Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
6 registered (JW1230, susie, Obi, Jay1946, woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447958 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#4028 - 09/04/02 10:13 AM a better day...
ARW Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: LA
Yesterday I wrote in another post (amonsgt other angry, self-piteous bile):

What is with our make-up that makes these past traumas cause us to despise ourselves with such force? Why is there something in me demanding my destruction? What does it mean to be all right? No guilt? No shame? No self-hatred? I think the hardest thing for me to accept, to face, is that like it or not this is who I am, who I have been most of my life. We're here once and at this date, at 37, this is the story of my life. Not what I thought it was, not what I worked towards being, but what I am. End of story.
What I want back I can never have. My childhood, my teens, twenties, thirties. Gone. What do I get at best? Relief from the pain after god knows how long suffering through the recovery. If I'm lucky. If my wife doesn't leave me. If I don't accidentally fuck my kid up by just being the freak that I am. If I can continue to afford the therapy - which is debatable. Relief from the pain. Yee-ha.
As the old TV commercial used to say: Thanks for the gumball Mickey.

Today I can see the holes in this obviously destructive thinking. which is I why I guess I'm glad I put it down in the first place. It's easy to get too attached to the past, what's gone, and to see it all negatively. The truth is I've had some great times along the way, made some great advances along with the failures and missteps. The main truth is I feel like as I start recovery the good things I've become and done are taking a firmer hold, coming more to the surface. The bad is falling back, fighting like hell but definitely falling back. And that feels real. A fact. Not psychobabble or get-out-of-bed baloney. So many of the posts here are so genuinely inspiring and positive. It makes me feel ashamed of my shame. But it also helps make me keep going, and examining my bad times closely. Not hiding from them, or indulging them with alcohol and "busy-ness".

So thanks for being out there, just being out there period. Wish I would have had you around three weeks ago. Deep breath and moving on.

The mind-forged manacles I hear.
-William Blake

#4029 - 09/04/02 11:42 AM Re: a better day...
JamesMichael Offline
MaleSurvivor

ARW,

I'm glad you're doing better. I'm sooo much better knowing that all you guys are out there struggling with the same things I am. Maybe I'll something on the "Spirituality" forum from a talk I heard a couple of years ago by a holocaust survivor. She essentially said 'look for what was there, not at what wasn't there.' That's what I get from your most recent post.

I look forward to more meetings with you here.

JM

#4030 - 09/04/02 01:03 PM Re: a better day...
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I hated history at school, the past didn't seem important at the time. But it is, it's how we measure the present and plan the future, but only if we learn from it.
Not easy to do...

Quote:
'look for what was there, not at what wasn't there.'
that says it all, I hope you put the whole thing on James.
Lloydy

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.