Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
3 registered (genedebs, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63212 Topics
442011 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#398003 - 05/22/12 02:00 AM Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again)
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
San Diego News:

I-Team Uncovers Boy Scouts Of America's 'Secret Files'

Investigation Reveals Organization Has List That Documents Alleged Sex Abuse Within

http://www.10news.com/news/31094500/detail.html

Originally Posted By: San Diego 10News.com

This is the first time a media organization has gained access to the files pertaining to San Diego. The files, which the Boy Scouts of America call "the ineligible volunteer list," often document alleged sexual abuse within scouting.

"He molested me every week of every month," former scout Matt Stewart said.

Stewart said he was molested by his scout leader from the time he was seven until he turned 18.

"I'll never forget his bright lights shining from his car through the window and he would knock on the door," Stewart said. "He would molest me in the basement of my parents' house while my parents were upstairs."

One example comes from Brooklyn, N.Y., and details how a scout was "molested and killed.

One incident allegedly occurred at the Lost Valley Scout Camp East of Escondido at the hands of a scout leader named Richard Turley.

In 1975, Turley made headlines when he stole a plane in Fallbrook, kidnapping an 11-year-old scout. He was arrested and the boy returned safely to his family. Turley spent the next year and a half at Patton State Mental Hospital, where the state classified him as a "mentally disordered sex offender."

Turely resurfaced in scouting, in San Diego County, volunteering at the Lost Valley Scout Camp.

Secret files dating back to 1947. (Pufferfish was molested in 1951)

LA Times Story:
http://www.latimes.com/la-me-scouts-molest-story,0,207035.htmlstory

Canada Story:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/thelostboys/

#398390 - 05/25/12 08:31 AM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Puffer,

From what I can tell, nobody was reporting childhood rape 60 years ago. Not the Catholics, or Protestants, or Scouts, or schools.

I'd say, expectations and social roles were too rigid then, so people didn't speak up.

It's better, in that regard, now.

D.

#398406 - 05/25/12 05:15 PM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: Disappointed]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

#400464 - 06/14/12 11:13 PM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

More news on release of files:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/06/oregon_supreme_court_orders_re.html

Originally Posted By: The Oregonian

The Oregon Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a lower court's decision to make public 1,247 Boy Scout sex abuse files that a Portland jury got to see during trial.

Originally Posted By: The Oregonian

The Oregonian, The Associated Press, The New York Times and other news organizations sued for the release of the files that were key pieces of evidence in a 2010 trial of an Oregon man who was one of many boys molested by Portland Scouting volunteer Timur Dykes in the 1980s.

Originally Posted By: Peter Janci in The Oregonian

"There are dozens of cases around the country where this issue is being considered by trial courts," Janci said. "I think this (the Supreme Court opinion) is going to be closely studied by other judges."

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (06/14/12 11:17 PM)

#401862 - 06/27/12 12:45 AM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Scouts Canada failed to report 65 abuse cases

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/artic...thorities-audit

#402147 - 06/29/12 01:04 PM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: pufferfish]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
Someone who gained access to the files in early 90's, wrote a book. How many times the scouts have lied about number of abuse victims tells a story. A story about the scouts in America do not act like scouts on this issue. Trouble is because they are scouts nobody wants to even report it. The book talked about how great the child protection had become at the end... Yet I was being abused as it was written.
Fact is the scouts spend 5 times as much effort reassuring parents than actually enforcing the policies. They have no program to minimize the effect of abuse after it occurs. They still claimed I was "creating slanderous opportunities" when I approached them this month. It has been a long time since we called victims slanderers when they come forward. They are so far behind, yet claim they are ahead...

Fact other youth programs ran FBI background checks in the 90's yet BSA ran no background checks at all. Yet they still talk about what a great child protection program them they have. The year I was abused they even appeared before congress with this "great program" and presented it to congress as the best in the world the year I got abused. They didn't even run background checks like other youth programs did. BSA claimed background checks was too much money and would scare away volunteers... If a background check scares they shouldn’t be in your program. You say one is too many yet would not spend the money to screen volunteers so you could prevent so many?
They advertise that they have best of all the youth programs, yet some other programs still run the better more expensive FBI background checks. BSA only runs 3rd party checks even today... And did’t even start doing that tell 2002. Other programs have tried to coordinate sexual predator lists so someone couldn’t just volunteer else were, but BSA turned them down. They are so far behind even today, yet BSA still markets their CP program as the “best” in any youth program. No questions it because it is the scouts.

Part of problem is they are the scouts so everyone protects them. In the last 3 stories about scout masters who rape their scouts the sentence has been 6 mo, 1 year, and 2 Years. In all but the 1 year case there were multiple victims. There were multiple charges per victim in every case. Serial rapist only get 2 years if its scouts? 6 months and then they let him out? Why are these sentences so light? Why can they rape so many boys, so many times and get so short a sentence? Because it’s the scouts so everyone turns a blind eye, even the media down plays to protect the scout movement. Every time the "Secret Files" come out its news because it was never properly publicized or takes a back seat to scouts lies about how great the improvements are.

To say that our scout program in the USA is in line with the others in the world is wrong. Scouts Canada at least apologizes to the victims. The scouts in America is still not co-ed when most the scout programs in the world now are. Our scouts still discriminates based on sex, and sexual orientation. Meanwhile our girl scout program has become a platform for gay/transgender.

It's time for both the Sexist American Scout programs to be replaced, by the non-sexist co-ed scout program that now dominates the scout movement worldwide.

Edited by Napoleon (06/29/12 01:15 PM)

#402208 - 06/30/12 01:21 PM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: Napoleon]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Our society in general turns a blind eye toward child sexual abuse. News media only report the most flagrant of cases. News media also fail to give any kind of perspective as to what the abuse is doing long term to families and to the individual lives of victims. Dr. Phil usually chooses other issues such as family dysfunction to focus on. I rarely see any reference in 20/20 or 90 Minutes. The public TV reporting programs Frontline and Independent Lens have only iccasionally reported on issues of child sexual abuse.

I wonder if it's because there are lots of powerful people in various walks of life who are sympathetic to child abuse, or who choose to ignore it. Maybe some even practice it. They all apparently choose to see the scouts as an organization building men. Or maybe it's just ignorance.

When I was of scout age, there were 2 boy scout troops in the community. There still are that many. When we moved there my mother called to have me join up. One of those two troops was completely filled and they weren't taking any new additions. The other one which I ended up joining was more of a rag-tag outfit without good leadership. In fact the leader of troop I joined was involved in an extra-marital affair (with a woman) and his marriage was breaking up. For several months we didn't have any official leader. Then he was replaced by a young guy who was a pedophile. The pedophile leader abused me soon after taking his leadership position. I left the troop that night and never returned. The first troop I mentioned, the one which was full, all had color-coordinated tents and flags and all sorts of good stuff. They looked so good. It wasn't until I was 14 that a boy who was a member of that troop told me of an instance of sexual abuse perpetrated on another boy we both knew. He even added that the troop leader/teacher there was seeing a psychiatrist for his {problem}. The implication was that it was something that was frequent and ongoing. That leader was also a teacher in the local school. Everybody knew who he was.

My first summer of going to boy scout summer camp placed me in a special unit for boys who couldn't attend with their regular troop. I was 12. It was during that 2-week period that I awoke being tied to a camp bed in a remote tent. I had been lifted out of bed while sleeping. My briefs had been removed. My wrists and one leg had already been tied to different corners of the military-style bed. It was in that camp that I was subjected to torture, frequent sexual abuse, humiliation, starvation, and brain washing. It was a life-wrecking series of abuses. The abuser was later given an important role in the national community. I had no voice. I was just a little guy.

I have since looked up the abuser using internet searches. He is listed as a sexual offender by the internet reporting site: Checkmate. I picked up used copies of the several books about his father. I am forced to the conclusion that the guy who abused me must have been a serial offender. The leadership in the boy scout organization must have had some idea of what was going on. How could he be listed in Checkmate as a sexual offender but there were no court records? I have to conclude that he was given special treatment because of his father's notoriety and because he later had an important job in national security himself.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...9028#Post219028

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (06/30/12 01:32 PM)

#405945 - 08/05/12 10:43 PM Re: Boy Scout "Secret" Files Discovered (Again) [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

An AP release reveals repeated child abuse

http://news.yahoo.com/report-boy-scout-files-reveal-repeat-child-abuse-181201518.html

Originally Posted By: LA Times

Internal documents from the Boy Scouts of America reveal more than 125 cases in which men suspected of molestation allegedly continued to abuse Scouts, despite a blacklist meant to protect boys from sexual predators.

A Los Angeles Times review (http://lat.ms/OT9zx5) of more than 1,200 files from 1970 to 1991 found suspected abusers regularly remained in the organization after officials were first presented with sexual misconduct allegations.

Predators moved from troop to troop because of clerical errors, computer glitches or the Scouts' failure to check the blacklist, known as the "perversion files," the newspaper said.

Originally Posted By: LA Times

Many of the files will soon be made public as a result of an Oregon Supreme Court decision. The Associated Press, the New York Times, the Oregonian and other media outlets petitioned for the release of 1,247 files from 1965 to 1984 that had been admitted as sealed evidence in a 2010 lawsuit.

Several documented files of repeated abuse:

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (08/05/12 10:58 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.