Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
6 registered (Suwanee, don64, gettingstronger, Cthulhu, sorryson, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63183 Topics
441806 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#403217 - 07/10/12 10:24 PM Re: P.T.S.D. [Re: max52]
SaberCat Offline
New Here

Loc: Florida, US
I had a similar problem. I was *extremely* ticklish. Not just if someone touched me but if they just made a tickling gesture in front of me, I'd actually laugh so hard I'd pass out. I was in my 30's and I'd laugh when the doctor examined me and pressed on my stomach. I'll still jump if my wife touches me unexpected. Though she's kind of figured out not to.

#403267 - 07/11/12 10:07 AM Re: P.T.S.D. [Re: max52]
pablo Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Dear Max --

I am so sorry to hear about the abuse you suffered at the hands of your mother. As a survivor of a mother's sexual abuse, I share your pain.

The PTSD aspects of our recovery can be very hard to deal with, and in my case took a really good therapist -- a woman who taught me what real mothering was like, an emotional well of kindness and a full heart. Even so, decades, later, I still sometimes have castration nightmares or flashbacks, and still sometimes lash out at others: it's important to have reasonable expectations about recovery.

Talking with friends is important, too, as they can help to flag us in moments when we are acting out again. PTSD is really like that: I remember how I used to catch shoplifters in stores -- I loved the confrontations and sense of danger. It drove my girlfriend in college crazy, and she threatened to stop going into stores with me if I didn't stop it. But back then, we didn't even know what was wrong, only that I was constantly at war with the world, and that it came out in really weird ways.

Find yourself a really empathetic and kind therapist with experience in PTSD and personality disorders (which often develop with or predispose us to PTSD, especially in conjunction with abuse and abandonment) and work hard. Your openness here and willingness/ability to look at things as they are puts you miles ahead of where I started, and should give you a lot of hope for your recovery.

Pablo

#403274 - 07/11/12 10:53 AM Re: P.T.S.D. [Re: max52]
Letourski Offline

Loc: Canada
I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD. Hyper-arousal, inability to shut down the flight/fight response, anger, dreams and complete lack of sleep. I had not heard of the term hyper-vigilance before reading into PTSD. I am always guarded, it's been that way since the abuse. I study people quite a bit, in fact I am suspicious of people for a long time before I allow myself to show through.

I am going to be trying some anti-anxiety meds shortly, and I am hoping this will allow to sleep a little. Opening up the past has brought so many different facets of myself to light.

#403381 - 07/12/12 07:59 AM Re: P.T.S.D. [Re: max52]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/16/13 05:03 PM)

Stick around, It will get better....

#405133 - 07/28/12 02:45 PM Re: P.T.S.D. [Re: max52]
Steve0123 Offline

I have spent my whole life worrying about the "what-if's"...and even when I get reassurance that what I am worried about won't occur I still worry...I'm never comforted, I'm always on edge and I thought this made me smart, prepared....but it destroys my life in a way because I don't ever fully relax and I ruin everything by looking for what can go wrong, looking for the tragedy, looking for the danger or the threat....

...the irony is that despite all my worry, I've never stopped tragedy from occuring anyway, I can't bring myself to just live and not TRY to prevent bad things from occuring...

I chant that serenity prayer....I wish I believed it...

“Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

#405162 - 07/28/12 11:34 PM Re: P.T.S.D. [Re: max52]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/16/13 05:03 PM)

Stick around, It will get better....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.