
12418 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
3 registered (mogigo, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12418 Members
74 Forums
63762 Topics
445302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#410294 - 09/16/12 01:03 PM Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times)
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
The LA Times investigation:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-boyscouts-20120805-m,0,5822319.story

I don't know about y'all, but it's too damn much to read (triggering) in one sitting. And the link to some of the actual documents is worse. Note that the Keith M. Gardner file is a "vampire" report.

#410297 - 09/16/12 01:27 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: Lancer]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

And the kicker is that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The full, complete "ineligible volunteer list" is currently being scanned and digitized to be put online and searchable by perp name -- should be online in the coming months.

#410298 - 09/16/12 01:32 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
I'm sure one of us will have a link, right? Laying bets on my perp's name.

#410314 - 09/16/12 05:24 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: Lancer]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
No surprise perps would work to circumvent a system that had been set up to keep them out, or that they could often succede in the era before computers and telecommunications made counterring them more possible.

Though flawed, I am glad they made the effort.

The schools and the foster care system back when this started can barely be said to have acknowledged there to be a problem.

For reference, in the local troop where I grew up there was a group of larger boys perping the litler ones. They didn't go after me but some of my johns when I was doing sex work had been abused there.

Edited by MrEdd (09/16/12 05:25 PM)

#410316 - 09/16/12 05:52 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: MrEdd]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm expecting my abuser to show up as a serial abuser.

Puffer

#410328 - 09/16/12 08:14 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: MrEdd]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Originally Posted By: MrEdd
For reference, in the local troop where I grew up there was a group of larger boys perping the litler ones.

that was my story. us younger ones got "initiated" by the older, bigger, more experienced boys. at the time i saw them as huge men - but they were only a few years older than me. meanwhile the adult leaders were nowhere to be seen - off having a few beers or whatever. my parents said they sent me to scouts because it was supposed to "make a man of you" - i don't think it worked that way.

and i'm sure none of the boys' names will ever show up on a Scout list of perps. i doubt it ever got reported. we were too desperate for acceptance.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#410333 - 09/16/12 10:55 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: traveler]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: traveler
Originally Posted By: MrEdd
For reference, in the local troop where I grew up there was a group of larger boys perping the litler ones.

That was my story. us younger ones got "initiated" by the older, bigger, more experienced boys. at the time i saw them as huge men - but they were only a few years older than me. meanwhile the adult leaders were nowhere to be seen - off having a few beers or whatever. my parents said they sent me to scouts because it was supposed to "make a man of you" - i don't think it worked that way.

and i'm sure none of the boys' names will ever show up on a Scout list of perps. i doubt it ever got reported. we were to desperate for acceptance.

lee

This was similar to what went on in my troop. Sometimes there was no adult leadership. Then a perp became the leader. Abuse was rampant. The other scout troop in town was lead by an abuser.

I have noticed several months ago that two of the older boys in my troop were listed as offenders in the same general area.

Puffer

#410334 - 09/16/12 11:10 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: Lancer]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I hope the database goes back to 1959!

John

#410336 - 09/16/12 11:36 PM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: pufferfish]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Originally Posted By: pufferfish

I have noticed several months ago that two of the older boys in my troop were listed as offenders in the same general area.
Puffer

maybe i should check it out - maybe some of the older scouts went on to become leaders and perps themselves. can't help but wonder - if it might have been a tradition that was passed down and how far back it went?
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#410341 - 09/17/12 12:36 AM Re: Boy Scout Files **Triggers** (LA Times) [Re: Lancer]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Reuters reports today that the timeline on the full database going online is "three to four weeks." Mark your calendars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/16/boy-scouts-face-release-o_n_1888838.html

Again, another conflicting report on how far back the files go. Some reports have said 1919, but this report says 1965.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.