Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (Dave PNW, Dewey, fhorns, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63993 Topics
446673 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#404897 - 07/26/12 02:51 PM Could this be my resolve?
jay75 Offline

#404900 - 07/26/12 02:57 PM Re: Could this be my resolve? [Re: jay75]
jay75 Offline

Or could we both be f@&%#* up?

#404911 - 07/26/12 05:06 PM Re: Could this be my resolve? [Re: jay75]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Jay-

Many of the issues you speak to are adressed in the article linked within the MaleSurvivor mainpage menu. The article I refer to is titled, Looking Through a Gendered Lens by Lindsey Getz. Some relevant exepts:

Quote:
"We’re all socialized to believe that men are resilient and self-sufficient,” says Richard Gartner, PhD. “We’re led to believe that men are not victims and they don’t turn down sex—they’re in charge of sex. All of these things make it difficult for a man to acknowledge he’s been victimized. Often men will even rewrite the history and say they were the one who was in charge of the situation or they’ll say it didn’t bother or affect them

Quote:
“Some perpetrators may use it against their victim, making them think that because they were aroused it was their fault,” says Ken Singer, MSW, LCSW, executive director of New Jersey’s Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers and past president of MaleSurvivor, “or say, ‘You’re gay—look, you have an erection.’” Singer, who is the author of Evicting the Perpetrator: A Male Survivor’s Guide to Recovery From Child Sexual Abuse, says this often makes young men unwilling to “tell” on the person who abused them.

In addition, Singer says male-male abuse can make sexual orientation incredibly confusing for a young victim. “If the abuse was not painful or perhaps not even perceived totally negatively because the boy experiences sexual arousal, pleasure, or even orgasm, maybe even before they’re old enough to ejaculate, then it can be very confusing,” he explains. “The victim is overwhelmed by these strange and scary but also pleasurable feelings.”

I encourage everyone to read all the articles posted to the MaleSurvivor.org page. The insights contained in these works have helped my to better understand my abuse, its fallout and the empowering ways I can re-frame my experiences.

-Scott
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#404914 - 07/26/12 05:23 PM Re: Could this be my resolve? [Re: jay75]
jay75 Offline

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.