Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
5 registered (Scott1962, 4 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444209 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#405439 - 07/31/12 10:14 PM Re: Link between childhood abuse and age of menarche [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: can't remember
Is the abnormality in puberty related to the trauma, or, to put it bluntly, the ingestion of hormones from the perp's semen into the child's body?

I found this in a Psychology Today article: "semen also contains two female sex hormones, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). FSH spurs egg maturation in ovary."

Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW

I don't know as I am not a physician (nor pretend to be one on TV). However, I do know that substances (like medications or perhaps hormones) don't work with passing through the gut. Some meds need to be injected and others can be absorbed through the digestive system.

I think from my reading on the matter that the premature sexual stimulation causes SOME children to develop sexually in ways that are premature and left to "normal" development they would not experience sexual maturation that soon. However, I am not familiar with any studies that might indicate otherwise.

Hormones reaching the stomach by way of the mouth would be broken down by the digestive system. However, before they reach the stomach they are exposed to mucous membranes of the mouth and esophagus. Remember that some chemical substances are absorbed through mucous membranes lining the mouth and esophagus. Those who take snuff or smoke pot are aware of this. The active agent in pot smoke and tobacco smoke is absorbed through these mucous membranes. Also there is a range of substances called prostaglandins. These are not technically hormones but they are tissue - activating substances. Prostaglandins are named for the prostate gland, which is of course active in semen formation. Prostaglandins were first found in semen. It is believed that there are other prostaglandin-like substances which have not yet been discovered. These substances also could be absorbed by the mucous membranes in the mouth and esophagus and would play a role in the human reproductive process.

It seems that the tissue hormones introduced into the rectum and colon could also be absorbed through mucous membranes there. As far as I know, no one has studied the effects of these substances on the human body, especially the human child. I'll keep looking for references.

The other matter in the question is why csa (child sexual abuse) sometimes seems to slow down development in boys. In other well-documented cases it seems to speed up development (termed menarche here). I think the answer to this is that csa in early childhood, before puberty, slows down development. However, csa after the time when puberty (menarche) has commenced tends to speed it up. A child under those conditions would seem to mature more rapidly. It needs to be emphasized that there are individual differences and that not all early- or late- developing children were abused. In other words, this symptom taken by itself cannot prove the presence or absence of abuse.

My only qualification for writing about this is that I have an earned doctorate in biological science and I taught human anatomy and physiology for 12 years. The matters touched on here are not discussed in the typical human anatomy and physiology books.

The excellent book I have cited, has excellent references to this subject and a lot of others: Psychological Trauma and the Developing Brain, by Phyllis Stein and Joshua Kendall.

http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-Trauma-Developing-Brain-Neurologically/dp/0789017881/

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (07/31/12 10:24 PM)

#405487 - 08/01/12 07:03 AM Re: Link between childhood abuse and age of menarche [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
I was the last in my graduating class to reach puberty (15.5yrs). Naturally, I blamed "being a whore" for this.

It was strange though. I was pushed into very strange and absurdly-intense orgasm from the earliest age (7). Wet dreams, dry-orgasm dreams, continuous (seemingly) erections, a deep and strong sex-drive, all coloured my life black.

There was nothing enjoyable about orgasms. It was just a body-horror that caused my head to hurt, ears to ring and then frequent black-out.

Ingestion and injection: My first fear was pregnancy. Second was that I'd never reach puberty and forever be in a child-body.

It became such an issue, that even my PCP saw that I needed "out" of gym class by the end of sophomore-year. He issued me an out-letter citing my asthma.

I later met an 18yo college student who still had not reached puberty and appeared as an 11yo. When I last saw him at age 20...same thing. He blamed his binge drinking that began at age 10.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#405495 - 08/01/12 08:00 AM Re: Link between childhood abuse and age of menarche [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I can see where the mucous membrane of the vaginal walls is different from the stomach acids of the stomach. I would guess (I'm not a physician) that the destructive action of stomach acid would negate the impact of many drugs or hormones that could get absorbed in another area.

I have to take a daily medication via injection and the doc says there is nothing that can be done for it via a pill. The stomach acids won't allow its absorption. Can't wait til they come up with an oral dose.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.