Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
5 registered (Austintexan, Bluedogone, don64, Obi, wild_turky), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63215 Topics
442037 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#409825 - 09/11/12 10:31 AM 911 in NYC & Recovery
kb8715 Offline
MaleSurvivor

My son's close friend lost his Dad on 9-11. The boys were 10 that year.

His pal has become a survivor in his own way, and some of the effects familar to us showed in this young man along the way.

But he's a strong man today doing well at a great university.

I've always been real proud of the way my son and his pals supported this guy from the moment 11 years ago today we got the call that his dad was missing @ WTC.

Behind my back this guy, my son, & crew call me the "back-up Dad", and I hate that because I hate the need for someone to step in for his Dad. I hate it a lot. But if being there for him at times helped, it's all good.

But I'm real proud of his pal and often I remind myself that if he can overcome his own terrible loss at the age of 10, so can I.

So even on 9-11 here in NYC I can say that it does get better.

#409827 - 09/11/12 11:30 AM Re: 911 in NYC & Recovery [Re: kb8715]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I hope you can grow to cherish being "back up dad". Many of us never have the opportunity to have our own families (myself included). I envy you!

Cherish this, don't hate it. It's GOOD to be wanted and acknowledged.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.