Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
5 registered (susie, CafeMan, 3 invisible), 50 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62512 Topics
438095 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#404457 - 07/23/12 09:25 AM NCAA gives Penn State 4 year Bowl Ban
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
NCAA penalties to Penn State. It's a good thing.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ins-dating-1998

#404459 - 07/23/12 09:58 AM Re: NCAA gives Penn State 4 year Bowl Ban [Re: Disappointed]
Niels Offline
MaleSurvivor

(Reuters) - The governing body of U.S. college sports on Monday banned Penn State University from post-season football bowl games for four years, fined the school $60 million and imposed other sanctions in an unprecedented punishment for not taking action after being alerted to child sex abuse by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.
[url= http://www.dailypress.com/news/breaking/sns-rt-us-usa-pennstatebre86l07f-20120722,0,1284287.story]dailypress[/url]

Edited by Niels (07/23/12 10:01 AM)

#404462 - 07/23/12 10:17 AM Re: NCAA gives Penn State 4 year Bowl Ban [Re: Disappointed]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was very worried that that these penalities would punish the athletes and the enconomy around the college. While the bowl game loss does do that somewhat, I'm happy to say that I believe these sanction were well thought out and appropriate.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#404465 - 07/23/12 10:52 AM Re: NCAA gives Penn State 4 year Bowl Ban [Re: Disappointed]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I hate agreeing with the NCAA, because mostly it's a corrupt cartel that makes billions from free labor and its rulings are often arbitrary and motivated by school rivalry... but in this case, it seems to have done a good job.

A few things: it remains to be seen where that $60million fine is going to go... We at MS and elsewhere in the advocacy community need to keep an eye on that money. It could do a lot of good for raising awareness, supporting survivors and professionals who are dedicated to helping survivors, and to hopefully prevent future abuse -- but without vigilance, that money could be wasted, misspent or pocketed.

2) The vacated wins going back to 1998 is huge for us. It is a moral victory for the survivor community for the NCAA to say, in effect, you don't deserve to win a single game if you let one allegation of child abuse slip by.

This is a big deal, especially since even the prosecutor's office waiting to arrest Sandusky until AFTER Paterno had broken the record for most wins by a single coach. Even the prosecutor's office left Sandusky out hunting until JoePa's legacy was secured... the NCAA just wiped that legacy away.

If you have trouble dealing with Penn State fans and Paterno apologists, I'd stay away from Facebook and Twitter today.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.