Newest Members
TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo, Laurie
12485 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
8 registered (Nothing Man, OCN, dan_in_newengland, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12485 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447575 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#402336 - 07/02/12 05:39 AM Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from?
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hi All

Had an interesting search phrase on my BLOG , someone questioning the 1 in 6 stats. I then started the search and although there are studies about CSA, that's it they are just about Violent CSA, they don't include adult rape, or the none violent rape of males.
So essentially we are working on really really outdated stats, and that in my mind is not good enough.
I personally would like to know the prevalence of Male survivors and what they endured in My Country. This will help with funding and treatment.
Any Ideas on how to find these stats, or what info is out there? Let me know please.

Heal well
Martin
smile

#402340 - 07/02/12 08:06 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I in 6 is exclusively statistics concerning male CSA. The only stats I know of concerning male ASA put it conservatively at 1 in 33. If you search through the ASA forum here you will find references and links to those stats. I am out of tow and using my phone or would post the links here. I have never seen the two stats were merged for an overall number concerning "male abuse". I have wondered why that is so.

I would hazard that the CSA stats are conservative as well. I work with what is termed at-risk youth and find that many of them, both male and female, were abused.

Daryl

#402345 - 07/02/12 09:22 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
i always believed that the 1-6 were also csa stats... i also believe that, like daryl suggested, that the #'s are conservative because those are the ones that are reported.

there is a HUGE stigma attached to men/boys about being sexually abused. enough of one that many don't report it. i would tend to believe that men who have been abused as adults the stigma is even stronger and even less reported. hence the reason i think the #'s are conservative....

i would believe that the #'s are closer to 1 -5, maybe even 1-4....

my story

my vlog

#402347 - 07/02/12 09:56 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: Obi]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I don't know the origin of the statistic.

I do know that the rate of victimization varies depends on what region you're in. I've heard that it's 1 in 2 in New York City. In some areas it may be 1 in 50.

Puffer

#402362 - 07/02/12 01:32 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
Based on the fact that I know of 7 of us that were abused by the same perpetrator at 8 years old... Only 1 never suffered from suppressed memories.... Only 2 including the one that had suppressed memories remembers. This was a violent CSA by the way...

I think the numbers are way higher...

Conservative is right…...

#402365 - 07/02/12 01:55 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
I've always wondered about the validity of those sats as well especially when agencies collecting data readily acknowledge under-reporting by victims. I wonder if it's time to support an independent survey using empirical research techniques like they do for every other kind of study. In the USA it would be especially relevant given the headlines the sandusky case continues to make. However, on second thought that would be an extremely difficult phone call to make. Can you imagine how triggering those questions would be?
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#402372 - 07/02/12 02:21 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Martin I think that is very difficult to find reliable and new statistic about this. The source for fact about 1 in 6 boy in US that has been exposed to sexual violence includes boys under 18 years, Source: Hopper, J. (1998), Child Sexual Abuse: Statistics, Research, Resources. Boston, MA Boston University School of Medicine. This study has been very much cited and certainly it has been conducted in scientific way, so what ever we might think this number could be as reliable as every other statistic. Those are just numbers I agree but I wonder where could leave us too much of questioning.
We need higher awareness on all levels in our societies, many of them are not ready to face some facts to face. Facts that there are average people who are violent in sexual way to children or other adults, no matter on numbers, even one victim is for me enough and even one bad respond to victims by officials.
I made short comment on your blog regarding this and by the way your last pics there is great smile!
Pero

#402404 - 07/02/12 07:11 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi Martin,

It is extremely difficult to get "accurate" statistics about the sexual abuse/ assault/ rape of males, child or adult, since crimes of a sexual nature are the most under-reported crimes.

Pero has given you good information about the resource for the "1 in 6" statistic, which only refers to male CSA. I also agree that the statistic is probably low and reality reflects the statistic for girls, which is 1 in 4.

The lack of reliable information regarding the sexual abuse/ assault and rape of men is due to several facts.

First, it is rarely reported.

When it is reported, law enforcement may not take the reports seriously, especially if the situation is between two males. Unfortunately, the situation is usually regarded as a "lover's spat," and it becomes the source of ridicule, rather than treated as the serious situation it really is.

In the United States, the current defintion of rape only applies to females, which is a big problem. A new definition is being considered, but has not yet been adopted. Also, to "prove" that "violent crime" is "down," many assaults (of males or females) are "recharacterized" to give the public the false impression that the environment is safer.

If a "rape" is recorded as something other and then pleaded to in court as the offense other than rape, the crime statistics will show the crime on court record, not the actual rape.

It is a sick manipulation of the truth, for political gain, which does nothing for survivors.

So, back to your question:

Quote:

Any Ideas on how to find these stats, or what info is out there?

It is vital to have accurate information since funding relies heavily on that information.

Ironically, it is difficult to get accurate information when the services do not exist.

The classic "catch 22."

If rape crisis centers in your country also provide services to males, they might be a source of the prevalence and incidence of the sexual abuse/ assault and rape of adult males. If there is a Psychological Association, they may have information regarding any research being done on the subject.

If you have access to the Psych Info data base, you will spend many hours searching, and you may find some studies there.

Other sources of information might be through the agencies that treat infectious diseases, though their statistics will be limited to the populations they treat.

There are also several populations to consider: those who are incarcerated, those who are not incarcerated, those who are in hospitals, those who are in residential care facilities (medical or psychological), and sex workers. The abuse of those who are vulnerable, medically or psychologically, is something which occurs at alarmingly high rates, as is the rape of those who do sex work.

The truth is, there is little information about the subject, because this is an "invisible" problem. Many clinicians do not have information about the sexual abuse/ assault or rape of adult males. It is something that just isn't considered, and it is not part of their education. Another barrier is the attitudes of clinicians. Some refuse to believe that adult males can be victimized. When an adult male discloses such an experience, he is often told he was "experimenting" and now has "remorse." Or that he does not want to "admit" he is "gay." There are also female clinicians with their own issues about men who will never accept that men can be victimized.

The lack of consideration of these experiences is a glaring deficit among the helping professions. And for as "much" information there is about the sexual assault and rape of adult males, there is virtually none about the frequent sexual abuse of adult males, outside of those with disabilities who are being forced to provide sexual "favors" in exchange for the care they need, or outside of the sexual abuses that occur institutions.

You may be the one who becomes the voice of education through In-Services, speaking at conferences for therapeutic professionals, and before your legistlative bodies. Only by getting the word out that the sexual abuse/ assault and rape of adult males occurs, will anyone start to take an interest in the fact this is occuring and in how to help the victims of these sexual abuses.

I wish I had more information. This is a problem on this side of the pond as well.

Anomalous

#402498 - 07/03/12 06:27 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Good question.

I couldn't find it either when I've searched for it online.
So, I did my own analysis among the people I know. It went something like this:
someone, someone, someone, KEITH, someone, someone.

I guess I came up with the same number. (?)

#402505 - 07/03/12 09:32 PM * [Re: whome]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 06:04 PM)

#402524 - 07/04/12 02:32 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hehehehe Thanks Keith for that incredibly scientific insight, made me smile though, although truth be told it should make us all cry.
I look at my family, me brother brother step brother, all victims so we are 4 out of 6, screws the figures a bit.

Thanks all for the responses. I am going to post another thread about what sort of info is needed or would be of interest. Any ideas here would help a lot.

heal well
Martin

#402658 - 07/05/12 06:02 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Steve0123 Offline

If that 1 in 6 criteria is true that means there are at least 25 million men in the USA in a similar situation as some of us....where are they? I have never actually met a man who is a survivor of csa....many women, sometimes it feels like every woman....but never a man.

#402699 - 07/05/12 10:53 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I met a few dozen CSA-surviving men when I attended some groups early in my recovery process, but I haven't met any face-to-face in other settings. No matter what the CSA percentage is, obviously we don't like to disclose.

John

#402706 - 07/06/12 02:16 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is what makes this such a difficult thing to sort.
We need a men's revolution, similar to the woman's lib movement, something that will raise awareness of the fact that men also suffer in silence and don't really have too.

Heal well all
Martin

#402787 - 07/06/12 06:46 PM * [Re: whome]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 06:06 PM)

#402822 - 07/07/12 04:26 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks STB.

I am here asking People, Victims, For their opinions, for their input.
How do we raise awareness about the sexual exploitation of men. Gee those words in a sentence don't kinda sit right do they. THE SEXUAL EXPLOITATION OF MEN? Dont think we are going to get a lot of help from healthy men on this.

Please Guys, I know that you are all struggling with your own healing, but please take time out and jot some Ideas about how to raise awareness and remove the shame and fear of reporting Sexual abuse Perpetrated on men.

Heal well
Martin

#402829 - 07/07/12 09:22 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Healing is hard and I have found one way to help me is to speak about it and not be silent. Some people are so in the dark about CSA and how it is related to trauma, PTSD and the triggers and flashbacks that come with it.

I will give it some thought. I have joined an organization Stop CSA, attended some events, I have written editorials, talk to people about it--and there are some great people out there who do not judge but are open and there to be a shoulder in times of need. Then there are others--who are ignorant and demeaning, they say they are compassionate and good people, but when you hear them you would not see those traits. So victims are scared to speak because of the reactions--

But yes, the world needs to know and those who doubt it, should feel grateful and blessed they do not have to live it.

#402832 - 07/07/12 11:17 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
F.A. Offline

Loc: United States
1 in 6 comes from the under reporting by males because of the stigma. I am would not be surprised to find out it is 1 in 4 or even 1 in 3

To be sick is to be fragmented. To be healed is to become whole, and to become whole one must be in harmony with family, friends, and nature" -Navajo-
Blog: http://csafresno.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/CSAFresno
My Story: http://tinyurl.com/78upvvu

#402835 - 07/07/12 12:36 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
JLM35 Offline

Loc: Earth
1 in 6 males will be abused before the age of 18. Those statistics are thought to be much higher unfortunately, because they only reflect the number of victims who have actually reported the abuse.

Here's some other statistics for you:

The average child abuser in his/her lifetime has abused more than 100 children. It is thought that more than 5 times that number has been at least "groomed," but physical sexual assault never occurred.

Male and female children are more often abused by their own biological parent(s), mainly heterosexual married men, or rather their own fathers. After parental abuse, there's another relative, close family friend, teacher, coach, and so on. Believe it or not, but Catholic priests account for just a small portion of child sexual predators; less than 5%. (I was abused by at least one Catholic priest, maybe 2. I just have sketchy memories of a second priest abuser. I was also abused by a close family friend.)

Me than 80% of child sexual abuse victims will never report the abuse to anyone, most especially law enforcement.

Often, Statute of Limitation laws prevent many victims from charging their perpetrators criminally and/or civilly. It couldn't be more important for the sake of today's children, and the future of children than to demand from our elected leaders to change the current state of the law.

I've been dealing with my past history of sexual abuse since just after the Boston catholic abuse scandal broke in 2002. I have been in therapy for almost 9 years. I have done hypnosis and EMDR, with some success. The best decision I ever made was to choose to live.

If it wasn't for my wife, my children, and Johnny Cash I might not be alive.

I guess I wrote more than what was asked, but my fingers just wouldn't stop. Take care!

JLM

#402845 - 07/07/12 04:16 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Steve0123 Offline

What helped me even allow myself to think about my own abuse was researching some famous/ succesful men who have dealt with this issue... if there are more out there I wish they would come forward...

#402849 - 07/07/12 06:38 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Regarding movements - check out www.1bluestring.org. It's an awareness campaign meant to get people to understand and start talking about the 1 in 6 statistic. This Fall it's going to be nationwide - sort of the "pink ribbon" campaign for men like us.

Chris

#402892 - 07/08/12 05:16 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
The US Government. By waw of the Verterans Admistration . Has info that agree with One in Six

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#403239 - 07/11/12 05:30 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK

So great responses here, There seem to have been Three studies done on the Subject. One in 1984 one in 1979 and one in 1996, by a Dr John Hooper.

OK So old stats and really outdated ideas.

If any one is keen to assist me in starting a study, I can only do South Africa, and I am thinking of starting at the Universities, Colleges and Schools, Then Drop me a line and let me know.
I will try to contact Dr Hooper and get the criteria for the study and see if we can use that as a basis so there is some consistency.

So for you brave lads, Let me know.

Thanks all
Martin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.