Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blakanezebruh (43), OneWithStrength (37), Parker (45), scottyg (42)
Who's Online
2 registered (crabbott, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446621 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#404510 - 07/23/12 05:10 PM MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
MaleSurvivor fully supports the sanctions levied against Penn State this morning by the NCAA. We applaud NCAA president Mark Emmert, Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee, as well as the NCAA executive committee and the Division I board for their swift, significant, and appropriate response. We are satisfied that these sanctions strike a balance between punishment and promotion of healing change at the University. However, as the nation discusses the ramifications and import of these sanctions, MaleSurvivor urges us all to remember that the heart of this story is not Penn State, nor college athletics – but the brave young men who courageously took the stand and who still face years of healing.

We also applaud Penn State president Rodney Erickson for signaling the University’s immediate acceptance of these unprecedented sanctions by signing the consent decree. To contest any part of these sanctions would have been grossly inappropriate. MaleSurvivor has been impressed by the steps that the University has taken to promote healing, the tone of contrition spoken by senior officials, and their resolve to change the community for the better. Acceptance of and compliance with the NCAA sanctions today is an important step in the healing process for all of those who have been harmed. Further, we hope that a significant portion of the funds from the $60 million fine will be dedicated to unrestricted funding of the ongoing therapeutic needs of the survivors, some of whom may require support for many years to come.

Moving forward MaleSurvivor remains committed to working with the Penn State administration and University community to aid and assist their efforts to help both the survivors and the community heal. We are confident that the board and senior leadership at the University, the Alumni Association, and the Penn State Letterman’s Association will continue to follow the lead of President Erickson. The tragic consequences of a football culture that had come to dominate everything else are all too clear.

There are no heroes in this tragedy, save the survivors who found the strength to come forward and seek justice. Any actions that the NCAA, Penn State, and the community take must be viewed from their perspective. Others will debate the future of the football program for years to come, for today at least, I urge everyone to save some of their concern for the needs of all survivors who continue to need support so that they can heal.

Christopher Anderson
Executive Director

#404531 - 07/23/12 07:53 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I'd like to hear about some PSU sanctions that don't even mention football. Sanctioning the store that sold the candy to the molester is pointless.

John

#404537 - 07/23/12 08:27 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Emmert said the NCAA is reserving the right to "sanction individuals" after the completion of any "criminal proceedings" or something like that, by which I assume he means Spanier, Curley etc.

So maybe that helps?

#404554 - 07/23/12 09:48 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
jls Offline

I am pleased that Penn state accepted the sanctions without reservation. As we've seen some have argued that the penalties imposed were too harsh, or that they punish innocent players, etc. Yes the consequences imposed on the Penn State organization will have an adverse effect on innocent individuals who played no role in this scandal but so it has to be. It is no different than it would be for anyone who through no wrong doing of their own found themselves out of luck as a result of working for, volunteering for or playing for an organization that behaved poorly and needed to be sanctioned as a result. (The unfortunate fate of many Wall Street employees comes to mind.) Besides all this I would like to believe that any right thinking person, football fan or not, would put the sake of the game aside long enough to contemplate the catastrophic errors that occured here in order to begin to reconcile them, which is exactly the kind of needed time out that these sanctions provide. It can't just be business as usual for a while.

#404579 - 07/24/12 07:00 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Merci Offline

Loc: U.S.
Thank you Chris, and everyone else on the Admin team. Official responses from survivor groups are critical at a time like this, since such a high profile case has opened up more dialog on the issue of sexual abuse than possibly any other in the history of the U.S.

#404602 - 07/24/12 10:40 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I am sad to see that MaleSurvivor supported the sanctions against PSU in toto.

These sanctions will have the effect of denying certain funding to adult students that have no connection to what happened in the Sandusky matter but simply wish to play football for Penn State in exchange for an education.

These sanctions will also hurt past players that had no knowledge of what Sandusky was doing by vacating the wins that they earned on the field.

These sanctions will also have the effect of creating a further divide between male survivors by giving a considerable funding source to child sexual abuse programs while ignoring other types of male survivors. The better solution would have been to create a funding source, through the fine, for male survivor programs in general.

I do hope that a part of this money is used to help the direct survivors of Sandusky. They deserve no less.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#404604 - 07/24/12 10:57 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Brian,

Thanks for your comment. I respect your opinion although we disagree. I did want to address two things.

First, one of the reasons I was supportive of the sanctions is because I felt the NCAA crafted them with current student athletes in mind and mitigated, to the extent possible, the harm the might suffer as a result the sanctions. Present scholarships are preserved, and the reduction of overall scholarships in the future means student athletes will attend other programs. The "death penalty" that some had wanted I felt would have been inappropriate, and would have done far more harm to current students.

That said, it's undeniable that the overall culture at Penn State had been tolerant of, and willfully ignorant of many forms of abuse for a long time. (And Penn State is far from alone in this, I should stress). It's dangerous to put all the current athletes and recent lettermen on a pedestal and claim they were all innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever. Anyone who would try to claim that every scholar athlete at the school lived up to the ideal that Paterno's image was built upon is woefully blind to the reality of football culture.

I believe the vacating of past wins is largely a symbolic matter that has far less of an impact of the athletes than some make out. I respect that lots of people will have different opinions on this, especially those who are or were athletes themselves. I find it difficult to accept that the vacating of wins from 10 years ago will in any significantly jeopardize anyone's current potential to make a living, or undermine their standing as a successful former college athlete. The main impact of the decision to vacate those victories is to strip Paterno of the legacy of being the winningest coach in college football. An outcome that I feel is just and appropriate given his actions in the past.

As to the fund, I am hopeful that MaleSurvivor's efforts at outreach at Penn State will give us the opportunity to raise that very point and ensure that at least some of that funding goes to benefit the healing of all survivors, no matter when they were abused.

Chris

#404654 - 07/24/12 05:22 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
ren42 Offline

Edited by ren42 (12/29/12 06:31 AM)

#404664 - 07/24/12 06:38 PM * [Re: Chris Anderson]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 11:40 AM)

#404679 - 07/24/12 09:39 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Happy Birthday scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
+1
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#404705 - 07/25/12 01:24 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Quote:
As for the divide, I really don't understand. I've made several overtures to bridge the divide but it seems people aren't interested. This is not a criticism, just a concern.

Gary,

I suppose I could send this as PM as well, but I would rather this be out on the public side.

I remember at my first WOR, when we laid out all the ground rules for what we would need to feel safe enough to really commit to the weekend, I was quiet for quite some time and felt really scared. I remember thinking to myself that I didn't belong in that room because what happened to me didn't seem so severe. I only recall one incident of overt abuse clearly, and all around me were guys who had undergone years and years of systemic abuse, sometimes at the hands of multiple predators.

I was just about to check out for good, and if I hadn't been all the way on the other side of the country I might have packed up my stuff and left. (Thank god I didn't!) After feeling really uncomfortable for a while I finally figured out what it was that was bothering me so much, and I raised my hand.

"I need everyone here to know that there's no hierarchy of abuse." I couldn't believe I'd said it out loud, and I was sure I was going to get roundly booed by everyone around me. Much to my shock, the exact opposite thing happened, a few people thanked me for saying that. Some of them, I would later learn, actually had stories that made mine seem like a walk in the park on a drizzly day without an umbrella by comparison.

Ever since then, that's been one of my mantras. There is no hierarchy of abuse. The plain truth is that we cannot understand how and why some people respond to trauma in the ways they do. Some people experience severe, prolonged trauma and seem to adapt and adjust with relatively minimal dysfunction. Some people can have their entire lives shattered by one isolated abusive experience. What matters in the long run is not how severe the abuse may or may not have been for a person, what matters is the impact abuse has on that person.

For me, the abuse I experienced cemented the damaged sense of self I had been developing throughout my earlier childhood. But there are some people who have a relatively idyllic life shattered by a single instant of powerlessness. There is no reason that I should not offer my heart and my support to anyone who has been hurt just because our stories differ.

Sometimes I think it's just as simple as that. There is no hierarchy of abuse. No one of us has any reason to conclude that their experiences set us apart from the rest of the community. Some people will do so because they are still raw and hurting and need to protect themselves. I understand that need, and have given myself over to that impulse more times that I'd care to admit.

But -- everyone has a unique story. That's why people are given the time they need to tell their stories in the way they need at the Weekends. It's the commonality of our shared pain that connects us, and gives us the power to help one another heal. Those of us who throw up obstacles to the formation of those healing bonds are ultimately perpetuating the isolation and pain that they have been trapped within for so long.

Edited by Chris Anderson (07/25/12 01:25 AM)

#404793 - 07/25/12 08:22 PM * [Re: Chris Anderson]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 11:41 AM)

#404796 - 07/25/12 08:34 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

For a long time, I thought because I couldn't remember my abuse that I was somehow less of a survivor than my brothers with graphic tales.

I later learned that us non-rememberers make up a fair share of the survivor community, but it's great to hear it articulated that "there's no hierarchy of abuse."

It puts to rest nagging concerns that I'm somehow less of a survivor without a story.

#404814 - 07/25/12 10:01 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
pablo Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Dear all --

I am very much impressed by the sanctions and fines, which though not often mentioned include the loss of post-season funds, $13M, which the Big Ten will also contribute to the fund for survivors, bringing the total to $73M.

Most important to me was the forfeiture of past wins. For the NCAA and Penn State to recognize that the culture of football contributed to the crimes is a very high moral standard. Had football not ruled PSU, Sandusky could not have committed his crimes there. From the day that Paterno first learned that his assistant coach was a pederast, every win was tainted.

Certainly, the innocent players lost out. But how many of them questioned the prominence of football at what came to be called Linebacker U?

Indeed, part of what MS stands for is a recognition that 'it takes a village'. Just as the feminist movement has correctly argued that the objectification of women in the larger society contributes to rape, so, too, the NCAA and PSU now recognize that turning football into a cult contributes to sexual violence. I applaud them for this and am glad that MS supports this high moral standard.

Some have also argued that the settlement focuses too much on CSA. With respect and appreciation for the pain of those who were raped or molested as adults, I think it important that the settlement address CSA as that is the crime that Sandusky and PSU committed. At the same time, funding will of course benefit ASA survivors, too, as more money in the pool of resources will help us all. The money will go to a wide range of organizations, many of which will provide support to a larger audience of survivors, freeing up money for ASA survivors that would otherwise have funded programs for CSA survivors. Male survivors of all types will benefit.

The most important thing is that our own community is not divided. MS is about supporting male survivors. While most of the focus is on CSA and on survivors of male predators, I think that is mostly a function of sheer numbers. I myself was molested by my mother, whose excessive fascination with little boys ruined my childhood and has deeply colored my adult life, and not always in good ways. This particular set of circumstances is also less well represented here, and will likely not be the focus of the many charities supported by the new funding, but for me, anything that addresses the MS community benefits us all. We are one.

Also, as a sidebar: this week, the court sentenced Msgr. Lynn to 3-6 years, a significant sentence for someone who himself did not molest anyone but was found guilty of endangerment for moving so-called pedophile priests around. Coincidentally, he was found guilty the same week as Sandusky. Seeing the NCAA hold PSU accountable for shielding Sandusky and the court in PA holding Lynn accountable has really inspired me and given me hope.

May we live in healing times.

Pablo

#404821 - 07/25/12 10:31 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
There is something I want to point out about the innocence of current players. From what I understand, Sandusky was still frequently in the company of boys around the football program even after the grand jury investigation and yes, even at Paterno's last win. Many of these players describe seeing Sandusky like this. Was McQuery the ONLY one that saw something. Were the janitor's the only other ones? These were only the ones that the prosecutors could PROVE. We all realize that given the average behavior and statistics of abuse patterns, that Sandusky's victims were likely in the hundreds and that the abuse most likely goes back to the 60's. Given that time span and Sandusky's behaviors, these players saw enough that I am not buying the "innocence" of the players past and present.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#404938 - 07/26/12 08:49 PM * [Re: Chris Anderson]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 11:44 AM)

#405015 - 07/27/12 03:07 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
We are making that case, I promise you.

In the meantime, I encourage you all to contact Penn State, the NCAA, and the Big Ten conference via email, twitter, and on the phone to let them know that you think MaleSurvivor should be in line for some of those funds.

I'm going to do everything in my power to make it happen (and have already begun the outreach), but we need all the support we can get.

Chris

#405030 - 07/27/12 05:16 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

If/when any of us find the correct & appropriate contact persons at these places, please post them here so that we can easily follow up on it.

To get the ball rolling, here's the contact info I could find for the members of the NCAA Infractions Committee. Not sure who will be ultimately responsible for doling out their $60M penalty, but it's a good place to start. (If someone knows who exactly at the NCAA will be the decision-maker on this, let us know.)

James S. Black -- attorney in Kansas City
jblack@polsinelli.com

Roscoe Howard -- attorney in Washington, DC
law firm's contact-us page: http://www.andrewskurth.com/contact.html

Gregory Sankey, SEC
(contact info hard to find)

Britton Banowsky, Conference USA
info@c-usa.org

Melissa Conboy -- U. of Notre Dame
574 631 5143 -- Melissa.L.Conboy.1@nd.edu

James O'Fallon -- law professor at Oregon
(541) 346-3830

Rodney Uphoff -- law professor at Missouri
UphoffR@missouri.edu
(573) 882-3035

Dr. Dennis. E. Thomas -- commissioner of the MEAC conference
commissioner@themeac.com
MEAC main office line 757-951-2055

Eleanor Myers -- Law professor at Temple
eleanor.myers@temple.edu

Christopher Griffin -- attorney in Tampa
cgriffin@foley.com

Keep messages or phone calls to these folks simple and direct. Grammar, spelling and punctuation matter. Keep your paragraphs short.

I haven't had time to reach out yet, but I'm planning on saying something like:

I understand you are on the NCAA Committee on Infractions, so I am writing to you to see if you can tell me who the point-person will be for distributing the $60 million fine assessed to Penn State University.

I would like to contact that person to tell them how much MaleSurvivor.Org has helped in my life and recovery process. With over 10,000 registered members representing the statistically estimated 25 million American men living as survivors of sex abuse, Male Survivor is the best there is.

With the support of the NCAA, Male Survivor could do a lot more, and there is much that needs to be done.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience to whom I should address further correspondence in this matter.

Yours...

(Perhaps Chris A or others in leadership can tell us what we might possibly be able to do with a grant from the NCAA so that we can articulate that to these folks as we contact them?)

#405032 - 07/27/12 05:48 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
pablo Offline

Loc: New Jersey
A few quick comments:

I appreciate catfish's comment on the innocence of the former players very much, as many of us wonder where our families and friends were when we were being abused. But insofar as we do wonder, it gives me pause. I agree that some of them must have at least suspected something, but given how many people close to me should have known and didn't, I would be careful about assigning blame at that level. But I do agree that those wins should have been vacated.

On the issue of contacting NCAA and PSU (and Big Ten) officials, I would be careful about using statistics such as the 'estimated 25 million American men living as survivors of sex abuse'. People are always arguing about stats .... I think it's better to focus as cant_remember also suggests on the personal good that MS has done us all. Coming from members, stats don't matter and won't win arguments. But our personal testimony will matter.

Pablo

#405036 - 07/27/12 06:57 PM * [Re: Chris Anderson]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 11:45 AM)

#405053 - 07/27/12 11:12 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Regarding stats, here are the stats that I often use:

Through it's website, Weekends of Recovery program, and International conference MaleSurvivor has given hope and support to hundreds of thousands of survivors, their loved ones, and the professionals who work with them.

In the past 12 months (July 1, 2011 to July 1, 2012) our website had over 3.3 million pageviews by over 300,000 visitors from over 200 countries.

The estimated male US population in 2009 was 155,244,097 (http://www.geohive.com/earth/pop_gender.aspx) 1 in 6 of that total (victims of abuse before age 18), there are over 25M survivors in the US (the actual # is 25,874,016). If we make a conservative guesstimate for the # of ASA survivors by raising the number of survivors to 1 in 5 the number is over 30M (31,048,819).

Hope this helps.

Chris

#405055 - 07/27/12 11:29 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
And if you really want to have fun with the stats you can then make the comparison to the rates of diabetes (1 in 10) and heart disease (1 in 8) as of 2010 according the CDC.

"according to the CDC in 2010 1 in 10 American Males were at risk for diabetes* (15,524,409), and 1 in 8 were at risk for heart disease** (19,405,512).

Diabetes - 15M
Heart Disease - 19M

Sexual Abuse - 25-30M"

*http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_252.pdf p 37
** http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_252.pdf p 19

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.