Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64204 Topics
448043 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#405370 - 07/31/12 04:30 AM Paterno GONE
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
I heard that Penn state has taken down a statue of The illustrious Joe Paterno, Mr I didn't see anything. It has been replaced with new trees that I feel will be of better value than the memory of some idiot that condoned the abuse of Boys.

Finally Penn State does something right, even if it is TO LITTLE TO LATE Well at least it is something.

Perhaps the Management of the University should join the statue???

Heal well all
Martin

#405420 - 07/31/12 07:05 PM Re: Paterno GONE [Re: whome]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Agreed, Martin. I think it's the height of hubris for the PSU Board of Trustees to refuse to resign. It had been suggested, that as ancillary accomplices they step down due to their grave and admitted lack of oversight. In what other capacity or occupation can you (1) willfully turn a blind eye to your direct report (Spanier) and his problematic employee (Paterno), (2) allow these men to shelter a known pedophile (Sandusky) for over a decade, (3)commission an FBI administator (Freeh) to look into the matter, (4) suffer the harshest rebuke and public disgrace since tarring and feathering and STILL maintain an office of staus and authority. These "Trustees" need to be run out of town on a rail with the rest of them. Unbelieveable hubris.
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#405421 - 07/31/12 07:16 PM Re: Paterno GONE [Re: whome]
jls Offline

Actually from the limited knowledge I have gathered following the sanctions imposed on PSU I am pleased with the management of the university for not contesting the sanctions, and for committing themselves to transparency and accountability during their re-structuring. Some may say it's too little, too late, which I can completely understand. However, I feel that despite that what happened should never have occurred, I still consider it a breakthrough for a major institution like PSU to cut thru their denial and wholly acknowledge their role in the problem, with the goal of eradicating the existing culture in mind. I am hoping that if any good can come of this it’s that PSU in its re-building manages to set a standard and helps educate other institutions with concern to the prevention of a culture of abuse of children as well as other vulnerable populations.

#405423 - 07/31/12 07:22 PM Re: Paterno GONE [Re: scottyg]
jls Offline

Sorry, after reading your post I take back everything I just wrote. When I wrote it I did not realize that the board of trustees at PSU refused to resign. In my mind this is the first of many steps PSU needs to take for the process of re-building to get under way.

#405442 - 07/31/12 10:23 PM Re: Paterno GONE [Re: whome]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
I never get tired of seeing stories/hearing people talk about the sanctions in general, but the statue in particular. It has a classical feel to it. His record is removed along with any possibility that sports history will remember him for anything other than his complicity in the sexual abuse of boys.

On the other hand, Paterno represents to me what a lot of people in the United States are guilty of in their lives. He was apparently a nice guy, great coach, even a good man but EVERYONE needs to learn a lesson from his fall. I just hope this is a step forward for our nation and we are not simply using Penn State/Paterno as a scapegoat for a wider problem in our society.

#405475 - 08/01/12 04:28 AM Re: Paterno GONE [Re: Publius]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: Publius
I just hope this is a step forward for our nation and we are not simply using Penn State/Paterno as a scapegoat for a wider problem in our society.

Hope...

#405477 - 08/01/12 04:45 AM Re: Paterno GONE [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
I agree, we need to use this as a momentum to educate the rest of the world about turning a blind eye to something that is truly horrific.

IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO EXCUSE.

Heal well all
Martin

#405664 - 08/02/12 08:20 PM * [Re: whome]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 11:47 AM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.