Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
4 registered (mike1965, 3 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63109 Topics
441332 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#406256 - 08/09/12 12:31 AM "Disturbing" stories about locker rooms
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
well, duh! i could have told them this:

Research shows why boys avoid gym class
By Josh Dehaas | June 20th, 2011 | 9:20 am

"Disturbing" stories about locker room environment

Many boys avoid physical education in high school because locker room taunting causes them body image problems, says a researcher from the University of Western Ontario, who calls their stories “disturbing.”
“Boys who have more valued bodies — leaner, stronger, more valorized bodies — are routinely monitoring the heavier or skinnier boys’ bodies and harassing them, making comments about them in the locker room, making a game of throwing things at them, slapping them, talking about their bodies at them and around them,” researcher Michael Kehler told an international symposium on male body image in Ottawa last week, reports The Londoner.
Kehler’s new research shows that as a result of such teasing, many boys avoid the locker room by staying dressed in gym clothes all day, by changing in a washrooms, by being purposefully late for class or by choosing to skip gym class altogether.
“The stories these young men are telling us in our research are disturbing, unsettling,” Kehler says. ”For many of these boys, it’s not that they don’t want to be healthy and active, it’s that they don’t want to participate in the kind of posturing and ‘boyness’ that’s allowed to manifest itself in the locker room,” Kehler says. “If they could go in there and just feel welcome and participate without being denigrated or berated, they would be able to develop healthy life practices.”
Kehler says governments should integrate body image discussions into physical education.

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2011/06/20/research-shows-why-boys-avoid-gym-class/
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#406257 - 08/09/12 12:41 AM Re: "Disturbing" stories about locker rooms [Re: traveler]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Anyone who would need to ask for and/or spend $200,000 on such a study was one of the "valued," and had not one clue as to what was real for the "other-type" of boy.

If I could not have dissed-out, I never would have stayed on this planet through school.

Still's Globs

New Video

#407239 - 08/19/12 05:40 PM Re: "Disturbing" stories about locker rooms [Re: traveler]
jls Offline

Starting in elementary school and during high school I was always very afraid to change in front of other boys. In fact I never did so and chose to change in a washroom stall instead. Therefore I can't say it was because of bullying of the sort described in the article since I avoided the locker room at all costs. Looking at it now I suppose I was just naturally shy about my body is all, which could have been made worse if I was subject to comments and taunts, so perhaps my shyness saved me from all that.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.