Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (wiresguy1, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445532 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#403077 - 07/09/12 10:33 PM MS Conference
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi there,

I'm giving some thought to going to the conference. I have never been to a WOR or any similar type event and it's not far from where I live.

I know that the general topic is "male survivors." Who's the target audience? I saw something on the site about a lot of professionals going there. Is this targeted to the survivors, or the professionals who work with them? Could you post some information about what to expect if you're considering attending the conference?

I also wanted to know if there were any programs, speakers, tracks or presentations that might be relevant to guys who were not sexually victimized as children, but instead were sexually victimized as adults? Is there anything for us at the conference? I really would like to go but at the same time, being made to feel like an outsider rips the wounds of sexual assault wide open.

- Saint John of the Cross

#403147 - 07/10/12 12:22 PM Re: MS Conference [Re: CruxFidelis]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I don't know the breakdown of workshops for CSA v. ASA (the program should be posted real soon).

MS (or before that, NOMSV) conferences have always targeted survivors, partners, professionals who work with them and professionals who are survivors themselves.

It's generally a good mix and some workshops are geared for survivors only, or professionals only, but there are a lot (if not most) for both audiences.

I'm doing two for both audiences, "Disclosure and Confrontation" as well as "Breaking the Cycle of Self-Defeating/Self Destructive Behaviors". I've been going to these conferences for probably 20 years or more (can't remember when they first were done, but I've only missed Orinda in the 90's). They are well worth the trip.

Safety is paramount and we always have safe rooms with a professional to cover anyone who gets upset.

#403232 - 07/11/12 01:20 AM Re: MS Conference [Re: CruxFidelis]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
I look forward to seeing the program info.

I have looked into WOR's and stuff too. As an ASA survivor, I don't currently feel welcome. I know that the e-mails specifically mention men assaulted as adults now. That's a step in the right direction and I think it's great that you say that! But at the same time, I wonder what is actually offered to men like us.

If you read the copy on the main website, 99% of it is all about CSA and very little talks about the experience of a man raped as an adult. When the copy is written about victims they are usually referred to as "boys." I wasn't a boy, I was 27 years old. When people use language that isn't inclusive, I feel left out.

It's gotten to the point where if events, websites or books about sexual abuse don't specifically say that they help men assaulted as adults, I assume they aren't for me. Because most of the times I've inquired I've heard "I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, but we don't have the resources to help you at this time."

SO that's where I'm at. I've been burned a lot of times in my search for help. It's nice to know there are places I can go if I get upset. But since excluding me is upsetting, it would be even better if that didn't happen in the first place.

Edited by CruxFidelis (07/17/12 01:46 AM)

- Saint John of the Cross

#403254 - 07/11/12 08:40 AM Re: MS Conference [Re: CruxFidelis]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Crux:
Maybe you could contact Mic Hunter. He'll be at the conf most likely. He has done a good amount of work with ASA's, particularly in the military. If he's not doing something on ASA, perhaps he can steer you to other resources.

#415187 - 11/03/12 05:13 AM Re: MS Conference [Re: CruxFidelis]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Just received an email from MS that the conference venue is not damaged and that it will be taking place. Thank you MS I have been looking forwatd to attending this conference. I dont care what New York looks like, it proberly looks like I felt when I was a victim, I healed and so will New York thriver .

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.