Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
6 registered (Obi, Jay1159, Scott1962, wearytraveler, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443455 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#391640 - 03/31/12 02:26 PM ASA Resources
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi Guys,

I compiled a list of reading materials I thought might be useful.

Some of the articles appeared in newspapers and/ or magazines.

A few are research papers/ professional journals. While the research papers are written for a professional audience, I think it is important to include them.

Finally, there are some books that address ASA issues!!!!!

The books that are most highly recommended are:

McMullen, Richie J. Male Rape: Breaking the Silence on the Last Taboo.
Alyson Publications, $18.95, softcover
also Gay Men's Press, London, 1990

Scarce, Michael. Male on Male Rape: The Hidden Toll of Stigma and Shame.
Insight Books/Plenum, New York City, September 1997.

I have recently discovered these titles, but I have not yet read them. The “highly recommeded” suggestions come from sources which have reviewed the books.

Anomalous

Myths and Facts about Male Rape

Information about the Abused Becoming Abusers - The Source of, and the Debunking of the Myth

Myths about Male Rape

Rape: Myths and Realities (Scroll half way down the page to find the section about Male rape)

Books

McEvoy, Alan, Rollo, Debbie, and Brookings, Jeff, If He is Raped A Guidebook for Partners, Spouses, Parents and Friends, ISBN 1-55691-151-3

McMullen, Richie J. Male Rape: Breaking the Silence on the Last Taboo.
Alyson Publications, $18.95, softcover
also Gay Men's Press, London, 1990

Mezey, Gillian C.; King, Michael B. Male victims of Sexual Assault.
Oxford University Press, New York City, 1992

Scacco, Anthony M. Jr. Male Rape: A Casebook of Sexual Aggressions
AMS Press, New York City, 1982.

Scarce, Michael. Male on Male Rape: The Hidden Toll of Stigma and Shame.
Insight Books/Plenum, New York City, September 1997.

Wooden, Wayne S.; Parker, Jay Men Behind Bars: Sexual Exploitation in Prison
Plenum Press, New York, 1982.

Jr. Anthony M. Scacco; Male Rape: A Casebook of Sexual Aggression (AMS Studies in Modern Society, No. 15) AMS Press Inc, New York City, 1982

Kyle Michel Sullivan; Bobby Carapisi, Vol. 1 (Fiction)
The Nazca Plains Corporation; Austin, Texas, 2009

John M. Preble, A. Nicholas Groth; Male Victims of Same-Sex Abuse: Addressing Their Sexual Response
Sidran Press, Maryland, 2002

Marc A. LeBeau, Ashraf Mozayani; Drug-Facilitated Sexual Assault: A Forensic Handbook
Academic Press, 2001

M. Davies, P. Rogers; Perceptions of male victims in depicted sexual assaults: A review of the literature [An article from: Aggression and Violent Behavior] 2006

Josef Spiegel, Christine A. Courtois; Sexual Abuse of Males: The SAM Model of Theory and Practice
Routledge Publishers, 2003

Barbara Krahe, Jennifer Temkin; Sexual Assault and the Justice Gap: A Question of Attitude (Criminal Law Library) Hart Publishing, 2008

Jenny Petrak, Barbara Hedge; The Trauma of Sexual Assault: Treatment, Prevention and Practice (Wiley Series in Clinical Psychology) John Wiley and Sons, 2003

Guide for Medical Professionals

Handbook for Medical Professionals about Sexual Abuse

Articles

For Men Only: A Guide to Self-Care After Sexual Assault

The New York Times, January 23, 2012 – Men Struggle for Rape Awareness

Oxford University Gazette, 1 October 1998: News Pages - Study of Victims of Male Rape (Title is MISLEADING - it's about males raped by males)

Lifetime prevalence, characteristics, and associated problems of non-consensual sex in men: cross sectional survey

Rape Of Men Is Not Uncommon, Study Says

The Prevalence of Sexual Aggression and Victimization Among Homosexual Men - Statistical Data Included

Male Survivors of Sexual Violence

M.E.N.D. for Male Survivors of Military Sexual Trauma

Impact and Recovery of Prison Rape

Even though this refers to the rape crisis center in Ohio, there is useful information contained in the article.

This article contains information about the sexual abuse/ assault of men and boys.

Journal Articles

Anderson, Craig L. "Males as Sexual Assault Victims: Multiple Levels of Trauma." Journal of Homosexuality Volume 7, Numbers 2/3, Winter/Spring, 1981-82

Myers M F, Men Sexually Assaulted as Adults and Sexually Abused as Boys, 1989, Arch Sex Behav, V 18, N 3, pp 203-215, sexual abuse of boys men male rape

Rochman, Susan. “Silent Victims: Bringing Male Rape out of the Closet.” Advocate 30, July 1991. 38-43

Scarce, Michael. "Same-Sex Rape of Male College Students." Journal of American College Health. Volume 45, January 1997: pp 171-173

Stermac, et al. "Sexual assault of adult males." Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Vol 11, No. 1, March 1996, pp. 52-64

Websites

Male Sexual Assault

Male rape, sexual assault, sex abuse support men uk - Mankind UK

Movies / Films

Liam McGrath's film Male Rape: Men overcoming rape and sexual abuse.
The Irish Film Board includes production notes on this film in their list of documentaries.

The Rape of Richard Beck (1985) aka Deadly Justice

Therapy Resources

For United States Residents:

Rape Crisis Center (available in every county); Individual therapy. Some offer groups for males (mixed ASA/ CSA)

* Victims of Crime Compensation Board

Provides a list of relevant therapists and will pay for therapy (at least they do for CSA).

* Thank you LittleBigMan for the information

© This information may not be copied in whole or in part without express written permission.

#391647 - 03/31/12 04:19 PM Re: ASA Resources [Re: Anomalous]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Anomalus,
thank you for this thread, this is like valuable gem!
You've spent some time to gather all that information, you are really bringing some help and support to all of us.
I'm going to steal some of resources/links for recently started on-line group for male survivors outside of MS, thanks for this!!!
You rock Anomalus!

#396376 - 05/06/12 11:51 PM Re: ASA Resources [Re: Anomalous]
Yellowbird Offline

My Dear Anomalous,

Thank You!!! Thank You for all the research you have done to provide incite and a logical perspective on what one is feeling. You are an asset to this site! I appreciate the references that you have provided! My gratitude extends beyond this page and typed words! You really are one special person!!!

#405418 - 07/31/12 06:38 PM Re: ASA Resources [Re: Anomalous]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

thank you for the research. the aest links (the last 5 pages) are dead/closed links though unfortunately.

Has anyone heard of other resources.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.