Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closure (24), esp22 (40)
Who's Online
2 registered (don64, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63241 Topics
442224 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#331342 - 05/20/10 06:56 PM Re: Ordinary People (Movie 1980) - spoilers [Re: Jim1961]
GeorgeMartin Offline

Loc: USA
Another movie is "I Know My First Name Is Steven".

#331405 - 05/21/10 01:17 AM Re: Ordinary People (Movie 1980) - spoilers [Re: GeorgeMartin]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: GeorgeMartin
Another movie is "I Know My First Name Is Steven".

Yes, that movie helped me personally. It seemed to validate the very different kind of kidnap experience I had.

Allen

pufferfish

#331407 - 05/21/10 01:36 AM Re: Ordinary People (Movie 1980) - spoilers [Re: pufferfish]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Ditto on that. My mom tried to send me to bed when it aired but I went upstairs and watched it in the bedroom with the volume low. It was only about 4 or 5 years after my kidnapping and it riveted me for some then unknown reason. I had suppressed everything. When the flood of memories started, I had a lot of understanding by reading summaries of that story. I had seen Ordinary People some time ago, I may rewatch it but I am finding I need to be much more careful about triggers.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#405282 - 07/30/12 08:57 AM Re: Ordinary People (Movie 1980) - spoilers [Re: Jim1961]
une.vie.d.espoir Offline

Loc: Quebec-Canada
Hi Jim,

I would like to share whit you and be a little part of your life, in no way I impose on you. I just stumble on here (Ms) and read a part of your life the one you mention about the film “Ordinary People”. I am French speaking so please don’t look at my spelling ok. But if you don’t understand fell at ease to ask me and I will do my best as for you you understand me ok.

In no way I want to make you upset and you be trigger about things. Yes I had to look around the meaning of the word “triggers”. I would hum well I would like to share what did append in my life if in a way it can help you. See I was abuse (sexually) by my dad from age 10 to 15. I knew something was not normal and at age 15 I got real mad at my dad and told him to stop abusing me. 15 Days after that he committed suicide.
(
Conrad feels very sad about the loss of his brother and he says "you just make one mistake and..." to which Dr Berger says, "And what was the one mistake you made? You know!" and "Let yourself off the hook!"

Conrad's answer "I stayed with the boat." He survived...

Is that why I get so tearful watching that scene? Is it because doing what I had to do to survive was my only "mistake"? Maybe something even deeper, not sure. But boy 25+ years later it still hits me hard.

As of today I know I did not do a mistake. I really did love my dad and I still do Jim. I really understand what you are saying. We stay behind and watch life as if we were the responsible ones. How did I got better is that I have just finish a therapy whit a wonderful and bright therapist, is name is Denis. He brought me to my feelings wen I found my dad dead by gas poisoning in his garage. My therapy sessions were an hour, but that day I cry out all the hurt, the rage for 2 hours.
Today I understand what really happened when I found my dad dead by suicide. It is this way I understood there were no mistake.

Affectingly,

Jean-Pierre

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.