Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (Jay1159, JW1230, don64, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63791 Topics
445475 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#403577 - 07/13/12 11:49 PM peer abuse article
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
This cites a statistic i have never seen before - 1 in 3 children who are abused are abused by another child. unfortunately, there seems to be too much emphasis on the paranoia of victims becoming abusers, but good info, otherwise.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Child-on-child-sex-abuse-poses-complex-challenges-2447749.php
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#403733 - 07/15/12 09:42 PM Re: peer abuse article [Re: traveler]
jls Offline

A question that comes to mind is what's the difference between normal sex play between children and child-on-child abuse, or is it all defined as the same? I suppose the usual criteria could apply, as in if it is consensual, but as the article described this is hard to discern with children since they have no understanding of what other people's boundaries are in the first place. I know for myself I was involved in sexual activity at around the age of ten with older, more experienced children. I can comfortably call it abuse since a) I was coerced into the activities and while curious was not a fully willing participant, and b), the sexual activities in question were not age appropriate for either myself or for the kids who initiated them, even if they were older than I was. That said, this is how I define my own experience so how do the authorities view it objectively, the difference between abuse and innocent sex play I mean?

#403839 - 07/16/12 09:38 PM Re: peer abuse article [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think you hit the nail on the head with your "a" & "b" -
AND - i would also add what you mentioned about the "older, more experienced" initiators - as being another necessary component: "c" - a difference in power between those involved.

Lee

#403843 - 07/16/12 10:21 PM Re: peer abuse article [Re: traveler]
jls Offline

What you said about differences in power is definitely necessary criteria when it comes to defining what is sexual abuse between children. I think this difference in power can even be a factor when two children are of the same age since kids of the same age can be at different stages of physical development, and also their sexual knowledge can be vastly different, as was the case with me. For instance, one of the cases of child-on-child abuse I experienced was with a girl who was only a year or two older but initiated sexual intercourse with me, which I had no clue about at the age of ten. She shouldn't have either, which leads me to believe that she herself was being sexually abused and was acting it out, which makes me wonder if I was abused by proxy in this way but that's another story.

#403853 - 07/16/12 11:35 PM Re: peer abuse article [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

very true. some of my bullies/abusers were no older than me - but vastly more experienced - since i was really dumb about sex, having been raised in a very sheltered, repressive bubble. they also had the status of being the elite because of their membership in the popular/jock/social clique - while i was a nerd/outcast/scapegoat - hence a huge "power" difference. added to that was the strength of numbers - they had both the respect or admiration of the majority and had outnumbered me in the actual events - as in gang action or mob mentality. that was why the "coercion" (a) was successful. therefore they were right - i was wrong - and the "inappropriate" (b) was excused.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.