Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (Tanis2105), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#408995 - 09/05/12 02:56 AM Stuff from therapy
Yerac Offline

Loc: Southern CA

#409025 - 09/05/12 10:05 AM Re: Stuff from therapy [Re: Yerac]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
Yerac -

sounds familiar. i used to not be able to say what i wanted or what kind of touch felt good. the first time my T told me i needed to identify and state those likes and dislikes - i was nearly speechless. i had been so conditioned to think that i was not entitled to an opinion and that my wishes and preferences were so completely irrelevant and worthless that i could not answer.

and then the whole issue of touch feeling "good" - that was such a foreign concept that it was almost nonsensical. the only touch that i was OK with was my own.

fast forward: today at my session i was able to say that the tactile sense of feeling and my emotional awareness of feelings are starting to coincide. it's like the 2 lenses of binoculars coming into focus. we've been working on that. i no longer flinch or pull away when my wife touches me and i can hug with her and actually not just tolerate - but even enjoy it.

and yes - there was a temporary heightened sensitivity to touch and accompanying anxiety when i started therapy and was becoming aware of the issues and where they had originated. it has been getting better.

be patient and stick it out. it is much better after you get through it.

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#409113 - 09/05/12 06:22 PM Re: Stuff from therapy [Re: Yerac]
Yerac Offline

Loc: Southern CA

#409115 - 09/05/12 06:30 PM Re: Stuff from therapy [Re: Yerac]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
I understand what u mean also about not being in touch with your senses an not knowing what to like or dislike. Hits home
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#409138 - 09/05/12 09:15 PM Re: Stuff from therapy [Re: Yerac]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Yerac:

What he was doing was probably legit. However, it triggered something for you that he should know about. Read "A Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping" and review the session you had. He may be a good therapist or he might be someone who you should run from, but at least you can give him a chance to respond to the discomfort you felt and talk about it. If he doesn't want to discuss it, then maybe he's not the right therapist.

Read the article and make your own decision as to going back.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.