Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
2 registered (aniceguy, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447714 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#407795 - 08/24/12 10:51 AM Tarot, Occult, Esoteric stuff?
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey survivors,

I was raised Catholic, and have remained Catholic although my church attendance could best be described as spotty, but ever since middle school I've always been attracted to occult and hidden spiritual and mystical traditions.

I wonder if the abuse helped me "break through" the standard teachings of Christianity to see the hidden stuff underneath -- much as the abuse opens one's eyes to what happens to seemingly normal people behind closed doors.

That said, I wonder if other abuse survivors feel connected to a spirituality that the normals would consider to be occult?

I have recently purchased a Tarot deck, and it appears to be speaking to me.

Anyone else?

#407797 - 08/24/12 11:00 AM Re: Tarot, Occult, Esoteric stuff? [Re: cant_remember]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have never not will ever do the tarot card thing. I don't think anything can tell someone their future. It is all interpretation anyway I think isn't it?
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#407798 - 08/24/12 11:30 AM Re: Tarot, Occult, Esoteric stuff? [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Granted, it's a little frightening to wade out away from Christian symbolism into Tarot symbolism, which incorporates some church symbols but also includes pagan symbols from different sources (pentangles being the most obvious).

Tarot, it would appear to me, is simply a tool for self-examination. Each card tells a story or signifies a part of one's inner or outer life.

I'm taking one tarot card a day as a personal reflective tool. Tuesday, for instance, was the King of Cups, inverted, which means I dealt it upside-down.

Now, the suit of cups represents water, which represents emotion and the subconscious. The King of Cups, therefore, is he who has a mastery of his emotions. Take that card and invert it, and it signifies powerful emotional disturbance -- or the effects of CSA on the male psyche.

So does it tell the future? No, not really. But does it help explain the present? It seems like it sure can.

#413795 - 10/21/12 07:00 AM Re: Tarot, Occult, Esoteric stuff? [Re: cant_remember]
Aptrick Offline

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
I think the symbolism of the tarot from any deck could be useful to help anyone to explore their own inner minds. It is all about questioning what the person viewing sees the symbols to mean for themselves. We all have this false idea that everything should equate to the same standards visually around us, but so many things have many different inner translations due to each individuals tastes, preferences, etc. BUT taking the tarot or an other established set of defined symbols, can allow you to know the interpretation of that card or symbol and then dig deep inside to find inner meaning for your own personal tranlation and/ or connection to the object in question.
Wow, sorry if that sounds double-speakish or jibberish. I guess what I am trying to say -simply- is that focusing on that understood object (a Tarot card) and it's 'meaning', one could turn their inner processing into searching mentally for some relatable memory, fear, belief. Something one might not ponder over accidentally.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.