Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (JW1230), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445822 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#409196 - 09/06/12 10:17 AM Hello and Introduction
DavidMI Offline

Loc: MI
I've been lurking on these forums for about a year now and finally decided I should register. I'm looking for common support and I'm quite isolated in the area that I live so it's rather difficult to find support when I need it outside of my immediate family.

I was sexually abused while attending a private boarding school between the ages of 12 and 13 and it's taken me the better part of 25 years to really come to terms with that and start dealing with it. I've been in therapy now for about 6 months and while I'm getting needed support from my therapist and a few very close friends, I still have days when all of this is overwhelming to me. Being a male survivor is particularly hard due to our general society being unable to acknowledge that sexual abuse happens to boys and men too. It seems to be out there but nobody really wants to talk about it.

I appreciate on-line friends and have very few reservations talking openly about pretty much anything. I'm gay and have struggled with that identity most of my life due to my abuse. I'm not religious and I am not seeking to be converted but I am always respectful of differing viewpoints in that area. I've taken different steps towards resolution that have not included pursuing my abuser or the institution where the abuse occurred and I sometimes have conflicting emotions as to how I've chosen to resolve things. Emotional roller coaster is somewhat of an understatement.

I've very easy to talk to, I listen well, and I'm old enough to know that I might be able to offer advice or support. I also enjoy using commas and run-on sentences.

Thanks for listening, I'll crawl back under my rock now for a little while and lurk.

#409202 - 09/06/12 10:48 AM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
David -

***I also enjoy using commas and run-on sentences.***

three of my biggest vices are lack of capital letters, over-use of dashes, and avoiding 1st person pronouns. we should get on well!
and about that "emotional roller-coaster"... we have a whole amusement park here so you should feel right at home.

seriously - welcome as a participant. hope you'll keep posting and not just lurking - if you have something to say. and from the sound of your intro, you sound like a very perceptive and articulate guy. and - hope you find the kind of support and understanding here that you are looking for. the community here has helped me more than anything else in my life.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#409205 - 09/06/12 10:56 AM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Welcome David, sorry we met like this but welcome and come on in and take a load off.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#409275 - 09/06/12 09:00 PM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
kcinohio Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Hi DavidMI, Thanks for your introduction and welcome to MS. Hope you find the support you're looking for.

Having conflicting emotions over how we choose to resolve things seems to go witht he territory. I can relate to that.

#409306 - 09/06/12 10:20 PM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
[quote=DavidMI]it's taken me the better part of 25 years to really come to terms with that and start dealing with it. quote]

Welcome David. It took me 42 years to work up the courage to deal with my abuse. You are in good company. let the healing begin.
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine.
Sheryl Crow

#409333 - 09/07/12 01:08 AM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
ANDREW63 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi David WELCOME to Male Survivor , I am pleased that you have found us all here .It took me 40 years to finally disclose my childhood abuse at the hands of my Grandfather ,i have been seeing a therapist for just over a year and it has helped me to talk about my abuse that went on from the age of 8 until i was 11 .I am more than happy to talk to you Mate .Please excuse my lack of commas etc: cheers Andrew .

#409344 - 09/07/12 03:13 AM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi David,

Welcome to MS.

I am glad you have found this place of healing and support.

With over 10,000 members here at MS, you will never be alone or isolated again. Though we have different stories, we have much more in common than we have differences. It is not necessary to "pursue" either one's abuser(s) or institution(s) in which the abuse(s) took place in order to heal. Each of us must choose the path that is best for ourselves.

As for the rollercoaster - this journey we call healing is the wildest ride you will ever experience. Please keep hands and feet in the car and buckle your seat belt.

Take your time and look around. You do not want to trigger yourself by reading too many posts at one time.

At your own pace, read the boards and wander into chat. The lounge (chat) is open 24 hours a day though it isn't always populated.

We also have moderated chats called Healing Circles. They meet on Sunday and Wednesday evenings at 9pm eastern time and one on Tuesday at 19:00 UTC (European and African time zone) which translates to 2 PM Eastern US time zone. The Healing Circle on Tuesdays is scheduled to resume in September.

Again, welcome to MS.

Anomalous

#409395 - 09/07/12 02:58 PM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 08:33 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#409405 - 09/07/12 03:54 PM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
Metolius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
Hi David.

Welcome!

I'm gay, and one of my abusers was a priest at a boarding school I attended throughout my high school years. It took me 35 years to get around to dealing with that abuse. I chose to litigate over that abuse and reached a settlement that I thought was fair and just. However, it too was an emotional roller coaster. From my vantage point, being on the emotional roller coaster is part of the process of recovery. So don't kick yourself too hard for choices you've made; and don't rule out any choices at present for fear of the roller coaster.

I'm glad you're reaching out and hope you can find a community of affirmation and support here at Male Survivor. The weekends of recovery have been a great resource for my recovery at present, and there's lots of connections to be made here in the online community.

Take care of yourself.

Jim

#409412 - 09/07/12 04:30 PM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Welcome David. Glad to have you aboard - I don't think any of us really WANT to be here - but it's amazing support. Very glad to hear you have the T and friends who support you.

Speaking from my own experiences in the past week, MS fills in the gaps when the T or friends aren't enuf. The guys keep me grounded and let me be a complete mess when I need to be a complete mess (think Bette Davis "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" - THAT'S a mess)...without trying to "fix" me. These are guys who understand the process first-hand.

I like options, too. I've made considerable use of both public boards and PMs since the legal side can be a bit touchy in my current situation.

Speaking as a gay man, one thing I've also found remarkable is that the bonding here is without regard to sexual orientation. It just doesn't matter. What's more important is that these guys have been/are my brothers as they would be in my family.

I came from a home of physical, verbal and emotional abuse. The CSA was my high school guidance counselor to whom I'd been referred when I was desperate for someone, anyone, to help me. He was also staff at a church camp where I worked. The institutions turned a blind eye to what he was doing with me...and apparently others.

But, unlike 40 years ago, this time I'm not alone.

#411197 - 09/24/12 12:19 AM Re: Hello and Introduction [Re: DavidMI]
tjp42588 Offline

Loc: Detroit MI
That last part made me laugh, and can I tell you....I have not laughed in what seems like a long time. Like you, I enjoy commas and also the use of the dot dot dot??? Do not know what its called but it is simlar to what I used in the first sentence ha ha. I am from Michigan as well, and I am just recently have a very hard time with my abuse. I hav lived just fine for the past 15 years, other then the opiate addiction, which I have beat for going on 1.5 years....yay for me smile

I am having a hard time with knowing if I am gay or not. I have a wife and 2 beautiful daughters, but my abuse lasted a long time and to be honest....in a sick way, I was aroused during a lot of it. This has confused me for so long. Is it abuse if I got any stimulation from it? I dont know. Well I hope you find what you are looking for and I hope maybe we can both get past our issues. If you ever want to chat, messege me...I have not figured out how to use the PM but I am sure I will once I get one. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.