Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (VASurvivor), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63417 Topics
443370 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#404510 - 07/23/12 05:10 PM MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
MaleSurvivor fully supports the sanctions levied against Penn State this morning by the NCAA. We applaud NCAA president Mark Emmert, Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee, as well as the NCAA executive committee and the Division I board for their swift, significant, and appropriate response. We are satisfied that these sanctions strike a balance between punishment and promotion of healing change at the University. However, as the nation discusses the ramifications and import of these sanctions, MaleSurvivor urges us all to remember that the heart of this story is not Penn State, nor college athletics – but the brave young men who courageously took the stand and who still face years of healing.

We also applaud Penn State president Rodney Erickson for signaling the University’s immediate acceptance of these unprecedented sanctions by signing the consent decree. To contest any part of these sanctions would have been grossly inappropriate. MaleSurvivor has been impressed by the steps that the University has taken to promote healing, the tone of contrition spoken by senior officials, and their resolve to change the community for the better. Acceptance of and compliance with the NCAA sanctions today is an important step in the healing process for all of those who have been harmed. Further, we hope that a significant portion of the funds from the $60 million fine will be dedicated to unrestricted funding of the ongoing therapeutic needs of the survivors, some of whom may require support for many years to come.

Moving forward MaleSurvivor remains committed to working with the Penn State administration and University community to aid and assist their efforts to help both the survivors and the community heal. We are confident that the board and senior leadership at the University, the Alumni Association, and the Penn State Letterman’s Association will continue to follow the lead of President Erickson. The tragic consequences of a football culture that had come to dominate everything else are all too clear.

There are no heroes in this tragedy, save the survivors who found the strength to come forward and seek justice. Any actions that the NCAA, Penn State, and the community take must be viewed from their perspective. Others will debate the future of the football program for years to come, for today at least, I urge everyone to save some of their concern for the needs of all survivors who continue to need support so that they can heal.

Christopher Anderson
Executive Director

#404531 - 07/23/12 07:53 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I'd like to hear about some PSU sanctions that don't even mention football. Sanctioning the store that sold the candy to the molester is pointless.

John

#404537 - 07/23/12 08:27 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Emmert said the NCAA is reserving the right to "sanction individuals" after the completion of any "criminal proceedings" or something like that, by which I assume he means Spanier, Curley etc.

So maybe that helps?

#404554 - 07/23/12 09:48 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
jls Offline

I am pleased that Penn state accepted the sanctions without reservation. As we've seen some have argued that the penalties imposed were too harsh, or that they punish innocent players, etc. Yes the consequences imposed on the Penn State organization will have an adverse effect on innocent individuals who played no role in this scandal but so it has to be. It is no different than it would be for anyone who through no wrong doing of their own found themselves out of luck as a result of working for, volunteering for or playing for an organization that behaved poorly and needed to be sanctioned as a result. (The unfortunate fate of many Wall Street employees comes to mind.) Besides all this I would like to believe that any right thinking person, football fan or not, would put the sake of the game aside long enough to contemplate the catastrophic errors that occured here in order to begin to reconcile them, which is exactly the kind of needed time out that these sanctions provide. It can't just be business as usual for a while.

#404579 - 07/24/12 07:00 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Merci Offline

Loc: U.S.
Thank you Chris, and everyone else on the Admin team. Official responses from survivor groups are critical at a time like this, since such a high profile case has opened up more dialog on the issue of sexual abuse than possibly any other in the history of the U.S.

#404602 - 07/24/12 10:40 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I am sad to see that MaleSurvivor supported the sanctions against PSU in toto.

These sanctions will have the effect of denying certain funding to adult students that have no connection to what happened in the Sandusky matter but simply wish to play football for Penn State in exchange for an education.

These sanctions will also hurt past players that had no knowledge of what Sandusky was doing by vacating the wins that they earned on the field.

These sanctions will also have the effect of creating a further divide between male survivors by giving a considerable funding source to child sexual abuse programs while ignoring other types of male survivors. The better solution would have been to create a funding source, through the fine, for male survivor programs in general.

I do hope that a part of this money is used to help the direct survivors of Sandusky. They deserve no less.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#404604 - 07/24/12 10:57 AM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Brian,

Thanks for your comment. I respect your opinion although we disagree. I did want to address two things.

First, one of the reasons I was supportive of the sanctions is because I felt the NCAA crafted them with current student athletes in mind and mitigated, to the extent possible, the harm the might suffer as a result the sanctions. Present scholarships are preserved, and the reduction of overall scholarships in the future means student athletes will attend other programs. The "death penalty" that some had wanted I felt would have been inappropriate, and would have done far more harm to current students.

That said, it's undeniable that the overall culture at Penn State had been tolerant of, and willfully ignorant of many forms of abuse for a long time. (And Penn State is far from alone in this, I should stress). It's dangerous to put all the current athletes and recent lettermen on a pedestal and claim they were all innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever. Anyone who would try to claim that every scholar athlete at the school lived up to the ideal that Paterno's image was built upon is woefully blind to the reality of football culture.

I believe the vacating of past wins is largely a symbolic matter that has far less of an impact of the athletes than some make out. I respect that lots of people will have different opinions on this, especially those who are or were athletes themselves. I find it difficult to accept that the vacating of wins from 10 years ago will in any significantly jeopardize anyone's current potential to make a living, or undermine their standing as a successful former college athlete. The main impact of the decision to vacate those victories is to strip Paterno of the legacy of being the winningest coach in college football. An outcome that I feel is just and appropriate given his actions in the past.

As to the fund, I am hopeful that MaleSurvivor's efforts at outreach at Penn State will give us the opportunity to raise that very point and ensure that at least some of that funding goes to benefit the healing of all survivors, no matter when they were abused.

Chris

#404654 - 07/24/12 05:22 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
ren42 Offline

Edited by ren42 (12/29/12 06:31 AM)

#404664 - 07/24/12 06:38 PM * [Re: Chris Anderson]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 11:40 AM)

#404679 - 07/24/12 09:39 PM Re: MaleSurvior Statement on NCAA Sanctions [Re: Chris Anderson]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
+1
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.