Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
3 registered (JW1230, watzupwitu, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443957 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#403456 - 07/12/12 11:03 PM MaleSurvivor Statement on Freeh Report
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Sorry to be a little late getting this up on the board, but it's been sent out to our media list, and posted on FB and Twitter.

JULY 12, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FROM MALESURVIVOR

MALESURVIVOR COMMENTS ON THE FREEH REPORT CONDEMNING OFFICIALS AT PENN STATE FOR IGNORING THEIR MORAL DUTY

MaleSurvivor Executive Director Christopher M. Anderson issued the following statement responding to the powerful report released on July 12th, 2012 by former F.B.I. director Louis Freeh indicting officials at Penn State for an inexplicable and indefensible "total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims."

"MaleSurvivor commends Mr. Freeh for his clear and unequivocal statement denouncing the choices made by Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno, and Curley to ignore their moral duty to protect the children victimized under their watch by Jerry Sandusky. Mr. Freeh's clear condemnation of decision to place institutional concerns above the welfare of children sends a powerful message to leaders everywhere. The failings of Penn State leadership in the past were inexcusable, have caused the devastation of many lives, and have tarnished, perhaps irrevocably, the reputation of what was once a proud educational institution. There is no excuse for any institution or organization to condone, abet, or attempt to hide abuse within its walls. Mr. Freeh's statements should resonate far beyond State College and ring in the ears of every person that we all have an absolute duty to protect the most vulnerable among us.

Mr. Freeh's remarks were also a vindication in many ways for all survivors of sexual abuse. His conclusion, calling on "Old Main, the Board of Trustees, and the Penn State community" to commit to reform is perhaps the most important part of this report. It remains to be seen whether the current administration will step up to the challenge, but millions of sexual abuse survivors and their loved ones will be watching. We stand ready to offer our support to Penn State if they choose a path of healing, but we will not accept a return to the old ways."

MaleSurvivor is the pre-eminent organization providing information and support to male survivors of sexual abuse and their loved ones. Through it's website (www.malesurvivor.org), Weekends of Recovery program, and International Conferences, MaleSurvivor has helped hundreds of thousands of people to begin healing journeys that have allowed them to put their lives back together. MaleSurvivor has also worked with student groups and the Counselling and Psychological Services staff at Penn State University to provide clinical training and outreach to the Penn State community.

Edited by Chris Anderson (07/12/12 11:03 PM)

#403487 - 07/13/12 10:01 AM Re: MaleSurvivor Statement on Freeh Report [Re: Chris Anderson]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Does the report mention the psychologist's report from 1998, identifying Sandusky as a pedophile? Any mention of the PSU officials' total lack of effort to contact any of the victims before the start of the criminal investigation?

Just wondered; haven't read the report yet.

John

Edited by unhappycamper (07/13/12 10:02 AM)
Edit Reason: typo's

#403510 - 07/13/12 01:07 PM Re: MaleSurvivor Statement on Freeh Report [Re: Chris Anderson]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Yes on all those questions John.

#403520 - 07/13/12 03:39 PM Re: MaleSurvivor Statement on Freeh Report [Re: Chris Anderson]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I started reading the report yesterday--it is so troubling and haunting. It troubled me all day yesterday and today--as I read parts of it now. I feel sick and hurt--so many turned their backs on the boys, and they all knew what was going on. Ego and need to protect the almighty institution, and not the human body and soul of the children. It makes me sad, angry, hurt, so many different emotions. Now it is time for them to apologize and take responsibility for what happened at PSU.

#403821 - 07/16/12 06:04 PM Re: MaleSurvivor Statement on Freeh Report [Re: Chris Anderson]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Summing up some articles on what happens to Penn State:

NCAA, Big Ten could suspend program, boot them out of Big Ten, dock scholarships, Bowl Bans,

Department of Ed: Clery act violations put all forms of financial aid at risk.

PSU's accrediting agency is investigating, meaning a potential loss of accreditation.

If these organizations find what is apparent here about the leadership, the institution of PSU could be in SERIOUS jeopardy.

That is in addition to estimates of $100 million or more in payouts.

BTW, Paterno's family is crying for their Pas reputation, nobody that I have seen has asked if they are concerned about losing their inheritance.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.