Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (Austintexan, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#406111 - 08/07/12 02:17 PM Cannabis for PTSD
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I self-medicate with marijuana. I find it helps the anxiety and the nightmares. Now I found this medical research study that says much the same thing.

Does anyone else do this?

Mitigation of post-traumatic stress symptoms by Cannabis resin: A review of the clinical and neurobiological evidence

"...Cannabis may dampen the strength or emotional impact of traumatic memories through synergistic mechanisms that might make it easier for people with PTSD to rest or sleep and to feel less anxious and less involved with flashback memories... Evidence is increasingly accumulating that cannabinoids might play a role in fear extinction and antidepressive effects."

Full link to abstract here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22736575

#406138 - 08/07/12 07:43 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
Hey Can't Remember;
Shorly after what happened in 1977 I started smoking MJ beyond recreational.
I never got in trouble or paid street price. I never shared either it is my medicine. I grind up the whole pland minus the stalks. looks lie green tobbaco.
I never pay for it here in Hawaii since other Vets I know take it for PTSD also and it is given to me for free.
I heve told the VA doctors who said I have a drug/alcohol problem..No, I have a medication problem...you don't like my medicine and I don't like yours.
Then I ask if they have ever built up a tolerance to 1,600 mg. of Seroquel and 1,200 mg. Depekote in a 24 hour period.
I take MJ as needed not to get high..I take ot to keep a level of THC in my body/mind to prevent PTSD related issues and conditions events. I can addminister the exact dose needed during PTSD events and provide instant relief.
I injest MJ daily for body memories and physical psychosomatic maintenence. I ingest in the morning via a half muffin and the second half in the eve. I sleep without constant insomnia and waking with night terrors. Eating MJ is great for my gut also and I smoke less.
I use one Jiffy® brand corn bread muffin mix
one egg
1/3 cup milk
One bananna
One peach, without skin
add extra 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup corn meal to compensate for fresh fruit
Mix all ingredients
I add 6 to 10 grams MJ depending...
Makes 10 muffins, I use cupcake papers with a cupcake/muffin pan.

And I never show house visiters my "medicine cabinet"...only drug users do that. Nor have I ever sold MJ.
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#406139 - 08/07/12 07:44 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
this is a good question. I have done this in the past, although at the time we didn't use such clinical terminology. I think the phrases we used at the time were "loadie" and "pot-head." I self-medicated for depression with cannabis for a good twenty years and at the time it did prevent anxiety, mediated my moods, tempered my anger and it also became a lifestyle that was out of control. Cannabis mitigated these symptoms for me short-term but it did not eliminate them. So when I stopped using cannabis I was just as angry, confused, and depressed as I was before. Perhaps more so. I don't regret those days but the medicating that I did in the short term seemed to keep me from addressing my own larger issues in the long term. But that's just me... I've always been out of balance.
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#406148 - 08/07/12 08:47 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Men of Hrts, Great recipe. I might try that soon.

Scotty, how did you transition off pot? Did you go cold-turkey or onto one of the mainstream meds?

I'm open to the idea that, at 35, it's time for me to put pot behind me, but the idea of taking an anti-depressant that makes my dreams worse is scary for me, especially when the marijuana does such a good job keeping the dream activity in line.

#406157 - 08/07/12 09:25 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
scottyg Offline

Well, I didn't transition so much. I transferred to booze... Alcohol is more of a destructive drug and I liked that, being highly self-destructive at the time. With MJ one must have connections and 40 to 50 bucks to drop on a bag. Or friends to go in with. As a homeless vagrant roaming state to state booze was just so much easier. So I got worse before I got better because I pretty much turned into a raving drunk. After getting away from herb I sorta lost the urge to smoke anymore. I started kind of young maybe 14 or 15 and I've noticed that sometimes people get into it and then get out of it. I think I had a psychological addiction for awhile back in the 90's. But my life has changed in so many ways its like that wasn't my life... I saw that in a movie that I barely remember.

Today I'm a husband and a dad and I have too much to do to smoke MJ. Even if I just did it at night I'd wake up baked and it would take at least half the next day for me to think straight again. I have a hard enough time functioning as is. I can't cloud my thinking with herb... it makes me mellow and likeable and my wife likes me stoned but I become a real vegatable. I've always marveled at people who're functional users. My sister-in-law has a Stoli & coke for breakfast every day (she's not a coffe drinker -her words) and then she goes to work as the bookkeepper for her family business. I cannnot do that. So I have to stay away from drugs and stoli for breakfast just so I can function on a basic level. But I am also happy now. Unlike her, I don't feel the need to get blotto. It's not an issue for me. The thought of using never fully goes away. I'll think... Hmmn I've got a nice big bottle right in the cupboard maybe I should spike my coffee? But I never do because I also remember I've got too much going on in my life and if I start down that road I can't handle it.

There was a time seven years ago that I got super depressed and I did see a shrink to get some pharmaceuticals. They helped me to get out of my mental hole. It was short-term and like you I'm not into meds. But I have an advantage which is I seldom remember any dreams. My wife says she'll kick or shake me because I scream and wimper and cry out in my sleep. It's the only way she can get me to stop. But I've asked her lately if I still do it and she says not nearly as much as I used to back when. (Back when I was boozing and not seeking any therapy and in denial and self-destructive). I think Puffer had a dream related realization in this post. So, it can happen for some of us. The nightmares do stop over time.

-Scott

PS: You know, reading over this I'm shocked at how mature I sound. I hardly remember the days I'm talking about in this post but in many ways I still feel like that guy inside.

Edited by scottyg (08/07/12 09:43 PM)
Edit Reason: P.S.

#406166 - 08/07/12 10:18 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Scott,

It's nice to meet you. I like Puffer a lot, too. I read that post about the shift in his dream life, and it did make me hopeful.

My drinking intake is moderate and healthy.

I'm working on starting a new phase in my life, just not sure if pot is going to be a part of it or not.

#406200 - 08/08/12 11:58 AM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
scottyg Offline

well, thanks CR it's nice to share with you. I feel a little funny hearing "nice to meet you" after outlining a lifetime of personal failures. And that's my point with this reply.

I made these mistakes myself. I don't blame the way life turned out for me on my drug use or alcohol abuse. As a matter of fact I still have a beer on a hot day after mowing the lawn. I have nothing against cannabis and if I need it again one day I'll take it.

So, for you I'd suggest an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. Sounds like you're a relatively balanced person and cannabis is serving an important function in your life. As you go deeper into this new phase of life maybe you reduce the frequency that you take it just to see how you do. I think it's great that you're questioning yourself on this topic. But I'm not sure if it's time to make a sudden change unless you feel like your cannabis intake is holding you back from other opportunities in life.

-scottyg

#419061 - 12/13/12 08:34 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
panda Offline

Loc: Michigan
in some states you can get a medical marijuana card if you have a ptsd diagnosis.

#419692 - 12/20/12 08:02 PM Re: Cannabis for PTSD [Re: cant_remember]
Malcolm Offline

I started taking illegal drugs as a young child of 3 and have continued doing so to this day .

Now I am 40 years old , and have taken marijuana for 35 years , and I have smoked it chronically for about 30 years .

People say that pot causes brain rot . I wonder what effect this life long marijuana use has had on my intellectual ability .

I never researched the medical properties of marijuana , and although it relieves my anxiety , I don't take marijuana for medical reasons .

I live in BC , Canada where there is a lot of marijuana produced .

I figure , if you are going to use marijuana for a medical purpose , you'd be best off to get some good stuff , but I don't really see it as being a medical sort of thing in most cases .

Try getting a prescription for a six pack of beer to be drunk three times daily for medical reasons .

That's what they did with an alcoholic friend of mine . They gave him rum in the hospital , because going without booze was bad for his well being and health while at the hospital .

Medical marijuana ?

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.