Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
6 registered (Brokenwife, don64, ethereo222, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63224 Topics
442111 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#394405 - 04/22/12 02:02 AM *
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:25 PM)

#394452 - 04/22/12 11:03 AM Re: Buddhism [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
I am not Buddhist but lived in a Buddhist country for a couple of years. there were a wide variety of different sects as well as differing degrees of observance - from merely cultural tradition to extreme devotion. most of what i gleaned about the belief system was so "foreign" to my way of western thought that i had a really hard time understanding it. but i'd be interested in hearing your experience.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#394695 - 04/24/12 12:26 AM * [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:30 PM)

#404280 - 07/21/12 04:03 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
I knew I liked you Gary! And I love that sage color you've got on the walls in your videos BTW. If I were to humbly critique your content I'd say less 80's boy and more decor. Fabulous! I rock that same color as an accent wall in my living room. I want to resurrect this thread for those of us who would rather not filter spirituality through the idiom of Christanity. I spent many years studying Eastern thought and I really like the fundamental tenants of Buddhism. I have a hard time with ritual though. I see how the chanting of a mantra frees the mind from its spinning and refocuses on simplicity. I wonder do you also belong to a congregation that holds services?
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#404282 - 07/21/12 04:38 PM * [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 06:12 PM)

#407459 - 08/21/12 06:36 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Steve0123 Offline

I mean no offense in expressing my opinions, I admit I have a limited understanding of Buddhism.

I always liked aspects of Buddhism, it seems to encourage letting go of unnecessary negative thoughts and emotions and to try and live simply, but at the same time it seems to advocate having no feelings....being numb, being inhuman....you feel no suffering anymore because you feel nothing anymore...also Buddhism ( the philosophy) claims not to be a religion but a way of life based on knowledge anyone can experience just by being alive....but the ideas of karma and reincarnation as well as other concepts require faith and belief, just like any other religion.

I feel like if everyone was a Buddhist we'd all sit somewhere in silence, farm, eat, sleep and wait to die.

#410818 - 09/20/12 04:23 PM Re: Buddhism [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I'm glad i stepped into the spirituality forum. I rarely come here because I assume it is wrought with tension and people bickering over who's belief is better. Such is my experience of all religions.

Having said that - I grew up a fundamentalist christian, and then became an agnostic and then for a brief period, an athiest.

With lots of soul searching in recovery, and especially in the last 1.7 years I've been working at CSA recovery, I accidentally discovered that I'm a "buddhist", too.

Though I detest religion, and dogma, and religious tradition. Any semblance of control of spiritual expression unnerves me to no end.

I say I 'accidentally' discovered buddhism because I wasn't aiming to become one. And I don't "practice" it, nor do I do any of the known methodologies of practice other than what I've seen on documentaries and through my various readings on spirituality.

I'm a huge science nerd, and regularly follow the updates on the latest discoveries in the quantum realm.

Long story short - the quantum realm seems to be telling us that the fabric of the universe is such that all things are possible (where have I heard that before?) at the quantum level, and that the reality we experience is one of infinite possible realities.

Buddhim comes in here because it is trying to teach us that we are too strongly identified with our thoughts. When we detatch from the thoughts, and detach from our sense of identification "this is who I am", it gives us the freedom and flexibility to become whatever we desire to become.

A funny thing happens when people come to this realization of losing the ego - they gravitate towards becoming compassionate, unconditionally loving beings with a deep sense of empathy for others who are suffering.

I have a way out there idea with regards to this - WAY OUT THERE!! Here goes:

We humans have seriously limited perceptions. 5 small measely perceptions. What other ways are there to experience the universe (the infinite multiverse, if you follow quantum theory)?

My personal belief is this:

The Universe as we experience can only experienced in our heads through the 5 senses.

The Universe is also fundamentally nonlocal - atoms are found in multiple places at once - like all matter is smeared (not a discrete unit of mass).

If the universe is fundamentally nonlocal, then how is it that we perceive "the Universe" a place filled with "locations"? And how can this universe be a part of a multiverse of infinite possiblities?

Here's the mind bender: Each consciousness is a reflection of one a multiverse. What I mean by that is, that my consciousness IS a universe into itself. YOUR consciousness IS a universe into itself. Each consciousness is a universe into itself.

It sounds convoluted, but at the quantum level it works. Why? Because we as conscious beings have the ability to change our experiences and radically alter our experience of our world.

Case in point: Healing. Miracles. recovery. Finding our power. When I change my focus and push my energies towards changing myself, my experience of the universe fundamentally changes too.

And these experiences ring resoundingly true for all who experience it. Profound transformations lead to people feeling like the universe has changed.

It's because the universe can only be experienced subjectively in our consciousness.

----

It's hard to put to words. I've tried many revisions and I'll continue to keep trying. But I think it is what The buddha pointed to, and I think it is what Jesus spoke when he said that we shall move mountains, and that the kingdom of god was within us.

Since the universe can only be experienced subjectively (it's nonlocal!!), then the universe I experience can be fundamentally changed by the choices and changes I make in my life.

Very powerful people like Nelson Mandella, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King were so powerful, they not only changed their own personal subjective experience of the universe, but also altered the course of all of our universes.

Each of us experiences a subjective experience of an infinite multiverse, and because we have self awareness and have the power of choice, we have no idea how powerful we are.

Surprised I put this on this site. Been thinking about this for a while. But I have found it incredibly empowering and I'm experiencing what I can only call "miraculous" healing because of these forays into spirituality and these observations about "quantum" and "consciousness".

Sounds crazy. I'm totally aware of it. Come what may!

D

Edited by Magellan (09/20/12 04:35 PM)

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#411074 - 09/22/12 02:48 PM * [Re: Steve0123]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:15 PM)

#411076 - 09/22/12 02:55 PM * [Re: Magellan]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/29/13 12:15 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.