Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (hike1972, VASurvivor, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443361 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#40286 - 02/03/03 07:20 PM the fine line between love and hate.
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
This was written by the Sunday Times correspondent A.A.Gill.
He's without a doubt one of my favourite writers, always thought provoking and very funny.
This is actually a part of this weeks restaraunt review, but as usual he's off topic and making a point that I like and agree with.

Quote:

There are two good things about the country, as in “-side”. One, of course is the motorway that sprints like a thing possessed to the nearest city. The other is that I never return from the mud museum without something new to hate.
Don’t believe what the in-touchy folk with Velcro lives and pitying smiles tell you. Hate is good. Hate is fine. Hate is warm and comforting. Hate lights the darkness and shows the way home. Hate is a doer, a fixer, a trailblazing reformer. Your collection of hates is the most precious thing you own. You will be remembered by the breadth, strength and tempered edge of your hatreds.

Take that smarmy look off your face. I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking: “He’s just being a contrarian. He’s just doing it to annoy. Don’t rise.” But you see, that’s what I hate about you — your supine, good-natured, path-of-least-resistance, anything-for-a-quiet-life docility.

Just think about it. It was Wilberforce’s hatred that abolished slavery. It was hatred of fascism that won the war. It was hatred that forged the Health Service, marched for civil rights, wrote
Magna Carta. It was hating being cold that lit the first fire and hating being wet that built the first house. Hating being picked off; one by one, made the first community. Walk through any great city and feel the hatred and the anger that fuels it. Everything you value most in your life was forged and maintained by hate.
“What about love?” you whine. “Surely love makes the world go round? What the world needs now is love, sweet love.’~ Bollocks.
It needs better-quality hate. Love is passive, indulgent and myopic. If youre dying in agony. love holds your hand. Hatred and anger go and discover a cure. In 4,000 years, hatred built civilisations. And love? What did love give us? Yoga.
Now, I want you all to concentrate, and think hateful thoughts about animal lovers. Wildlife-huggers are the measure of everything that's most depressingly, infuriatingly crap about this country: an amorphous, clandestine, fundamentalist grouping that claims its mandate from the speechless and uncomprehending. These are the sort of people who see in nature an anthropomorphic model for their own pathetic lives, who will love an oily guillemot because a sweaty human is just too frightening.

I like that idea a lot.
Dave

#40287 - 02/03/03 09:24 PM Re: the fine line between love and hate.
Cement Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
If youre dying in agony. love holds your hand. Hatred and anger go and discover a cure. In 4,000 years, hatred built civilisations. And love? What did love give us? Yoga.
I laughed out loud. Thank you David. ahaaaa, wiping a tear of laughter from me eye.

James

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.