Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (31), comeath3 (75), Roy (53), Skeeter (55), tazrad (43), Treehugger75 (39), waterworld (53)
Who's Online
7 registered (petercorbett, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, Obi, Garf, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63991 Topics
446662 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#402504 - 07/03/12 09:22 PM Time wiping the perp's record clean?
ShortedDiode Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON Canada
I spent some time online looking for the old news articles and videos about one of my perps when he was arrested seven years ago after talking with one of my friends about various CSA perps we've known and heard about last week over coffee. Here's the thing: I couldn't find anything.

When I was in college, the career studies professor and others all made a big deal about keeping our online appearances clean because employers look around pretty throughly when they're researching job candidates because of the staying power of things on the internet and yet pretty much everything about the perp's vanished from sight. News articles from seven years ago have disappeared from newspaper websites unless you pay to search their archives and nothing's left from the radio and TV coverage. I couldn't get anything until I used some very specific search terms and only after refining that a couple of times, I was able to pull two articles from a TV network's website out of Google's cache. The text was complete but the pages didn't format properly because graphic elements that formatted the GUI were missing after being deleted years ago along with the videos that went with the story, including the one that had the news helicopter footage from above my parents' house.

I'm having trouble reconciling all the warnings about lack of privacy and evidence of past misdeeds online causing problems finding work when the truth is, let time pass - not even that much time - and even news stories about being a CSA perp fade away. If an average person not knowing what very specific terms to use punched in the guy's name, they'd never discover that he was a CSA perp. Clearly the internet's not the permanent record that it's made out to be, that's for sure.

#402509 - 07/03/12 09:48 PM * [Re: ShortedDiode]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 06:05 PM)

#402525 - 07/04/12 02:37 AM Re: Time wiping the perp's record clean? [Re: ShortedDiode]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
I really wonder about the system. The system here is often trying these cases in juvenile justice court to “protect” the victims identity, but this also serves to protect the identity of the perp. This typically happens when the victim is still a minor… convictions for these so hard because perps fight in court “to death” so to speak… Once the victim becomes an adult the case is often so cold you can’t build a case, so these cold cases are most often never prosecuted… And in some states short statute of limitations make prosecution unlikely.

Also if they work a plea deal, the true threat is often hidden because the lower charges are what shows on the lists. Many perps also just disappear because registration makes creating a new identity worth the risk. Most prosecutors try to work out a plea deal to keep from having a child on the stand… The plea deal means they only get a few years for multiple rapes… Then the system often releases these men often without the counseling they need… Its almost as if they don’t want them in prison because it costs too much to keep them there.

The perp has more rights in court than the victim... The whole system is broke.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.