Newest Members
J44, Anura, reynel5, smc1972, Moi
12418 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
3 registered (reynel5, aniceguy, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12418 Members
74 Forums
63762 Topics
445302 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#404530 - 07/23/12 07:43 PM Penn State's $60M fine
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Penn State's $60M fine

This is a shame.

Apparently there are no other kinds of men that are abused besides CSA. That is the impression that Mark Emmert wants to give with his $60M fine for Penn State football. The fine will be used to fund an endowment for child sex abuse victims.

What is wrong with funding a foundation for male survivors in general? No other kind of male survivor has been lucky enough to get that kind of endowment. Now no other kind of programs will get funding because everyone will be eager to get their hands on the NCAA money.

Nice to be left in the cold again.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#404616 - 07/24/12 01:07 PM Re: Penn State's $60M fine [Re: LN3(SS)]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Brian-

I hear you. I feel your anger and your outrage. We do need more awareness for the issues you champion.

I've even agreed with you that punishing the existing program by taking away scholorships and bowl games goes a bridge too far. I've always found the NCAA absolutely feckless in its tactics, punishing entire institutions after the players and coaches in violation are long, long gone. The NCAA as a governing board is like the jury that finds a ham sandwich guilty for the murder of a pig. This is a recurring theme for the NCAA and it's attempts at control are laughable. Its current posturing regarding Penn State smacks of a vindictive powerplay. Furthermore, the NCAA has amd continues to benefit from creating an atmosphere of big time college football. It's condemnation of the "football culture" it helped to create reeks of hypocracy.

You've been feeling slighted, even within your own support group. I am truly sorry for that. I understand why you feel that way. That is an awful feeling. I wish I could wave a wand and make it go away. You are right to raise our awareness at this time. Male sexual abuse is now on the nation's radar. Adult sexual abuse suffered by men is undoubtedly the least understood of all the violent crimes. When we think rape we automatically think women and I know by reading ASA posts there are few community resources for men. That needs to change. Admiitedly, I had no idea about the issue or its impacts till I cam here and actively looked into it. I salute you and the other ASA men who've told their stories. I apologize for making assumptions and comments that disqualify this important community within MaleSurvivor. Brian, we're here to support each other not create divisions.

That is the reason for my appeal to you here. You are justified in your frustrations and have every right to be heard. I think it is fantastic that you are standing up for your community of survivors. And like the NCAA itself your methods are totally ineffective. By using proxy issues like a statue or a morality debate you are obscuring the important issue that needs our full attention: ASA. Worse, by doing so you're unwittingly making yourself into a villian. I know you are not a villian, Brian. Several folks have volunteered that you are a teddy bear of a guy and I choose to believe them. But not everyone around here is reasonable. Your choice to piss people off with reactionary posts rather than being honest about the issue affecting you creates division. It's counter-productive and is hurting you cause. I take no pleasure in this, by the way. I am saddened as I write this to you. I wish we were brainstorming ways to get the message out. You've made your point to the Director of MS and that is a step in the right direction. He has become a bit defensive about the ASA issue in the past and I think we will get farther if we open a dialoge with respect and honesty not accusations.

I am with you, Brian. I understand the frustration and rage. Been there, done that. Now lets work on solving this.

-Scott
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.