Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441809 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#409479 - 09/08/12 06:20 AM Colonoscopy Experience
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
I had my first colonoscopy yesterday, and wanted to share my experience as it is a potentially life-saving procedure for us "older guys" 50+.

I had my reservations. I put it off for a year (my dr told me to get it scheduled last summer when I turned 50). I have a friend from another forum who is a stage 3 rectal cancer survivor. His experience was enough to convince me to not put it off.

They gave me a warm blanket. And once in the procedure room the doctor talked to me, and the two nurses made me very comfortable. They were very nice. The one nurse said okay, I'm going to give you the sedative now (via the IV). I saw her inject it and wondered why I did not feel anything....

... and then I blinked my eyes and.... I was in a different room with my wife next to me. It was 30 minutes later... I felt FINE. No pain or discomfort during (huh? did they really do it?) or after. My wife said they removed a few small polyps but they are likely benign, and will get the results in five days to be sure and then talk about when to schedule the next one.

I felt tired the rest of the day (effects of the sedation) and had a restful day off work (been a LONG time for that).

By far the worse part was drinking the laxative the evening before....

Jimmy

My Story

#409496 - 09/08/12 10:42 AM Re: Colonoscopy Experience [Re: Jim1961]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
thanks, Jimmy - you may have saved someone's life by sharing that.

i had one a couple years ago. the worst part for me was the anticipation. lots of anxiety - all unfounded as far as the procedure went. just lots of stuff in my head. i can do that again now that i have been through it and know.

lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#409544 - 09/08/12 08:37 PM Re: Colonoscopy Experience [Re: Jim1961]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks for sharing this info
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.