Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447583 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#404044 - 07/19/12 02:26 AM SEXUAL HARRASSMENT ...ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP
TXAK Offline

In November 2010, my boss came into my office acting weird. I think he was trying to find out whether I am gay or not. He started talking to me and then ended his sentence with a punctuated version of the word "closet". For example:

Everything seems to be OK today unless of course your... CLOSET!!!!

This wasn't the exact wording but it does represent the manner in which he was talking to me. He did this twice. I didn't respond, I just stared at him blankly.

Afterwards he just sat down and began talking to me, I really didn't think anything of it...until I stood up. He was sitting in his chair with the tongue of belt hanging out. I looked at him and he was stroking it like he was jerking off. While doing this he raised his eyebrows several times while giving me a sheepish grin. I just looked at him weirdly and blew it off.

Because of my previous abuse, it eventually got to me. In March 2011, I spoke to a counselor about it. All this time I was still speaking to my boss but feeling a little weird.
My counselor said I should have said something but I didn't.

In the fall of 2011, after a coworker told me that my boss had been pestering a female worker for a date, and then that lady said she would report him if he didn't stop, I said something to a coworker in passing...This person promptly told the rest of the office.

My boss knows that I've said this and has been careful when talking to me. My question is what should I do? I don't want any drama, I just want to be left alone. I think he's doing that now that he knows I've said something, but I feel like I should get my ducks in a row in case something happens.

Can anyone give me advice on this? Is there a statute of limitations? What actions should I take?

Please help.

TXAK

#404062 - 07/19/12 10:24 AM Re: SEXUAL HARRASSMENT ...ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP [Re: TXAK]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi TXAK,

I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV.

The suggestions I have are what come to mind and are not based in law.

First, I would document everything you can remember about that incident and any others which may have occurred. If you can remember the dates and times, include that as well. Also include in your documentation the comment you made to a co-worker, why you made it (she said she was pestered for a date, etc.), and what happened afterward.

Consultations with an attorney are free. You may want to call an attorney who specializes in workplace relations, sexual harrassment or both (or something along those lines). Give as much information as you can so the attorney can give you as complete an answer as possible.

You may also want to contact the Department of Labor and ask them what steps you should take. You can also go online and find the site for the Department of Labor that corresponds to your state. You should be able to find the specific laws and regulations regarding sexual harrassment in the workplace. This site might also be helpful.

Document EVERYTHING. Every comment by your boss or coworkers, snickers, etc. Include dates, times, places. Also include who else was present when certain things were said and / or done. Also keep track if you suddenly start receiving less than favorable treatment or performance reports, especially if they are a significant departure from previous assessments of your performance.

I wish I had more specific information for you.

Anomalous

#404225 - 07/20/12 08:52 PM Re: SEXUAL HARRASSMENT ...ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP [Re: TXAK]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

#404232 - 07/20/12 09:29 PM Re: SEXUAL HARRASSMENT ...ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP [Re: TXAK]
Steve0123 Offline

While you may not win a lawsuit sometimes just filing a complaint can help to establish a record that may force your boss to think twice about harassing people in the future...

#404528 - 07/23/12 07:36 PM Re: SEXUAL HARRASSMENT ...ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP [Re: Steve0123]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.