Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
3 registered (Cthulhu, Drummer, 1 invisible), 64 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441349 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#403758 - 07/16/12 04:45 AM Panic attacks
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Lately I ahve been geting Flash backs and pannic atacks . They seem to just come out of left field when I least expect them . Any one ealse have this ? and what helps?

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#403778 - 07/16/12 09:50 AM Re: Panic attacks [Re: OKIE MIKE]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Michael,

Panic attacks and flashbacks are the memories and emotional responses to trauma experienced. The abuse we suffered from can be hidden away in our minds for years, we can completely forget the events. When our age, wisdom, recovery process or environment become stable enough to allow the memories to be remembered, it may be frighteningly overwhelming.

• The panic and terror you are experiencing will pass. You will endure it, you will survive it.
  • During an attack, rub your hands together or clap them. Look around the room and begin to name the objects you see, bed, carpet, window. Rub your feet on the floor and feel the texture. This will help you realize you are not being attacked, but that you are remembering it from a safe place.
  • There will be more coming. It will attack, and you will suffer, but it will recede in strength and you will return to a calmer, more grounded state of being.
  • After the attack, calm yourself with breathing exercises(two seconds of breath in through the nose, four seconds out, through slightly parted lips, breathing from the top of your stomach). Sipping a small cup of cold ice water is an effective calming technique.
  • Post, post, post about the attack and the information in it. Reason on the memories you are suffering from and allow your fellow survivors to support and encourage you.

If you have any questions or want more grounding, relaxation or mindfulness techniques, please let me know.

Sam

Edited by sasuva (07/16/12 09:56 AM)

#403816 - 07/16/12 05:49 PM Re: Panic attacks [Re: OKIE MIKE]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Michael,
Are they brought on by "triggers," or do they literally come out of nowhere?

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.