Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (petercorbett, 86, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#406053 - 08/06/12 10:49 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think it's good that this is getting drawn out, too, but probably for different reasons.

I agree that this is the consequence of accepting such harsh sanctions outside of normal protocol, but the PSU BOT and the Penn State community at large will one day wish they took the deal on the table.

What this also might do (although not sure how) is keep the story alive about what exactly was going on at Second Mile.

By keeping this story alive by fighting the sanctions, eventually in federal court, Penn State is going to take this thing way too far.

It can do nothing but good for the survivor community for this story to stay in the news cycle for as long as possible.

Edited by cant_remember (08/06/12 10:49 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#406057 - 08/06/12 11:48 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
The more they draw this out, we all know this is not all there is to this story, the more they are going to bring to light. People who suffered at the hands of this crowd will grow increasingly sick of the excuses, minimizing and rationalizations.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#406119 - 08/07/12 03:35 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
Jim1104 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What bugs me about the sanctions, etc. is what effect, if any, they might have on the innocent kids at the University and, more particularly, the kid's playing football.

I would hope that those who played and won the games are not really penalized by the wins being vacated.

As to the record books not reflecting that Joe Paterno was the winningest coach in history? I could care less. The fact is, his teams won the games and, it does not make a difference what the record books say. I understand this is meaningful to some people, but if the only price he has to pay, and it is posthumus anyway, then he has gotten off extremely cheaply compared to the kid's whose lives he could have saved.

As to the effect on Penn State, well, I know the revenues will go down and the athletic program will suffer. I am sorry this is so because of the athletes it may effect, but I don't grieve so much for the leadership.

A few facts from the June 2011 Penn State Financial statements:

Net worth (assets less liabilities) $5.7 billion.
Net income, before any investmen income 343 million.
Cash at end of year 1.6 billion.
Unrestricted endowment investments 472 million.

I think they can afford the $60 million penalty.

Bottom line, I don't know what all the Free report said, and I don't really care. Ultimately, the NCAA needs to act responsibly and within whatever rules guide it and Penn State needs to do the same. The guilty should accept their responsibilities and atone to the extent they can. The fallout to the innocent kids should be minimized.

Ok, sorry to rant.

Jim

#406167 - 08/07/12 10:31 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
The MEN who are CHOOSING to play football at Penn State are doing so with full knowledge of the sanctions and the opportunity to play at another school without penalty. As to the players losing victories, how many of them, as Lavar Arrington acknowledged, were used as rewards for sexual favors or silence? The prevention of this is that every college player that sees a coach or program official playing grab-*** with the ball boys will be more likely to say something if they know their wins are in jeopardy.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#406198 - 08/08/12 10:54 AM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Sandusky's use of the team's record as an incentive to come to games does not diminish the effort put forth by the team to EARN those wins. One is mutually exclusive from the other.

Do remember that things WERE said. McQueary said something. Paterno said something. The TEAMS still lost those wins.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#406207 - 08/08/12 01:14 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
I agree with the contributors who're happy about the Paterno family and the Trustees defiant appeals. It does keep the spectre of this ugly story hanging around a little longer. It illustrates the insane lengths persons and institutions will go to in order to diminish and deny, even in the face of overwhelming evidence and a criminal conviction. And perhaps it opens Penn State to a whole new round of possible penalties? As I understand it, part of the NCAA agreement with Erickson was for PSU to take their lumps and not complain or else suffer an even harsher rebuke -the death penalty. Looks like the B.o.T. won't take their lumps and the board members who spent 14 years looking the other way are suddenly very involved in issuing their self-serving complaints. It's just amazing how interested and involved folks become when tens of millions of $$$ are at stake. So this a violation of the penalty agreement Erickson signed. Even if the court sided with the Board in ruling Erickson had no authority to accept, the Board is playing with fire. The NCAA could full well come back and decree the death penalty that Erickson worked to keep at bay. How would that suit the board?

I can't see the court siding with the Board, though. This looks more like an out of touch Board trying to save face within a very cloistered community. I sincerely hope that when the court rules on this case it will also take the opportunity to formally and publicly condemn the board for its frivolous lawsuit, it's failures at oversight and it's defiant refusal to refresh it's own leadership with a more competant membership.
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#406213 - 08/08/12 02:30 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
have to wonder what paterno, mcqueary, shultz, curley and spanier said, after 2001 when they saw him around campus...

"oh hey, jerry!!"
" glad that you have an office just down the hall from mine."
"nice to see you bringing over soooo many disadvantaged boys here to see the campus, football stadium, lockerroom and showers."
" yeah, jerry, we know you put it to some kid in the shower, but it's great to see you here."
"here, jerry, take some tickets to give to some of them boys you bring over here. let them enjoy the game."

yup, they all said something before... makes ya wonder what else they had to say later... *shakes head*....

my story

my vlog

#406219 - 08/08/12 04:28 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: LN3(SS)]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: LN3(SS)
Sandusky's use of the team's record as an incentive to come to games does not diminish the effort put forth by the team to EARN those wins. One is mutually exclusive from the other.

Do remember that things WERE said. McQueary said something. Paterno said something. The TEAMS still lost those wins.

Brian

Try to do one thing in your mind.

I know this will be very difficult for you, you have made this clear. It may prove to be impossible...

Embrace the reality that football is just an afternoon or evening's entertainment.

It isn't anything more than that.
It never has been.
It never can be.

It is, in every way, equivelent to a good game of scrabble.
Or a play in some community theater.
watching a football game, or playing in one is like...reading or drawing a comic book. Nothing more.

Period.

It has no more import, and is worth zero more consideration than any of those other activities.

Ridiculous money spent by self indulgent fans does not and never can give it one iota more importance.

The rape of children, on the other hand is life or death.

If you have some fetish for football, perhaps ESPN has forums better suited to indulging it.

The students, alumni, and players have lost... The equivelent of a few month's issues of Spiderman.
Thats it.
Nothing more.
They will get over it, no matter how many of them there are.

Edited by MrEdd (08/08/12 08:40 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#406230 - 08/08/12 08:25 PM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: LN3(SS)]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: LN3(SS)

Brian

I Piss on NCAA football. I piss on the players. I piss on Penn State. I'll sht on Paterno's grave when i find it. I HOPE the prisoners will grind Sandusky-mush into the concrete!

I would have paid $1000 cash to piss on Paterno's statue when they tore it down. $5000 to sht on it...$5000 more to hammer at it with a sledge for 10 minutes.

I'm SO SO glad the idiot public has seen what's under the covers the best NCAA Div PoofBall Team!!!

Anyone who can mourn the passing of this team, its accomplishments, or even its shadow has no freaking idea what's up in this life.

Burn in HELL Paterno!
Burn in HELL Sandusky!
Burn in HELL Mcqeary!
Burn in HELL Penn State Board!

I would be fully disgusted if I or anyone I knew still elected to play for that Satanic team.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#406290 - 08/09/12 10:16 AM Re: Paterno's Family Is At It AGAIN [Re: tshodson]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Former players are also appealing the sanctions. I couldn't agree with this article more.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-ncaa-sanctions

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.