Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (don64, pete1973), 59 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63119 Topics
441402 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#404349 - 07/22/12 11:47 AM Penn State Removes Paterno Statue
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Admitting that "Coach Paterno's statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing in our university and beyond," Penn Sate Pres. Rodney Erickson decided to remove the statue early Sunday, six months do the day since Paterno's death.
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#404415 - 07/22/12 09:59 PM * [Re: scottyg]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 06:13 PM)

#404434 - 07/23/12 01:38 AM Re: Penn State Removes Paterno Statue [Re: scottyg]
jls Offline

It reminds of me of the statues torn down of various fallen human rights abusers around the world, and yes, child abuse is a violation of human rights.

#404460 - 07/23/12 10:02 AM Re: Penn State Removes Paterno Statue [Re: scottyg]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
This is a crying shame.

Joe Paterno's statue did not deserve to come down. It's a shame that people continue to attack the man even after his death.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#404551 - 07/23/12 09:28 PM Re: Penn State Removes Paterno Statue [Re: scottyg]
jls Offline

So I suppose you'd excuse the Pope in Rome too for not acting to sanction pedophile preists even though he knew about their activities and did nothing?? Forgive the comparision but it's exactly the same thing.

#404798 - 07/25/12 08:46 PM Re: Penn State Removes Paterno Statue [Re: scottyg]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
A colleague of mine on another site wrote:

"They should have kept the statue and just turned it 180 degrees to remind everyone that he "looked the other way."

What a brilliant idea!!!!

#404817 - 07/25/12 10:05 PM Re: Penn State Removes Paterno Statue [Re: scottyg]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I had a chuckle at the "looked the other way" comment.

But Brian, I can understand your feelings. We have to deal with our feelings for the abuser AND those that either helped or did nothing. Sometimes those who did nothing are still loved by us. My mother has a whole lot of blame to bear, my brother turned on me rather than protect me. My brother is gone but I pray for him. My mother is here and active in my and my children's lives. There is a sad coldness that I feel, but I do still love my mother. That isn't easy. I tell you that I once admired Joe Paterno, but after reviewing some pretty convincing evidence that paints a story that makes more sense than the one he offered, I have come to agree with the sanctions.

Paterno and others said he couldn't quite comprehend what had happened, boys being raped. McQuery said he couldn't describe graphically what he saw. Paterno says he passed on the information and did nothing further.

Now, I saw that as suspect at best. First, I went to McKinley High School in NE Ohio. Joe Paterno visited that high school regularly on the recruiting trail. All the players considering PSU were told up front they should be aware that if they go there, Paterno would know if they farted at supper. Second, a Div 1 starting college QB who couldn't find words to describe to a Div 1 head football coach the sodomization of a boy. Never told any dirty jokes, really? BTW, JoePa had a few of his own so I know that isn't true. This is the same coach who threw the president of the u out of his house when he tried to fire him and simply continued. The same coach who, when faced with being fired declared that he would instead retire at the end of the season. This same coach did no follow up on one of his longest, most trusted assistants raping boys in his locker room? Just never made sense. It was a lie.

Edited by catfish86 (07/25/12 10:07 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.