Newest Members
Matthew8, GreenTurtles, MariaAnna, DesertFrog, DavidM-LT
12776 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (38), illbedat (27), Mike58 (57), Mnovit (39), Mongo (25), pwdasw (65), Raymond Sean (39), yesac76 (39)
Who's Online
3 registered (DavidM-LT, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12776 Members
75 Forums
65820 Topics
460327 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#409629 - 09/09/12 08:04 PM Dizziness and CSA
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Not quite sure how to approach this except to ask.

I'm approaching three months since I started putting the pieces of my CSA together. Alot of you know it's been intense.

I've noticed, too, I've started to have dizzy spells, nearly passing out in the living room when I got up one morning and one spell the other day in the grocery store (mygawd, pet food aisle?).

I thought at first it might be exertion in the hot/humid air-you-wear summer weather, but no other indications of heatstroke and I long ago learned to hydrate, take breaks, etc. No head trauma of which I'm aware. Nor do I have a weight problem. No other warning signs/symptoms of heart attack or diabetes. Balanced diet. Former runner. I am a smoker and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

NOT asking for medical advice. My searches on MS have come up with it related to meds. Paxil's been a constant for me for years (it may change this month). I'd like to know if any of us other guys experienced similar when all this started to hit and what connection, if any, you made.

#409641 - 09/09/12 10:24 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
oh my... yes! but i never thought to mention it.

i get light-headed at odd times - sometimes the reason is more obvious than others. when i am on this site i often start to get dizzy and i realize i am holding my breath - with predictable results. sometimes it feels like a small earthquake or trying to keep my equilibrium on a boat. then i have to remind myself to breathe and it gets better and i regain my balance. i think it is a reaction to "mild" triggers.

several times i have been out in public - at school or at a mall or supermarket or whatever - and feel like i am about to pass out. same thing - i realize i need to breathe and just sit and take it easy and come back to the present and reconnect with my surroundings. maybe something caused a stress reaction that i wasn't even consciously aware of...?

lee
"That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. . . What will your verse be?" Robin Williams as John Keating in "Dead Poets Society"

#409649 - 09/09/12 11:12 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
i know you weren't thinking medical, but i noticed that you didn't mention blood pressure...

i notice that when i get dizzy like that, it's from my bp being out of whack...

which, it's been proven as a medical fact that csa can lead to medical problems such as bp issues, heart problems, stress, stroke, diabetes and so on....

now, i know that my bp problem isn't solely because of csa, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a part of the reason..

my story

my vlog

#409651 - 09/09/12 11:50 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Most of the meds used for PTSD symptoms (and for just about anything else!) can affect the blood pressure--raise it or lower it. Anxiety and sleep disruption (docs tell me) can make the BP unstable. Prolonged elevation of stress hormones (cortisol, adrenaline) can also lead to high BP.

Then, of course, there are the four words we never want to hear from our doctors: "As we get older...."

Peace!

John

#409675 - 09/10/12 09:05 AM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
iambubba Offline

Loc: Canada
I can relate somewhat. I had the same thing happening on and off for years docs thought it was panic attacks which I'm sure some were. Now i've been diagnosed with epilepsy. My seizures most of the time are partial in nature meaning I don't lose awareness just get these really weird feelings(hard to describe them)but sometimes feeling like what you describe.
Interesting fact I came across was that CSA can change the development of your brain and specifically scar your hippocampus.
My MRI shows huge scarring on both sides...MY neurologist couldn't find any reason why...since we've discussed my history and he says the trauma could of left me with epilepsy.

#409724 - 09/10/12 02:23 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 08:37 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#409728 - 09/10/12 02:43 PM * [Re: Lancer]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:07 PM)

#409729 - 09/10/12 02:53 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Thanks guys. I don't want to minimize - could be something more serious and I've gone thru everything but the bp - but traveler hit on something I learned a long time ago about ACoA issues I'd forgotten. Realizing I'd been unconsciously holding my breath was a surprise at that time and a surprise again. "Predictable results" - I like that one. *thump*

It's weird, but I noticed my body's usual response was to exhale when this happens. Well. That'll take me down fast, huh? If I inhale, it passes quickly.

Haven't had bdgd's experience, but I really, really like your approach to the "boy inside".

Yeah bubba, I wish I could get the MRI, if only as physical proof. I read many of the same articles on changs to the brain in CSA survivors. I was pretty shocked.

#409735 - 09/10/12 03:34 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
@80's boy, As a visually impared person I can probably offer an opinion on humiliation vs carrying a cane. There are various blind people who reffuse to carry one "because it makes me look blind" and then proceed to fall down a flight of stairs, walk into an obstacle or do something similarly embarrassing and painfull.

I always maintained myself that my cane existed as a tool, to stop me making stupid mistakes. Not carrying one would have bugger all affect on people's opinions, sinse A, people would probably notice anyway from my lack of making eyecontact etc, (though I don't wear dark glasses or similar), and B, more importantly, bugger! opinions, I'm not bruising my ancles, stubbing my toes etc for anyone!

So, if you need to walk with a cane, then do it for yourself, not for strangers. why feel humiliated that you don't want to injur yourself?

heck, if I myself needed to use a walking cane, I'd get one of those really stylish ebony ones with a silver ttop, (I have actually carried one of these before when wearing full victorian evening dress on stage), ---- or maybe a long, gnarled wooden staff like a druid! laugh.

btw, I no longer use my cane, but that's because I have reever instead who is far better company, and means I have to concentrate far less on navigation.

as regards dizzyness, some of the worst experiences I've had during recovery have been with what I have come to think of as fuguing.

This is when quite suddenly my mind would plunge me into a sea of different sensations, colours, sounds, smells, snatches of ideas or thoughts that I could do nothing about, yet I'd be at the center of them continuously experiencing everything and anything. None of these impressions were coherent enough to be dellusions or dreams, just fragments and peaces of nothing. Indeed, none of the sensations were intrinsically unpleasant, just utterly chaotic.

I always associated this with when I was feeling the worst about myself, the most gnum, the most lethargic, almost as if I'd gone so dull something inside me had shattered, or maybe I'd moved through the dull, gnum, grey depression to something energetic and vital that was inside.

I'd have no control over when these fugues would happen, indeed the first I remember having I was just walking back from lunch to my room in colidge. They've happened when I've been alone and when with others, at night, in the day time, on trains or in the bath with no pattern or trigger.

During fugues I found it nearly impossible to concentrate on anything! I'd need to work extremely hard to just say hello to someone or open a door. The point however is that one of the major effects is that I'd become so dizzy I literally would have trouble standing upright, indeed when the first one hit I remember having to literally stagger back to my room leaning on the wall all the way, and actually falling when I was trying to unlock my door.

I found the best way to deal with a fugue was simply to lie down flat, cut out as much as I can and read a long list of pure facts, prices or information (historical time lines or price lists were great for this, as were wikipedia articals). This would make me feel grounded, give me something that i didnt' have to work at, to try to solve or complete, but which was utterly inconsequencial or emotionless.

It was similar to my use of logic games and spcail puzzles, but at the stage I got to fuguing I couldn't concentrate on anything that required actual action, I just needed something that would exist as a stable, emotionless structure that I could cling to which demanded nothing!

Thankfully, over time as I did more recovery, I fugued less, indeed I don't believe now I've fugued for over a year, but when they were happening they were truly terrifying, particularly with how easily i could suddenly lose even my basic ability to stand upright.

So, if anyone else has dizzy spells that they think could be related to having fugues, the good news is it does get better.

#409739 - 09/10/12 04:21 PM Re: Dizziness and CSA [Re: Lancer]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
I get dizzy spells sometimes. It is probably from the couple of concussions I have had from high school football or a car wreck.. Maybe HBP or lack of the right amount of sleep. Can PTSD have some effect on dizziness ?? Y'all might be on to something here.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.